BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transmission Pan/Filter/Fluid Replacement

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Catanzaro 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to post a quick thread,

I have 100k on my E66 745 and today I changed the transmission pan/filter with one of the kits off eBay...its a ZF pan (kit)

Stripped a few of the bolts getting them off but had spares on hand

Refilled (per BMW procedure) with Redline D4 ATF took 8 quarts and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

Didn't change the sealing sleeve as it was bone dry...I'll probably regret that I didn't 20k miles down the road but oh well

Anyways,

It shifts MUCH smoother and the 2 to 1 holy **** I was just rear ended slam shift is GONE

Hope it helps someone...screw the lifetime fluid definitely not meant to last that long

Change your fluid/pan!

~Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
Changing the fluid makes a big difference. But 8 quarts. Did you have a leak? I would get the car to just the point where the engine is fully warm after running the car for about 3 minutes (but you already know that, lol) and then take the drain plug out on a level ground to determine if the fluid pours out quickly. We were only able to get 6.5 quarts in with a leak that was caught super early. Just curious to know how long the leak was if there was any? How many miles were on your car?. Also what method did you use to put the fluid back in. A hose front the top to bottom. Pumped in with a machine or tool. That is the hard part. Only if they put a dipstick. Unbeleivable they would go that route. I will never own another car again without dipsticks, especially for the tranny.

#3 ·
I didn't have a leak but I drained the fluid with the car cold and it had been sitting for over a week (I figured if it hadn't run more of the fluid would drain back down into the pan) Starting the engine pumps fluid up into the transmission so I didn't start it and figured since it had been sitting for so long more would have settled back into the pan. I have just over 100k on the car.

Putting the fluid back in is a total pain with the exhaust there, I only managed to burn myself 3 times :mad: I ended up running a hose from the fill plug out to the side of the car and had a helper pour it in with a funnel (slow process but worked perfectly)

#4 ·
i changed the transmission pan and oil 6 months ago i did some research so i used ford mercon SP oil i changed all the bolts with regular ones i remember the BMW Allen bolts were $5 each and im very sure this is nothing special about these bolts but the trouble of getting them off, so i bought 8.8 bolts like this

and some steel washers, 6 months later i have no problems or leaks

defiantly the transmission is smother but the 2-1 harsh shift is still a problem but i can live with that .

#5 ·
Those bolts worked fine? The bolts are $1.83 on this website? Check my posts for future reference. That could be the reason why my tranny had shifting problems the first go around. The Indy told me the fluid was low because of the leak. I knew he underfilled it. So chances are that the tranny takes more than 6 quarts. Bav auto and the others tell you 6. It is always wise to order more. As for the 2-1 harsh downshift, here is something that may help. It worked on my car.

SUBJECT
Harsh 3-2 and/or 2-1 Downshifts
MODEL
E65 and E66 (7 Series) 745i and 745Li with N62 and GA6HP26Z transmission
Vehicles from SOP up to 03/2005
SITUATION
IMPORTANT:
Depending on the production date of the vehicle; there are different situations, and corrective measures, that
must be carefully followed. Running production changes in vehicle hardware and software divide these
situations into three distinct production periods.
A. For vehicles produced from SOP up to and including 02/2003:
***56256;***56443; Harsh 3-2 and / or 2-1 downshift when slowing to a stop
***56256;***56443; Harsh downshift when accelerating at highway speeds
***56256;***56443; "Clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during load reversal
as described in SI B24 14 07 and SI B26 01 06.
B. For vehicles produced from 03/2003 up to and including 08/2003
***56256;***56443; "Clunk" noise during 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during load reversal
C. For vehicles produced from 09/2003 up to and including 02/2005
***56256;***56443; Harsh 3-2 downshift when slowing to a stop
***56256;***56443; "Clunk" noise during a 2-1 downshift while driving slowly to a rolling stop, or during load reversal
CAUSES
EGS software calibration
Driveshaft guibo coupling deterioration for "clunk" noise complaints
CORRECTION
For Situation A: Harsh downshift complaints
1. Verify that the transmission fluid level is correct.
SI B 24 17 07
Automatic Transmission
July 2007
Technical Service
Page 1 of 3
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B241707g.htm 11/9/2007
2. Perform a "Short test" and correct all Drivetrain related faults first.
3. Submit a Puma case titled "Coasting Jolt" to obtain the access code needed to complete the retrofit
reprogramming of the EGS module.
4. Start a Progman session using only V26.1.1 or higher and select "Coasting Jolt" from the retrofit options
menu. The measures plan should indicate a higher programmed number and an EGS calibration change.
5. Clear the EGS adaptations after programming is completed.
For "clunk" noise complaints, vehicles produced 10/2002 up to and including 02/2003, inspect the driveshaft
guibo coupling for deterioration or separation as described in SI B24 14 07.
For Situation B: "Clunk" noise complaints
1. Verify the complaint
On vehicles produced from 03/2003 up to and including 08/2003 the only repair is to inspect the driveshaft
Note:
There are not any further EGS software changes for vehicles in this production period.
For Situation C: Harsh 3-2 downshift complaints
1. Verify that the transmission fluid level is correct.
2. 2. Perform a "Short test" and correct all Drivetrain related faults first.
3. Submit a Puma case titled "Urban Program" to obtain the access code needed to complete the retrofit
reprogramming of the EGS module.
4. Start a Progman session using only V26.1.1 or higher and select "Urban Program" from the retrofit
options menu. The measures plan should indicate a higher programmed number and an EGS calibration
change.
5. Clear the EGS adaptations after programming is completed.
For "clunk" noise complaints, vehicles produced 09/2003 up to and including 02/2005, inspect the driveshaft
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.
If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.
Page 2 of 3
http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B241707g.htm 11/9/2007
Defect Code 24 00 39 61 00
[ Copyright © 2007 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Page 3 of 3

#6 · (Edited)
Catanzaro i tried all of that , the problem is the adaptation that need to be relearn from the driver , everybody say reset the adaptation but no one tells you what is the relearn steps , i don't know why BMW don't just put this adaptation like every other company and save us the trouble .

by the way even the new F01 have this problem! .

i bought the bolts all of them with washers for like $2 :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.