BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My new mufflers

12K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  E92-Lighting 
#1 · (Edited)
I have posted an exhaust sound video before, when I removed all 4 resonators and did a step up x-pipe...well since then, I had been working with a muffler manufactor to make me prototype mufflers, here is the finished product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdc-SfiezO4&feature=youtu.be

I will be uploaded a revving video later

PS: I may end up having these manufactured, or I may not...I need to do a more in-depth cost analysis to determine if it would be a profitable product to sell.

#7 ·
Like I said they were just recorded using phones.

Anyone feel that they would want to buy this exhaust?

I'm not making any sales, to avoid forum penalty I want to make that perfectly clear, just gauging other 6er enthusiast interest, in this exhaust setup, and as I stated earlier not 100% sure if I'll end uo having them produced, just curious to hear thoughts and opinions.

What are mufflers and x-pipes worth to you personally?

And would your interest be in the laddered x-pipe(pre-fabbed that increases in size in the middle the back down on exit to increase flow and performance) and mufflers? Or just the mufflers?

I included a picture to see how the muffler's tips look.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Attachments

#8 ·
woo i love the sound awesome
i about to put muffler too
i have x-pipe and oem muffler.
i just bought muffler (i thought it was magnaflow but it wasn't it's call magaflow muffler) after i install i will post video
b4 and after

#17 ·
Guys a quick update, here is the x-pipe I used and I'd be having manufactured, notice the step increase in diameter in the center, for sound and flow it makes a difference. I can't sell them yet, but if I had to assume a fair price I would probably do $60 + shipping. If their is interest, please respond, and I will become a forum sponsor and could start selling and shipping within two weeks.

Attachments

#18 ·
Guys a quick update, here is the x-pipe I used and I'd be having manufactured, notice the step increase in diameter in the center, for sound and flow it makes a difference. I can't sell them yet, but if I had to assume a fair price I would probably do $60 + shipping. If their is interest, please respond, and I will become a forum sponsor and could start selling and shipping within two weeks.

Looks good!!!!

#19 ·
Here is how the setup looks from the rear, I decided on these tips because I wanted an almost OEM BMW performance look.

The mufflers would probably be about $100-120 per muffler +shipping, the tips are welded on, so no added expense of tips.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
For whatever reason I can only attach one picture per post, but here is a picture showing how much work is required by a shop to install them.

Most shops would charge about $100-$150 for install on both mufflers and probably $50-$75 on the x-pipe.

Attachments

#23 ·
It's not problem for a muffler shop. The most likely route would be a sleeve over the two pipes then weld that. You can also butt weld two identical pipes together but it's not as strong and takes some skill.

#26 ·
Photos of x-pipes

Hope this helps

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
#31 ·
I am interested in mufflers

#33 ·
I would most likely be interested in the mufflers. The only thing that I don't like is the oval tips with a circular bumper. It really makes it look like it isn't designed for that car. Other than that the sound is awesome. I have all the resonators replaced with the x pipe in the front. I am only lacking the good sound quality of some nice mufflers.

#34 ·
Interesting, because the OEM tips are oval, just not as wide and when I was selecting tips I wanted something that looks like it could have came that way. They fit in the bumper cutouts with like 1/4" inch to spare on each side.

#36 ·
wow super nice
what kind of muffler is it?
how much and where can i get them?

#38 ·
A few pics from my magnaflow install yesterday...the sound is sick.

Attachments

#39 ·
nice
can i ask which Magnaflow Custom cat back race exhaust? part #?
what's the Inlet/Outlet Size? is inlet in the middle?

i really want to upgrade my exhaust
please help

thank you

#40 ·
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get any part #s because everything was supplied and customized in house, the inlets are to the side so all brackets could be fabricated to match the originals, the tips were also custom made so there would not be a need to cut my bumper. My 1st choice was to use custom black chrome oval tips but the shop said they would turn gold after awhile. I think I will have the existing tips cut and go with a staggered quad setup.

I will call the shop and get all info you need this week, I was at the Nopi nationals this weekend (winning of course) and my friend recorded the exhaust note, I will post the link as soon as he puts it on You tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.