BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Recall for 2012-14 BMW X3 Models with N20/N26 engine for loss of brake power

18K views 56 replies 20 participants last post by  pmacd55 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW recalls 3 series 5 series X1 X5 Z4 with N20 or N26 engine

Delivery of N20 and N26 powered vehicles stopped as a result of power brake assist problem

On September 26th, BMW of North America announced to NHTSA its intention to conduct a voluntary Recall on certain 2012-2014 model year BMW 3 Series, 5 Series, X1, X3 and Z4 models equipped with the N20 or N26 engine, produced from May 2012 to August 2013.

Affected vehicles in dealer inventories will not be sold or delivered to customers until the recall repair has been performed. Vehicles at BMW vehicle delivery centers will be corrected before shipment to dealerships. Existing owners will be notified of the recall by letter with a solution coming in December.

The Problem:
The oil supply from the intake camshaft to the brake vacuum pump can become restricted. If this happens the brake vacuum pump could fail due to lack of lubrication, resulting in a loss of power brake assist.

The hydraulic brakes will still function to stop the vehicle but without power assist. Without assist the driver will need to apply much greater pedal pressure to stop the vehicle. The distance required to stop the vehicle will increase as most drivers will not be able to apply enough brake pedal pressure.

In the event of a loss of brake power assist pull the emergency brake and apply as much brake pedal pressure as possible. If your BMW has an electronic parking brake pull up and hold the switch to engage the brake.

Move away from traffic and park in a safe location as soon as possible. Contact BMW Roadside Assistance and have your vehicle taken to the nearest BMW dealer.

Solution and Repair
A repair solution for vehicles already on the road is under development and not available at this time. Existing owners will be notified of the recall in November by letter and again in December by letter when parts are available. Wait to receive your notification letter before contacting your dealership for service. The repair letter will be sent when the dealership has the necessary parts, tools and procedures to preform the repair.

The solution involves inserting a locking ring onto the camshaft so the oil supply to the brake assist vacuum pump is not impaired. The repair will take approximately two hours but can vary depending on your BMW dealers schedule. The repair will be preformed free of charge.

Affected Models
  • 2012-14 320i/328i, 320i/328i xDrive Sedan manufactured between May 2012 ***8211; August 2013
  • 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagon manufactured between March 2013 ***8211; May 2013
  • 2012-13 528i, 528i xDrive Sedan manufactured between June 2012 ***8211; June 2013
  • 2013-14 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i manufactured between June 2012 ***8211; June 2013
  • 2013-14 X3 xDrive28i manufactured between June 2012 ***8211; August 2013
  • 2012-14 Z4 sDrive28i manufactured between June 2012 ***8211; June 2013
Models not list are not effected due to different lubrication and vacuum pump designs.

Number of vehicles affected in the US
Up to 76,190 BMWs are affected by this safety issue. The model break down is as follows -
  • 2012-14 320i/328i, 320i/328i xDrive Sedan - 37,473 potentially affected
  • 2014 328i xDrive Sports Wagon - 176 potentially affected
  • 2012-13 528i, 528i xDrive Sedan - 12,708 potentially affected
  • 2013-14 X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i - 10,547 potentially affected
  • 2013-14 X3 xDrive28i - 14,517 potentially affected
  • 2012-14 Z4 sDrive28i - 770 potentially affected

Known accidents
BMW is aware of three minor accidents with no confirmed injuries as a result of this problem. The NTSB has 7 reported incidents but that does not mean they have 7 accident reports. Vehicles affected have experienced the failure at low millage. It is not clear if having a higher mileage car means you will not have the failure.

Should you continue to drive your N20/N26 powered BMW
BMW says it is safe to continue to drive your vehicle for now. As soon as you get the service letter that will be coming in December you should have the recall work performed. If you feel a loss of braking power pull to the side of the road and have your BMW towed to the nearest dealer by BMW Roadside Assistance.

Are 4 series deliveries going to be affected
BMW has not commented at this time on the 4 series. Models produced as recently as August are affected so it is possible early production 4 series (production started in July) will be held at the vehicle delivery center until the repair is available. We will continue to follow the 4 series delivery story and provided updated information as it happens.

What to do now
We have no choice but to wait for the letters and more information from BMW. In the mean time everyone be careful out there. There are 7 reported incidences of issues to the NTSB so far. The NTSB estimates that for ever report there are 40+ incidents that are not reported. Has anyone had trouble loss of brake assist in their N20/N26 powered BMW? Does this make anyone nervous to drive their BMW

Recall Update:

This is a follow-up to the delivery stop announcement of certain N20 and N26-equipped models. Vehicles on the delivery stop VIN list must not be retailed or delivered until the defect has been corrected.

Technical Description
An oil plug in the intake camshaft may become displaced, restricting oil supply to the vacuum pump. Continued operation may lead to failure of the vacuum pump, resulting in loss of power-assist braking. Only camshafts from one supplier exhibit this issue; therefore, not all N20 and N26-equipped vehicles are involved in the delivery stop and Recall.

A repair solution is under development to secure the intake camshaft oil plug, but will not be available before December.

Customer Notification
Owners of vehicles which have already been delivered will receive initial notification in November, informing them of the issue. A second letter will be mailed in December, advising customers to schedule an appointment with your center to have the Recall completed, when parts and the repair procedure become available.

See less See more
#10 ·
I was just about to put in an order for another, new, 2014 X3 28i the week of Sept. 30. From the announcement, it sounds like any 2014, 4 cylinder, X3 28i built before September likely has this brake issue and I should stay away from it. What I do not understand is has BMW stopped production in Spartanburg? Or has BMW fixed the issue in new production in the U.S. starting in September? Anyone have any insights?

#12 ·
Think BMW would have sorted out the problem at the production line once the issue is known. It would not be in the best interest of BMW to continue mounting engines with known issues. Hence, it should not affect new orders but expect some delays in delivery. otherwise, aim higher for the X3 35i...heavier on the pocket but you get a smooth/quiet engine and a powerful beast!

#16 ·
Seems the recall is now in the newpapers, etc. And dealer client rep confirmed it as well. However, seems they are confident that newly placed order for X3 28i as of today will be built without extra delays... Not sure why they are confident, but that was my take-away from 2 dealers today.

#20 ·
A friend sent his X3 28i for 1st BMW service today. Like mine, his car is also US made (Jan 2013). He checked with the supervisor and the reply he got was the car is not affected by potential loss of brake power. I am not so sure and will continue to be vigilant.

#27 · (Edited)
Near the end of September, BMWNA announced its intention to conduct a voluntary recall on certain 2012-14 BMW 3 Series, 5, X1, X3, and Z4 equipped with an N20 or N26 engine, with production from May 2012- August 2013.

Possible loss of brake power assist could occur, due to a lack of oil supply to the brake vacuum pump from the intake camshaft. Brakes would still function, however greater pedal pressure would be required, increasing stopping distance.

A repair was not yet available, but would involve the inserting of a lock ring onto the camshaft, so the pump would not be impaired.

An update has been issued to the previous announcement. A stop delivery of certain N20/26 equipped models, according to vin, has been announced. Only camshafts from a certain supplier exhibit this issue. This means that not all N20/26 equipped vehicles are not involved in this stop delivery and recall.

A repair is currently under development. It will secure the intake camshaft oil plug, but will not be available before December.

Owners of already delivered vehicles will receive notification in November, to inform on the issue. A second notification will be mailed in December, advising customers to schedule an appointment to have the recall completed, when parts and procedure become available.

The original post has also been updated with this information.

#28 ·
I received a notification from US NHTSA the today (I subscribe to their notifications for vehicles I am interested in). Here is the link to the info about this recall on their site:

NHTSA Campaign ID Number :<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
13V454<o:p></o:p>
Manufacturer :<o:p></o:p>
BMW of North America, LLC<o:p></o:p>
Make / Model Years :<o:p></o:p>
BMW / 2012-2014<o:p></o:p>
Subject : <o:p></o:p>
Loss of Brake Assist/Vacuum Pump Lubrication<o:p></o:p>
*******> ********>

#29 ·
Here's what I found on the NHTSA page.

Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC
SUMMARY:
In a letter dated September 26, 2013, BMW Group submitted a safety recall notice to NHTSA identifying a defect condition in the vacuum pump oil supply that may result in loss of power assist braking in 76,191 model year (MY) 2012 through 2014 BMW 3-Series, 5-Series, X1 SAV, X3 SAV, and Z4 vehicles equipped with 4-cylinder engines (NHTSA Recall 13V-454). According to BMW, movement of the seal disk within the camshaft may result in blocking of the oil supply to the vacuum pump, resulting in improper pump operation and loss of power assist braking. On July 11, 2013, BMW initiated a change to the camshaft geometry that prevented the seal disk from blocking the oil port. BMW has not received any braking complaints related to loss of power assist after the design change was implemented in production. The owners of all affected vehicles will be contacted by mail and asked to take their vehicle to a BMW dealer who will install a locking ring into the camshaft to keep the seal disk in its proper location. BMW expects to begin dealer and owner notification in November 2013 and complete dealer and owner notification in December when the remedy is expected to be available. Based on the actions taken by BMW, this investigation is closed.

My CA called last week to he had checked the database and my vehicle was not included in the recall.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#30 ·
Ok, I get my car is an X3 which is a F25, my engine is an in line 6 cyl. 28i but I do not know what the engine is called, N20 or N26 or whatever? I am not familiar with these codes, can someone tell me what my engine is or is this something I have to check with a dealer?

Thanks!

#36 ·
Got my recall letter today for my X3 and the online search also doesn't show anything. In fact my CA told me a while ago that my vehicle wasn't affected but now I suspect he just plugged the VIN in the online form!

#38 ·
Not heard anything else since the letter.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.