BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New X5 2011 with 46 miles Check Engine Light came on

31K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  ductman 
#1 ·
I just had my shiny new 2011 X5 for 2 days, and not even drove 50 miles and I see check engine light on this morning. I thought it will go away. All day it is still on. Being sunday I cannot call BMW Service.

ANyone has any ideas on what this is or happen to them? Am beginning to worry about BMW. I had a Lexus for 4 years with zero problems and only peace of mind and luxury. I thought I was hoping to a "better" car but already beginning to worry.

Other than that I love my new car!

Thanks for your replies on my problem.

#3 ·
cool, thanks a lot! I will check it in the morning and let you know what it is. I am very curious now to find out. I did not know the idrive can tell you details of it.

Also I heard the bmw assist has info that will be sent via online to bmw centers. Will I be able to see such info by any online system?

Thanks a bunch!

#4 ·
Am beginning to worry about BMW.

but already beginning to worry.

Got it, worried.

There is no way to know what is causing the CEL (check engine light).

All the BMW SOS system will know is "cel", not which of the hurdreds of codes (and hundreds of issues) it might be.

Let us know what the dealer says...in particular YOU WANT THE ACTUAL CODE.

I wouldn't be happy, for sure...but I wouldnt be worried.

A

#56 ·
I have a 2011 x35i and started having the same problem as the OP (I think) around 4000 miles. I am now around 8 or 9000 and the problem has not gone away. I have brought it to the dealership twice, and both times they found "Fault 3227 for DMTL Line Disconnection" (copied that from service dep't paperwork). They claim after further investigation that each time, the fault was incorrect, meaning all related lines/grounds etc checked out fine, and that this appears to be a possible false positive.

The CEL has come on around 5 times in the last 2 months, seems to stay on for a few days at a time (unless the dealership clears the fault), and goes back off for a few days or couple weeks. The latest I heard is that PUMA told the techs they have made this complaint a top priority and would get back to the techs ASAP with a fix. However, it's been a couple months and no one has called, and the CEL periodically comes on as it's been doing.

As it stands, I am hoping to hear something soon. If I check with my own OBD-II while the CEL is on, it shows up as code P2400, and this is the only info I could find out about it:

"Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit/Open"
(from http://gearheadwiki.com/wiki/OBD-II_code_P2400)

Appreciate any useful advice offered!

#5 ·
Same thing happened to my 2011 X5 with about 100 miles. That light could mean many things, but most likely its something really minor. I actually read that it could be the gas cap not being put on properly. So I twisted it off and on (a little harder this time) and the light magically went away. Saved me a trip to the dealership. Give it a try.

#7 ·
The dealer cannot divine a code over the phone. You will need to drive there, they may give you a loaner or you wait...they attach a computer and read the OBD (on board diagnostic) code.

They use this code, and other BMW specific data, to decide what is wrong (if anything) and what to do.

GL

A

#8 ·
+1, and while its in there get the service manager/or a tech to give you a cockpit check off on what you should know about your new X5.:confused: The sales guys are done with you now that you have spent your money:D so its up to the service force to keep you sweet until your warranty runs out.:eeps: They know more about the car anyway. Good luck.:angel:

#9 ·
thanks!

I will have to take the car in i suppose. I also thought the BMW Assist system can send the diagnostics via satellite to their service centers so they get the OBD info. Is that not true?

Also my new Premium edition X5 came with no cargo cover, nor the first-aid kit or safety traffic triangle. Are these extras or was i supposed to have them?

Thanks

#10 · (Edited)
I think they deleted the cargo cover (useless in my view anyway) as a standard item. You can still buy one from them though!:rofl: The first aid kit and triangles are not required in the US. The german built BMWs have them included when you pick up the car on a overseas delivery, but with the cars shipped here for sale the items are removed. I don't know why, because both Audi and MB have theirs included. Again to save money I guess.:rofl: You can buy the kits from BMW suppliers I suppose.:angel:

#11 · (Edited)
thanks a lot for your replies.
My BMW dealer's responses to my questions are selective and avoiding answering these questions, even though they answer other questions, which means they read my questions. I would not mind if I get an answer stating I dont get those extras, but those questions are going silent, unanswered... making me a bit think a bit, about their honesty. Of course during the course of the purchase, I realized several things that made me a bit uncomfortable but could not walk away as they held me by making me put a deposit.

Glad that I am getting a much better response here on this forum. Thanks again UncleJ.

Now I just have to figure out what that check engine light is about and I think Iwill be all set (hopefully no new surprises catch me unawares). However, I don't love my new car any less no matter what people say negative about bmws. I suppose over the years technological advances have made all car manufacturers advance in their respective areas and being almost 2011, things should not be as bad, i suppose (and hope).

Mark

#12 · (Edited)
It has been my experience that you get little help over the phone.:mad: To really get answers you need to go in and talk eyeball to eyeball with them, service mgr., not your salesperson! Also, remember if you are not happy with your selling dealer's attitude you can go to any BMW dealer and have issues resolved or your questions answered.:confused: You have a brand new fully covered by OEM warranty X5 here! Good luck and the best communications are face to face.:angel:

#13 ·
Unless things have changed in the last month, the cargo cover should be included with the Premium. It is not included with the Base, and I forget whether or not it is included with the Sport Activity. I would bitch to your dealer about that.

As someone else mentioned, most likely (benign) culprit for the CEL is your gas cap. Always check that first. IIRC the computer does not check every input each time the car is started, so even if you have the cap on tight, it may take a day or so for the CEL to go out. However, if you've only driven 50 miles it's unlikely you've added gas, so it may be something else.

Over the years, the bean counters have deleted a lot of stuff that used to come with the car. E.g. the cute little plug-in flashlight that was a BMW tradition. My 2007 X5 came with a standard spare tire; my 2008 did not. In addition to the reflector and first aid kit, you will find very few tools included with the tool kit. But the car will surprise and delight you in many other ways.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Wasn't there a release that BMW will start including the cargo carrier in the near future for 35i models? Can't remember the start date, thought it was around the October updates.

#16 ·
My salesperson provided a cargo cover for my 2011 35i X5 at the dealer's expense, not mine. I probably paid for it though, you know. Anyway, she said BMW used to provide the cargo cover and that she thought it was a good idea, so she puts one in every X5 she sells.

No warning triangle or first aid kit was included. I guess BMWs built in SC don't get them. My 2001 740iL and 2008 535i both had warning triangles and first aid kits. The 740iL was a tourist delivery so we ended up with two of each.

Anyway, the cargo cover rattles when extended, so it is no big deal to be without.

#19 ·
Drove to about 100 miles (4 days more) Again CEL!

I went to the service station midweek and they fixed the light. When I asked what the problem was, the technician says "was a leak in your gas tank". I asked if it was a lose gas cap. He immediately says Yes, that's it, was a loose gas cap.

That sounded a bit suspicious to me that he immediately agrees with me (a non-technician who knows nothing yet about the computer in my brand new X5).

I drove the car for the next 3/4 days. Last evening which is just about 3 to 4 days, the check engine light comes on again!!

I will be talking to them tomorrow but this seems a bit strange to me that a brand new car has this problem and it re-occurs after their technicians fixed it. Or did they not catch the actual problem is what I suspect. Its getting me more and more worried now.

Of course when I sent an email asking if not having a cargo cover on my premium 2011 X5 is normal, i got no response.

#20 ·
I went to the service station midweek and they fixed the light. When I asked what the problem was, the technician says "was a leak in your gas tank". I asked if it was a lose gas cap. He immediately says Yes, that's it, was a loose gas cap.

That sounded a bit suspicious to me that he immediately agrees with me (a non-technician who knows nothing yet about the computer in my brand new X5).

I drove the car for the next 3/4 days. Last evening which is just about 3 to 4 days, the check engine light comes on again!!

I will be talking to them tomorrow but this seems a bit strange to me that a brand new car has this problem and it re-occurs after their technicians fixed it. Or did they not catch the actual problem is what I suspect. Its getting me more and more worried now.

Of course when I sent an email asking if not having a cargo cover on my premium 2011 X5 is normal, i got no response.
Mine came on on a 2011 x5 35d. It only had 700 miles (right after arrived home after PCD) CEL was on, took it to service, they read the error code, error code was not clear enough about the actual problem... Same error code could be multiple different failueres around the car. after a manual diagnosis by connecting disconnecting few plugs etc they discovered an error code corresponds to defective throttle valve, They said they have not seen one throttle valve (EGR Valve) defective for years. They ordered the part replaced it and CEL went away.
Hope that helps.

#21 ·
I suspect that BMW last decades always has had many problems with the quality. It happens ( or must happen) because BMW is in the front of new technologies, it immediately uses new things after they have been invented without testing them a lot.

In my Lexus LX470 which is the best quality car in the world I don't have MP3 playing possibility despite it appeared 5 years before the car was produced. In new Lexus LX570 USB input was employed just from 2010 models.

Just to support u psychologically.

#23 ·
1. I believe I told you you wanted the actual code. written on the work order.

When you fail to get that, you've identified yourself as a 'patsy;' to whom they can (possible) just shine you on.

(By 'service station' you mean BMW dealer, right??)

2. I am not aware of 'smoke testing' the fuel system. It is a pressure test procedure they do.

3. We actually don't \know if the CEL was a fuel cap related issue! Just the service sales guy saying 'yeah it was'

4. When you get an evap system code, indicating a leak, first thing you think of is the cap. But if that is OK, then I'd think of a loose hose/assembly error.

5. Make sure they understand the need to be precise with their commnications with you- it signals to them they have someone who is paying atttention. Do not sign a work order unless it states IN WRITING, that this is the second time in X miles. Forcing them to enter it in the record is an overt way of saying you want to exert some control.

#24 ·
They can actually fill all the evap lines with smoke under pressure. I have seen it done. They were able to find a pinhole in one of the vapor lines and not the fuel line since that is different.

#25 ·
Mine has 3500 miles on it and the CEL went on. Tried the gas cap - came back on. Turns out I needed a new Urea Solution Tank....

#26 · (Edited)
Mine got the first engine light on in early July (purchased on begining of June), and then the second time last week. Both time, at different dealer, I was told that was a software error and what they did was just updating the software.

I didn't ask for the error code, but does anyone know if my car had some mechanical problem, like the throttle of pinhole in vapor line, would it take two months to make the engine light on again?

Thanks.

Jack

#27 ·
Mine got the first engine light on in early July (purchased on begging of June), and then the second time last week. Both time, at different dealer, I was told that was a software error and what they did was just updating the software.

I didn't ask for the error code, but does anyone know if my car had some mechanical problem, like the throttle of pinhole in vapor line, would it take two months to make the engine light on again?

Thanks.

Jack
Impossible question. Get the codes or otherwise just throw yourself on the mercy of the dealer network.

Any particular motor, or just any old X5?

#28 ·
The smoke test is for the evap system as David stated. There is also a self test for the DMTL (Diagnostic module for Tank Leakage) that should have been run, depending on if the fault code was related to the evap system. If they received fault 2A15 (DMTL superfine leak) or 2A16 (DMTL major leak), then this test module should have been run. Smoke testing is only done if the DMTL test proves inconclusive, that is, if the leak is so small that the DMTL self test cannot pick it up (referred to as a micro leak). The DMTL is a pump that works on amperage. It pressurizes the evap system, and based on what amperage rise or drop the DME sees, it can determine the severity of the leak, if any.

Of course, a check engine light does not mean there is necessarily a problem with your evap system. As stated before, it could literally be hundreds of things. I'm not sure which engine you have on your X5, but if you have the N52, then there is a good chance that you have a leak in your evap system, or the DMTL pump itself is faulty.

#31 · (Edited)
response to ard: questions. Yes i went to the MBW Dealer's Service Center, 100 percent BMW Service station.
They gave me the code as FC3227. And yes they gave me this in writing on their 2 page "invoice" stating clearly that this problem is a repreat problem in under 170 miles of life of the vehicle, and they acknowkedge that they have a known issue with the DMTL system in the DME which is under investigation and a fix is coming once root cause is determined and a solution is created. They also wrote "Software update is needed but BMW has not come out with it yet". They would call me once that is available, sometime soon.

This morning, I tried to discover something myself. Only the left exhaust has hot air coming out of it, but nothing from the right exhaust. Is this normal and does the right exhaust only function when the twin part of the twin-turbo engine begins to engage? If everyone else's X5's are letting hot air from both exhausts in neutral/park position then I might have discovered something. I am probably wrong. If "hot air" doesnt mean much, touching the tail-pipe after running the X5 for a while, shows the left one hot but right one as cold as the water in my swimming pool.

#34 ·
That butterfly valve must not be working at all then.
I tested cold, warmed up and full throttle... and there is no exhaust coming out of that side.
Besides, the pipe inside is super clean ( no carbon buildup at all after driving 4000 miles ) whileas it is is pitch black inside the tip of the left side muffler.

#38 · (Edited)
Just got new 2011 X5 i35 premium for my wife, after driving 300 miles check engine light came on low emission error. Took it to dealer after day and a half they found issue with gas tank pressure pump which was replaced, now two weeks later same check engine light came on with same error. Once again BMW proven to have quality cars, I was thinking to get myself 2011 550 xi in September but will have to reconsider it. This is just inconvenient and shocking that this is happening to brand new cars don't they test them before moving them for sale? I guess that is what you get building cars in US or Canada big effing disappointment.

#40 ·
I'm just worried since it sounds like owners are getting different issues and it's not consistent with one another.
Why does this aspect "worry" you???

Would it be less worrisome if it was the same issue?

The issue is owners who know carp about cars thinking "I got a CEL, I'll post it all in single thread that has "CEL" in the title...that way we can make a useless thread stretching 3 months and 50 posts without any commonality...

Remember: GET THE CODES FROM THE DEALERSHIP. (Unless you really don't want to find out what was wrong with the car)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.