BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

91k for a 550?

8K views 63 replies 24 participants last post by  tjangi 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looks a lot like wdimagineers car.

#4 ·
If you check off every option you can easily run the 550 up to that price point. You'd be nuts to do it of course but you can. Mine was $75,000 MSRP every performance option , cold weather, M sport, premium sound and side view cameras. Mo night Vision no ventilated seats, eight no laser cruise control no heads up display, no nappy leather, no rear AC and no driver assistance package. The car is perfectly configured to my needs as I ordered it.

Frankly the best stuff I have done to my car has been from Dinan anyway-- those mods have transformed my car from a cushy luxo cruiser into a beast

#5 ·
It does look a lot like my car. Mine wasn't 91K, though - but close. 89K.

I guess the wheels, body kit, and exhaust shown in the pictures have pushed the price up to that level.

I'm actually in the city through the weekend. I'm going to go take a look.

#9 ·
Gosh, my pathetic little 535i MSRP'd for only 63.6k and I paid 59.5. I guess I will just slink over to the f30 forum where I won't feel so inadequate.:bawling:

#7 ·
Yup. They are out there. Mine was $92k, with every available option including night vision, heads up display, ventilated front (and rear) seats, rear entertainment....THE WORKS! Heck, the rear seats recline and have memory seating.... IN THE REAR!! But because it is a GT (F07), I paid more than $40k off MSRP. Yeah, I know many think the car is ugly, heck fugly with a face only a mother could love..but I like it....and that is all that matters! Hell, ugly cars need love too!!

And no need for Dinan on this one because it is a 400 hp beast right out the box.

#8 ·
My car stickered for $84k, adding mods puts it into six digits. :yikes: Luckily, I didn't pay anywhere near MSRP. :D

And no need for Dinan on this one because it is a 400 hp beast right out the box.
Trust me at 500hp, Dinan turns it into a bigger beast. A 500hp GT will catch a lot of folks by surpirse. :drive:

#10 · (Edited)
My 550xi stickered for 75.6....I could see adding options to get to a pretty darned expensive 5. I think it's the right size--unless you are hauling clients around all day or big kids, etc., I think the 5 is fine--it is a big car. If I built one I'd add a couple options. Maybe nappa, mayble the rear air-con and window shades...who knows just load up the sucker.

I'm not shy comparing my 550 against a guy I know that guy has a SWB D4 Audi A8. I had enough Audis, I understand their pros and cons, and their service issues, and quailty problems. Audi service doesn't come up to BMW. Their sales philosophy is just as poor. I think BMW is heads above the Audi, even a D4 class. I had originally kept a 750xi in the cross-hairs, but the 5 offered what I want.

I too went through several MB models including three e-class W211 and W212, a C, and a W164 2011 ML. All were problematic. MB dealers would always look at the car, but rarely, and I truly mean rarely fix the problem.

My N54 engined 3 and 5 series showed issues. BMW didn't step up early enough so I dumped them. After dealing with the major Germans, it's clear that BMW is better IMO.

#23 ·
My 550xi stickered for 75.6....I could see adding options to get to a pretty darned expensive 5. I think it's the right size--unless you are hauling clients around all day or big kids, etc., I think the 5 is fine--it is a big car. If I built one I'd add a couple options. Maybe nappa, mayble the rear air-con and window shades...who knows just load up the sucker.

I'm not shy comparing my 550 against a guy I know that guy has a SWB D4 Audi A8. I don't care, I'll point out Audi's issues all day long. I had enough Audis, I understand their pros and cons, and their service issues, and quailty problems. Audi service doesn't come up to BMW. Their sales philosophy is just as poor.

People can compare Audi vs. BMW. See what happens over time--how Audi's service compares to BMW and they'll see. I have no problem comparing the two. I think BMW is heads above the Audi, even a D4 class. I had originally kept a 750xi in the cross-hairs, but the 5 offered what I want.

I too went through several MB models including three e-class W211 and W212, a C, and a W164 2011 ML. All were problematic. MB dealers would always look at the car, but rarely, and I truly mean rarely fix the problem.

My N54 engined 3 and 5 series showed issues. BMW didn't step up early enough so I dumped them. After dealing with the major Germans, it's clear that BMW is better IMO.
I agree with your viewpoint completely. I have owned many VAG products and have experienced the same quality and service issues you mention. My last VAG product annoyed me so much I traded it for a BMW within the first 4 months of ownership. I have now learned my lesson and refuse to set foot in a VAG dealership. I have owned two MBZ cars and had problems with both of those as well. We are considering an SUV and really like the ML63 AMG, but our last experience with an MBZ ML550 has us very reluctant to get anothe MBZ product. We may just get an x5 5.0 or x5M instead......

#15 ·
My 535i MSRP's @ 74.3k but Euro delivery makes it much cheaper.

#17 ·
For comparison, I just paid $92K for a 2011 Panamera 4S that originally stickered for $118K.

#19 ·
Makes sense. A lot of dealers are giving 10-12k off on 2012 Panameras.

#24 ·
My 650i MSRP was $98,000 and I didn't check every option box, if I had it would've been close to $110,000 or more. I paid $89000 back in Nov when BMW had some very nice incentives out.

#37 ·
Looks like you're missing the accident avoidance system. I am guessing you don't have active cruise control. But with that MSRP, I can't imagine you not having it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

#53 ·
ALpine300zhp: Slightly off topic and rising from the dead: How do you like South Fla? How is better worse compared to NoVA? PM me please if you'd like. Like your ride, I cruise a 2013 535 xi to and from Herndon, VA and it does quite well. the lambo/ferrari dealership is right behind BMW of Sterling. Plenty of rides to see zooming around this area.
Thx

#54 · (Edited)
We can talk via PM, but I can give you a general answer here. As a person born and raised in the northeast I can tell you that South Florida feels strange at times. The people are different and the cultural norms are different. I vastly prefer the northeast especially the DC metro area (my favorite areas are Tysons Corner, Reston, Potomac, Georgetowne, Bethesda and Chevy Chase). There is an obvious lack of cultural activities in South Florida and coming from the DC metro area it is painfully obvious. What is great about South Florida is the weather. Nothing like seeing the beach and the ocean every single day. It is very peaceful living in South Florida compared to the often stressful atmosphere of the the DC metro area. Unless you are in Miami (if so talk to Stealth Pilot) commuting down here is easy. DC commuting is horrible and seems to have gotten worse since I moved. As for cars you are not giving up anything down here. We have every possible car dealership you can imagine. I am 10 minutes from every exotic make sold in the USA and regularly see exotic cars on my way to work. Lambo/Ferrari/Rolls/Bentley/Aston Martin and more are all on one road in West Palm Beach much like the string of dealers in Tysons and Sterling.

As I said in a previous post, I have this push pull dynamic with the DC metro area and part of me really wants to move back. However, I do not want to give up the weather as I have become spoiled rotten by this great weather and beautiful ocean views. Many people tell me I would be a perfect candidate for living in the LA metro area or San Francisco area as it seems to give a perfect blend of what is best about DC and South Florida. What I end up doing remains to be seen....

#63 ·
Well, I moved here from California where I lived in Santa Clara for 3 years and Orange county the 18 months prior...

Frankly, Texas is OK but I loved California.
  • Is it completely over priced - oh yeah.
  • Are you underpaid when compared to other states - absolutely.
  • Does it goes against most of my core political beliefs - yep

If you had an opportunity would you move back - Damn Skippy I would.

Now I am not the average person - not even close.

Having lived 8 different states, and abut 12 or so completely different cities in those states I have come to enjoy certains things more than other. I also do not have children which changes the things people consider moving.

For me weather was never a big issue until I lived in CA, now I can say its at the top of my list. Just my $.05

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.