BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z4 Stop you're scaring me!!!!

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  shipkiller 
#1 ·
Recently purchased an 03 Z4 3.0 SMG with 53K on the odometer. I am having a great deal of fun getting to know my new friend. I am becoming quite concerned however, about all of the posts I am reading about top motor failures due to clogged drain holes and shorted motors. Is there a thread where I might be able to see where the drainage holes are so that I might make sure that they do not become clogged and cause me an expensive repair like others?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I found a pdf file on how to clean the drains. If you pm me, I will send you the file. The pdf says that you have to remove the splash guards, but I found on another thread that you can complete the process without removing the splash guards. This makes the project much easier.

#7 ·
LOL, relax

Cleaning the top drains is very easy, as well as most things BMW.

I've owned BMWs for 20 years (mostly motorcycles) and I can say they have a very German attitude. You take care of them and they serve you well. The German engineer would say "Of course you must clean the drains and service the engine ON TIME !!!". Well, we American love to drive and not worry about clogged drains and strict maintenance schedules. So stuff happens.

Overall the BMW is over engineered and does well. They lean heavily towards performance, tight handling, and style (which we love). Sometimes their solutions are theoretically good, but practically not enough margin (like the drains or some engine parts that fail). I'm an engineer, so sometimes we are arrogant and fail to "over engineer" since we consider it a waste. Sometimes customers break my stuff in ways I never imagined.

I drive BMW because they handle well and fit my style. They have served me well and never let me down (and I hate to admit I have really pushed my machines hard on occasion, even crashed on a race track).

Enjoy the vehicle and the culture and have fun. Just remember once in a while to give back to the machine 'cause she needs it.

-H

#9 ·
LOL, relax

Cleaning the top drains is very easy, as well as most things BMW.

I've owned BMWs for 20 years (mostly motorcycles) and I can say they have a very German attitude. You take care of them and they serve you well. The German engineer would say "Of course you must clean the drains and service the engine ON TIME !!!". Well, we American love to drive and not worry about clogged drains and strict maintenance schedules. So stuff happens.

Overall the BMW is over engineered and does well. They lean heavily towards performance, tight handling, and style (which we love). Sometimes their solutions are theoretically good, but practically not enough margin (like the drains or some engine parts that fail). I'm an engineer, so sometimes we are arrogant and fail to "over engineer" since we consider it a waste. Sometimes customers break my stuff in ways I never imagined.

I drive BMW because they handle well and fit my style. They have served me well and never let me down (and I hate to admit I have really pushed my machines hard on occasion, even crashed on a race track).

Enjoy the vehicle and the culture and have fun. Just remember once in a while to give back to the machine 'cause she needs it.

-H
Thanks for the wisdom fastgaas. My previous vehicle was an Audi A6....culture much different than BMW....lol

#12 ·
For more maintenance info for most things you will want to do, go to my site.

www.shipkiller.com

#16 ·
If I remember correctly, the NTSB numbers were around 300 + reported incidents out of 8000 + cars... although I do not remember the actual production numbers for the non-M Z4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.