BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DCT Issues

26K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  the kidd 
#1 ·
DCT owners, let me know if this has happen to you.

When I start out from a dead stop in 1st gear, the car engages and begins to go. Then, as I begin to step on the gas, there is a jerking that occurs. It's almost as if the car is stalling. It's somewhat like driving a manual and you're letting out on the clutch slowly then dumping it.

This has happen on numerous occasion and has gotten to a point to where I have no confidence in trying to launch. I'm going to call the dealer and take it in but wanted to get some thoughts.

#2 ·
What setting (D/S) and number are you set to when this occurs? Is the M button engaged? What are the M button settings if so?

#8 ·
There's definitely a "sweet spot" that you have to get to, to get the smoothest takeoff. Also, when the engine is cold, especially if it's near freezing out, it simply does not run well for about 30 seconds. It really is a pretty radical engine for a street car.

I believe that "dip" in power you're describing might be the moment when the clutch actually locks up. Still, it shouldn't almost die even at low throttle openings. I can slightly FEEL the full engagement, but other than when it's very cold I've never thought there was any chance it would actually stall.

However, Other than being a speck sluggish off the line if you uber baby it, I haven't noticed what you describe.

If you're still not sure whether to take it in, can you post ALL your settings? Is the POWER button usually on? What DSC setting is in effect? Approximately how much throttle are you giving it? Is it only when the engine is cold?

#11 ·
Thanks for the response. My setting is usually as follow: D4 or S4 and power is on. When I want spirited driving, M button setting is S5 and power is on. DTC is always on as I'm am no pro and definitely don't want the risk of spinning out.

On cold starts, I baby it until engine is warm.

#9 ·
It's called "Driver Induced Oscillations"...you are giving it gas, then taking your foot off the gas, then on again...and again. The car rocking back and forth helps make it worse. It was very common with the E46 M3's with SMG. When it happens, take your foot COMPLETELY off the gas or immediately shift...the motion will go away. I'm guessing you have Sport or sport+ mode engaged with the power button.

https://www.google.com/search?q=driver+induced+occillation+SMG&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=fD7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&nfpr=1&sa=X&ei=Eu-QT6flI-SIiAKk74W1Aw&ved=0CBgQBSgA&q=driver+induced+oscillation+SMG&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=658b538c23bb4e18

#10 ·
I have this with my DCT and I've been told it's the clutch engaging and it totally normal. Most people don't even notice but I happen to be "hyper sensitive" and noticed it right away. I asked around the forums a few months ago when I got my car and most everyone said they didn't feel it. I since drove other DCT equipped cars and felt the exact same thing. I would say it's normal, if we're talking about the same thing.

#12 ·
It sounds like it's the same thing. However, from what I have heard from others on this forum and on Bimmerpost, it's not normal. With my old 335i xDrive, this was not an issue at all. If I wanted to floor it, I didn't have to think whether the car would engaged or not. I know they're completely different cars and transmission. I'm setting up an appointment later this week to get it checked out and will report back to all.

Thanks,

#15 ·
Had not heard of any recent DCT service issues or bulletins. Do you have any other info on this "recall"?

#17 ·
Took the car in and received a call today indicating my transmission fluid was low due to a bad gasket and that may have caused my issue. Unfortunately, they have to order the part from Germany and that will take a week. I haven't notice any fluids in the garage where the car is kept. Will post an update once car is back.

#20 ·
I'm somewhat concerned as the car is always park in the garage and have not noticed any fluid leakage since I got the it. Hopefully, this was the issue and by replacing it resolves the issue. I will know soon. Hope to get the car early next week and will provide a report.

Thanks,

#21 · (Edited)
Try driving the car with the Power button OFF...the clutch will engage much slower and I'll bet it'll take off smoother. I hate the Power button as the throttle is no longer linear. 50% throttle position should give you 50% throttle. With the power button on (even worse on sport mode), 50% throttle position gives about 80% throttle. The car jumps and stutters at the slightest throttle position of the line. Try the power button off and see if your problem diminishes.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/6092827-Having-trouble-starting-out-in-1st-with-smg.-When.?highlight=driver+induced+oscillations

#22 ·
Nothing to report. Part was supposed to be here but apparently it still being made and won't get here til next week. It's been two weeks and I am missing the car. My SA has been good but I'm getting frustrated on why it's taking so long.

#23 · (Edited)
Not just DIO

While it's hard to hold a constant throttle with the thing jerking along, I'm pretty sure this is not purely driver-induced; having the driver's foot in the loop just enhances the dynamic.

For me it happens on any cold start less than 15C, only the first 2 or 3 shifts. This with no power and the default S3 setting. Does not happen if I dial in S1. I assume that the hydraulics are too cold to keep up with the computer: so it goes away when the actuator warms up a few degrees; or if you slow down the computer with the S1 setting.

Not fatal but annoying when the default comes up as S3, so you have to dial down and then restore after driving a few hundred yards.

Has anyone actually complained to the dealer? What is the company line on this?

#24 ·
This was a bigger issue with SMG - my 03 was horrible some mornings. Thankfully, this has only happened once on my '11 M3 with DCT - usually when it's colder outside. I tried using the SMG trick and it works well. Just back off on the accelerator just a bit for a split second, and it stopped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.