BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2011 X5: Windshield repair or replacement in NYC

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  smyles 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Was wondering if you guys can please recommend the best method for repair or replacement(if needed) for an X5 2011. Automatic rain detection is included. Uncertain if it's UV glass.

Have filed a claim with insurance. They will cover the bill but not if the dealer does the repair. It was suggested I try to find out if the repair will be outsourced and then call that shop. If someone knows of a shop that they used and were happy with their service... can install OE(is OEM good enough?) glass and install new seals, that would be very appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

p.s.

I'm tempted to buff out the scratches myself but would rather not. Long story. A call to safelite and they suggested replacement.

#3 ·
Safelite is the lowest cost, lowest quality product when it comes to glass. Everyone uses them. They have driven the cost down to nothing, which is WHY all the isnurers love them.

You will have someone hack out the old glass then glue in a new glass and stick the trim around it...all held in place with their proprietray goop.

They will NOT follow manufacturers recommended methods and CANNOT tell you the installed window will still result in a CAR that meets mfg specs. Yes, their GLUE is approved...but their methods are not. I had an insurer that was insisting I used them, and when safelite refused to state the installed window would retain the mfg's ratings, the insurnace allowed me to choose the shop

Also, recognize that OEM is not OE glass. And it is not, necessarily, 'just the logo'.

YMMV

A

PS If the scratch is NOT very noticeable, I'd just wait until winter is over- OR you get nailed with a rock

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you.

Yes to the rain sensor no to the HUD. The little parallel scratches are in the field of view. Just a reminder of the mess of the past few weeks. Maybe I'll learn to love them ;)

I'll push for OE glass if replacement is required. I'll have the dealer look at it? and see if they can buff it out and then direct me to a shop.

#6 ·
You should be able to pick the shop of your choice, that being said, many BMW dealers in NY outsource their glass replacement to a non-bmw shop, make sure you ask. if you get stuck with Safelite, you can demand OEM glass instead of the safelite equivalent, it will just cost more.

#8 ·
Interesting.

Are you saying OE is the same as ALL OEMs (st. gobain, etc)??

or are you saying it is actually worse?

And if you are saying 'the same' is it 'always the same', hence as a policy you can just buy OEM and always get the perfect fit?

I have heard that OE tolerances are tighter ... this may simply be rumor and anecdotes, as there really is no good data on this... but let us know what you know.

A

#9 ·
Look at your original glass. Most likely you'll see distortion along the bottom edge, as well as vertical distortion if you look from a side. It's because original glass is no better, and often actually worse than aftermarket options. No idea why, but I'd imagine cost is involved, just like with the wheels, for example...

#10 ·
Wait, are you one that has decided that OE wheels are always expensive because they have the "Stealer Tax" built in, and the cheap aftermarket clones are the same quality but simply cheaper?:rofl:

My OE glasses- 3 BMWs, a Porsche and an Acura seem pretty optically OK....

http://www.windshield-repair-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4172

Another interesting one...albeit with their own agenda. Interesting discussion of stress and QC with a polariscope:

http://www.ultrabond.com/whywindshields.pdf

^Quite interesting to read about the cost control/politics and Lynx Services place in the whole thing...

#12 ·
The key with dealing with the insurance company/glass adjuster is don't let them tie you up in semantics. The terms OE and OEM are very confusing, and mean different things to different people. When I had my windshield replaced, I was ready to order the windshield myself from Tischer, and get reimbursed. They ended up approving factory glass (the same glass new x5's are married with in SC), so I did not need to pursue this option any further.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.