BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Heads Up Display

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  gfunk6266 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to place a order for X3 and wanted to know if anyone has this option on their X3 and if the like it. Also is it color or just red?

Thanks!

#2 ·
If somebody already has it, then they'd probably recommend it!
But it is essentially a nice-to-have thing IMHO. and hence the discussion of that extra couple of $Ks... is it worth it?
But if you have the luxury, then by all means. But do you really need it???

#5 ·
I have it (first time I've had heads up display) and love it. It took some getting used to using it for checking speed though. A twenty six year habit of looking at the instrument cluster for speed is hard to break. The display is multi color depending on what is being projected. Speed is red/orange, nav is largely white, cruise is green...

can't comment re: polarized lenses.

#6 ·
I have it my 2007 650 and I love it. It wasn't available for my older model X3, but I will definitely order it next time around (although I'm leaning toward an X1, so I hope BMW offers it on that model.)

As was noted, the HUD is very difficult to see when you wear polarized sunglasses (or at least it is with the HUD version I have.) That said, I still find myself using it all the time. I rarely look at my speedo directly anymore, and the NAV is so much easier to follow with HUD. Go for it.

#7 ·
As was noted, the HUD is very difficult to see when you wear polarized sunglasses (or at least it is with the HUD version I have.) That said, I still find myself using it all the time. I rarely look at my speedo directly anymore, and the NAV is so much easier to follow with HUD. Go for it.
Test drove a MY '11 prior to ordering a 2012 to replace wife's current '06 X3 and was surprised, when we traded seats, that the HUD disappeared entirely with my polarized sunglasses. Lifted them up and it reappeared with perfect clarity. Wife's sunglasses were not polarized and were not an issue. Hence, HUD was part of the ordered "package".

It's funny that after this kind of issue came to light with the standard radio displays in the E9x 3 series that more attention wasn't paid to this. Are Euro polarized lenses somehow different than those in the US?

#8 ·
Lurrve it

I am a gadget freak, so I had to order this.

I must say though, having the speed at an easily projected point in just below line of sight is really handy, meaning I don't have to re-focus on dashboard.

I keep seeing new stuff on it too, which surprises me. For example I forgot to press the auto unlock switch to go into reverse the other day, and this icon appeared on the HUD to tell me off. Also, if you have the prof. sat nav and use it a lot, that gets projected too. That is *really* handy.

One thing that I miss on this though (I wish it could be hacked), is to have the current gear in use displayed. When I'm using the manual gear selection, I keep having to look down to see which gear I am in.

If you have the cash, I would buy it.

J

#9 ·
One more thing

Just to mention, if you live in a sunny country (hell, I'm in UK so count that out), and the sunlight hits the dash, you can get a slight tunelling effect displayed on the windscreen. The projector for the HUD sits on the dash, so you can sometimes see the recess projected faintly onto the windscreen also.

Minor point but worth a mention.

J

p.s it's better to regret having it, than regretting not having it ;-)

#10 ·
I'm also a gadget freak. I have it on my '11 550 xi. It's nice, entertaining, but not critical. But, unfortunately, my wife occasionally drives my car...she likes HUD. She thinks it keeps her close to the speed limit. Perhaps! Now I'm about to order her an X3. Without HUD? Either I'm either a wuss or smart enough to spend $1,300 for domestic harmony. The jury is still out on this one.

#13 · (Edited)
I totally concur with UncleJ. My wife and I splurged for the HUD and we are really happy with it. My wife in particular loves the fact that the navigation is clearly projected on the screen so you never have to turn you eyes away from the road.

Also, as posters above have stated, we found that our polarizing sunglasses made the HUD invisible. One of our friends recommended Serengeti (non-polarizing) Driver's Gradient sunglasses and they have been great. They actually enhance the HUD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.