BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

318i wont start

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Slider 
#1 ·
All,

84 318i wont start a lunch time. Starts fine in morning, but needs a jump start at lunch. Has a new battery, have checked alternator. All is good. I have also checked for a short and everything seems fine. What am I missing at this point. He told me today that he opened the door so he could see the interior light when he tried to start the car. It did not fade or even blink when he went to start. He can hear the fuel pumps working, but thats all. The starter is not even clicking. :dunno: thoughts?

thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Checked the connections to the starter? Checked the voltage across the battery with the car off (should be no less than 12V) and with the car running (should be ~14V)? Have you tried giving the starter a little bink with a stick when it won't turn?

#3 ·
You mentioned the :D electrical connections to the starter. Thats where I went today. I found that the spade type connector from the ignition was very loose. It was piggy-backed on another connector that was running the driving lights. I think that when the car got hot and sat for a while that the connector expanded slightly making the connection even worse....at least thats what Im hoping for. I tightened the connection. Time will tell on this one. thanks for the suggestion. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.