BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Facebook "like" button - NOT

2K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  BMR_LVR 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed that their browsing experience slowed dramatically once the mods added the FB "like" button ??

It slowed it down terribly for me :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

And I don't even have/use FB :irate::irate::irate::irate:

#2 ·
Had not noticed the slow down. What's Facebook? Oh yeah, I remember it's where no hopers get gatecrashers to their parties and tell the world what they had for breakfast - like someone cares!! ROFL a lot!!

#4 ·
You won't see it if you are using your phone. I'll try to get a screen shot later and post it if I can. Heck, I may even take a vid of it and post it to give real-time info on how long it takes. I just don't have a video of the speed before the FB like button was added.

#8 ·
If you don't mind, let me know if your home computer has the same issue. If it does, then it's something the mods added. If not, then I've probably got some FB virus crap or something. I detest FB :thumbdwn: (just my humble opinion :angel:)

TIA

#12 ·
Hey steve. I looked on my laptop (hipster-spec MacBook) and i saw the button you're referring to. Sorry to say that my computer has not slowed at all :/

Good to be back on my droid tab ;)

Sent from Joe's Galaxy Tab 2 via BimmerApp

#15 ·
Interesting ...... I'm at a doctor's office and utilizing their wireless and the FB like button is not there and my browsing experience is very quick again. Hmmm ..... I will see how it will do when I get back home and use my wireless router.

#16 ·
I started having a problem with it when employers were demanding access to peoples accounts. I have no desire to subject myself to scrutiny like that, ever, for any reason, by anybody... so, I deleted my account a long time ago.

Lots of my friends and family use it though:dunno:

#22 ·
see if you can find some parental control software to download. I'm sure theres tons of free ones out there for the taking. It's a simple program. Or google how to block sites on your specific browser.

#23 ·
Thanks. I'll look into it. However, I don't understand why it just popped up unless the mods added it. I'd like to petition them to remove it, but I'm probably in the minority on this one so I don't plan to bother them. They have bigger things to be looking at :tsk:

#24 ·
I wouldn't even bother trying. And i dont think it was the mods as they are not the ones who write the forum software or programming. It is probably "performanceIX, Inc" and they just wont care that you dont have a facebook lol

#26 ·
Thanks for the insight. I certainly didn't do it on purpose. I don't use Facebook. Never have. Never will. I don't even have a Face book account.

Is there a way I can get rid of the addon?

TIA

#28 · (Edited)
I'm still on IE8. Work computer, so I don't know that I have a lot of a choice. I guess I could upgrade to IE9, but I hate change. I think I figured out that it is a FB plug in, and I've googled how to remove it, but no joy ... yet.

The only way that I can get it to go away is to set my security setting to high on the security tab in the options. But, if I do that, I can no longer use the emoticons and some web sites don't load properly. I think that it blocks Java script.

Anyway, I know very little about the computer. I may take it to Staples and let the computer nerd (said with great respect) see if he can get rid of it.

#30 ·
I'm open to suggestions. I never saw the FB like button until I posted this question. I can't think of anything I did differently. That's why I thought that the mods just added it. I was apparently wrong on that though.

#31 ·
I just logged in to the Fest on my wife's laptop (I had never been on the Fest on her computer) and the same issue was there. This leads me to believe that it was something that just started and was done/allowed by the mods.

Oh well. I guess I'l just have to bear with slower browsing :(

#32 ·
It is possibly the fact that the moderators have added/are adding a bunch of new sub forums including one for the coming 2 series and 4 series cars due later this year (AFAIK)

Prehaps its this and the Facebook thing is a "scapegoat" for want of a better word?

Back on my iMac again from a weeks holiday, certainly cant notcie any slowdown yet, but this is the first thread i've clicked on after catching up on my PM's

#33 ·
Wanted to revive this old thread for a specific reason. Over the pas 4-5days, I was having even more problems veiwing the Fest. I could click on a thread to open it, but when I clicked on the button to go to the last read post, it would lock up for 4-5 seconds and then I would get the message that the script for the page was running slowly and it asked if I wanted to stop running the script.

I would have to click yes in order to proceed. Again, this was really slowing my browsing experience. I had done some research on it and had taken the measures that I could, but to no avail. Also, it was happening primarily only on the Fest's website.

I could go to my security settings and adjust them to the highest level and would not have the problem, but I could not use the emoticons in responses nor could I open youtube videos.

Last night I noticed that the problem had seemingly gone away. Now my browing experience has returned to completely normal and is very fast :D The one thing that I noticed is that the Facebook "Like" button is gone. I have always thought that that was the origin of the problem, for me at least.

Anyway, I hope it stays gone. Heck, I don't even have a Facebook page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.