BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Could've Been My Life, Rather Than My Baby

4K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  aestheticstorm 
#1 · (Edited)
10-8-10 about 11:30

I was driving home from work had just stopped for gas at shell. After reading how they claimed to be the Car and Driver's choice for performance gasoline I reached full. I snugged my cap, climbed in my pristine BMW and drove the dark backroad home.

I turned onto the road before mine rapidly accelerated shifting well below redline, but high enough to get me somewhere, then came one more final road before my neighborhood. I pulled rapidly down into second and popped my clutch with some aggressive gas and let out my back end.

The back end slid gracefully as planned, I began correcting the upset as I have done before. while correcting I heard the whine of my supercharger gloriously screaming to a sexy engine note. As the horsepower and PSI rose so did my fear. As too much power was given and I began accelerating off road.

My auto reaction took effect. I locked my wheels to correct the upset, slammed on my brakes to keep from going into the dark field, and clutched into neutral all within less than a second. My cat-like reaction was not enough. My mint condition paint was accelerating directly towards the barbed wire fence. I stopped with the sound of metal spikes grinding into the pristine silver hood of my car. My car was still running when I stopped, I instantly put it in reverse and spun furiously. I turned the key to put the monster to rest. I was shaken but no harm took place, seatbelt was worn. I was worried at this moment someone saw and would dial 911 as all I needed was a rope and another car to fix the problem at hand, rather than a policeman, a ticket, insurance inflation, and sheer embarrassment. So I attempted to "hide" and shut my lights off on the dark backroad as I contacted family for a tow. At that moment four headlights appeared on the horizon, on a road that is always empty. They kindly stopped and offered help. I said I have help coming there is probably nothing you can do. Then the second man got out of his white SUV and said it's little we can push it out. While walking around to push, the second man exclaimed "D**n man, thats a BMW. So I fired up shifted to reverse, spun furiously as my two new best friends pushed with all their might to help me out. Rubber met the road after about 5-7 seconds and I backed out and thanked the backroad travelers. I accelerated furiously to let out my rage and turned into my neighborhood less than a quarter mile away.

Bottom line, that little accident could've been my life. If I had accelerated any faster the barbwire could've beheaded me rather than scratch my baby's front end. Driving the Ultimate Driving Machine can be fun, but it must be done on a track of some sort, rather than an empty back road, or any road. Those roads are meant for travel, not fun. I hope I have swayed someone and saved a life. As my mishap can work to your advantage.

-Seth

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I made a insurance claim this morning. They'll get back to me on tuesday, praying for the best.

#8 ·
Hey Man..glad to hear that you are O.K. We all had the moment of wanting to let the legs out of our beloved Beamer..But all in all you came out O.K. that is the good news..

BTW..when you added the SC in your Beamer..doesn't that consider modifying your original engine and the insurance will automatic goes up a notch or two??? In some case they refuse insurance for that reason? Just curious..

#11 ·
Thanks man I appreciate it.

And they didn't ask about it so I didn't tell, they just came out looked at the outside chatted for a second and said you're good to go. I think its more like an accessory if something were to ever happen to it. Actually would come out cheaper because its insured as the 4cyl instead of the 6cyl. ha

#12 ·
Appreciate the info buddy!

Im debating weather to let insurance paint my hood and repair the front end or scrounge up some pennies for awhile to pay to paint the rest of the car.

And good eye on the headlights, might be a good time to switch for some angel eyes.

#15 ·
You know I just about had my wife talked into a M and you had to go run off the road! :mad: Now she wants to buy a volkswagen! :cry:

Just kidding...:rofl:

Those scratches sure look pretty rough! Looks like cat scratch fever gotcha. :thumbup:

It won't be the first time a guy and his car got into trouble. I won't share what I did to a Camaro, Firebird, Thunderbird and TR6 in my life time. :D There are somethings you just keep too yourself. :thumbup:

Best of luck getting the scratches taken care of. :thumbup:

#18 · (Edited)
You know I just about had my wife talked into a M and you had to go run off the road! Now she wants to buy a volkswagen!

Just kidding...

Those scratches sure look pretty rough! Looks like cat scratch fever gotcha.

It won't be the first time a guy and his car got into trouble. I won't share what I did to a Camaro, Firebird, Thunderbird and TR6 in my life time. There are somethings you just keep too yourself.

Best of luck getting the scratches taken care of.
Haha thanks man! and very true

glad you're OK!! FWIW my Z3 brakes saved us from a pileup on I-80 here one weekend.
These are awesome roadsters!!
Sorry about the paint job tho...
Shoot I'm with you there can't tell you how many times my superhero brakes have got me outta trouble, and thanks!!

I think that is the most unique damage I've ever seen on a car! Glad you're not hurt, and that the damage is only cosmetic.
I thought the same thing, if you kinda squint and lean sideways it looks like a bad tribal decal haha. And thanks buddy!

#19 ·
Met with my adjuster, he said it'd be way more than my deductible to get her fixed. After I meet the deductible I can get the hood and bumper painted, which the bumper was getting due anyway, and they said they'll sand partly into the door panel and slowly merge the colors to match so the paint on the hood won't appear to be newer than on the res of the car.

#20 ·
So what is the price difference between doing that and having the whole car repainted and you footing the rest? I know bimmer bucks are kind of on the thin side for everyone but if it were "me", I would save up and do the whole car. :thumbup:

(Free 2 cents) :thumbup:

Best regards

#22 ·
So what is the price difference between doing that and having the whole car repainted and you footing the rest? I know bimmer bucks are kind of on the thin side for everyone but if it were "me", I would save up and do the whole car. :thumbup:

(Free 2 cents) :thumbup:

Best regards
Not sure yet I'm guessing a good 250-300 bucks a panel. :dunno:
I would need to sink in for the doors the trunk and rear bumper so I would expect at least 1k probably more. I really wana do the whole thing though :cry: Trying to be really picky on where I choose too. Anybody know of a decent auto paint place around northwest Georgia, or around Atlanta?

#26 ·
I would have thought that would be a total on the car, being it is a BMW! Just kidding!

Glad your ok - sorry about your baby! It happens once in a while when you push things on country roads - part of the excitement of owning the Ultimate Driving Machine!

#28 ·
Alright update, Baby Z sleeps behind a Aston Martin and between a Lambo, Masseratti and R8 :bigpimp:. I dropped her off at Magnum body shop, where for the first time I actually felt comfortable handing over the keys. The guys there were very professional, and were very nice. Looking forward to the results, expecting her to look better than before the "incident". cross your fingers for me boys. :D

#29 · (Edited)
I just got her back yesterday, when it pulled out of the garage my jaw hit the floor. It looked better than before the incident :D I got right over where they stopped painting and could honestly tell no difference. Somehow they matched my 13 year old paint. :yikes: Magnum auto did an awesome job!! :thumbup: All in all they painted my hood, replaced my bumper, and both kidney grills, and buffed my headlights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.