BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3M Speaker Replacements Questions (2 x 4"'s)

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike Clark 
#1 ·
I would like to keep my 98 M Roadster as stock as possible.

The HK rear center "subs" blew out. They are the 2 x 4" type, not the single.

What are the specifications that I need to look for so everything else can remain stock, amp included, and I can just replace the speakers?

Can someone post a link to a comparable set?

#2 ·
#3 ·
I did search, and thank you for the links, but I'm not looking to do anything close to what you posted.

I just want similar speakers that are almost like stock because I want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

Are there any modern day speakers that can take the place. I don't want anything else but similar speakers to stock.

#4 ·
I had to replace mine awhile back..even though it is a single mid range sub..but I just went to Wally world..and bought one off the shelf, and it has been working fine since..I am sure they have your size as well.. Also may want to check with bestbuy?? They have that as well..I believed..Just make sure that the one you are getting has the same amount of depth or close to it..then you be fine..

May not have the sound quality like some of the members here have but with the tops down or up it sounds fine to me...

#6 ·
Zabak,

Have you considerd getting the original speakers re-coned? The sub in my 2001 Z3 was cracked when I bought it. No aftermarket speaker was available in right size and resistance, so I took it out and had a local shop do a recone job for ~$20. Re-installed it and it works great. If you can't find a shop in your area, reply and I'll get details on the shop here.

#7 ·
I had mine rebuilt, but a few months later, it was blown out again. I replaced the whole setup with the BMW Carver Sure Fire replacement sub and amp obtained from Circle BMW. Expensive, but it solved the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.