BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2005 X5 Reliability

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ard 
#1 · (Edited)
My little sis is looking at a 2005 X5 V8, 35K miles. I know the original owner and he has babied this car since he bought it new, detailed once a month, all dealer serviced etc.

She can't really afford to spend a lot on maint. etc. so I am keen on getting a good read on the reliablity of this model year.

Anyone care to weigh in.

#2 ·
My little sis is looking at a 2005 X5 V8, 35K miles. I know the original owner and he has babied this car since he bought it new, detailed once a month, all dealer serviced etc.

She can't really afford to spend a lot on maint. etc. so I am keen on getting a good read on the reliablity of this model year.

Anyone care to weigh in.
If she can't afford to spend a lot on maintenance then I would recommend she skip the X5. While it's a great vehicle and is fairly reliable it can have high maintenance costs.

#4 ·
only worth it if it comes with extended warranty or it is selling for cheap, it not, pass.

#8 · (Edited)
Be careful. "trade in value" on KBB is rarely what people get for trade in...edmunds and KBB are not reliable in the least. She should pay what a real dealer will offer him in trade.

I'm not sure if she can still pick up the BMW powertrain warranty (or another high quality warranty), but she could take the $$$ she saves and 'self insure'... it will take alot of window regulators and misc other failures to eat up $10k.

Maintenance is maintenance- a Kia is (almost) the sames as a BMW if you find a good indy...

But going 'naked' she is one jerky shift away form a new $8000 tranny if she is unlucky.

A

PS I shudder to think what my autos would cost me if I didn't wrench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.