BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DICE HD kit w/ iPod integration problems

8K views 106 replies 7 participants last post by  ycrazyy 
#1 ·
Well, I tried installing my wife's new kit that came today, and am having problems. I installed it in the CD changer/NAV DVD compartment in the back left corner of her 2007 X3. I put the dip switches down on the right set, like the manual says. Plugged in both of the connectors to the included cable, and then plugged it into the HD DICE. I mounted the antenna, and ran that cable, and hooked it up. I hooked up the iPod adapter cable to both my wife's iPod nano (latest software revision) and to the unit. I turn on the car, and when I select CD1, I get two stars on the screen. I've tried Disc5 and 6 for HDFM and HDAM, and it comes up with Sel: and nothing ever comes up after that. I tried switching the dip switches back to default, thinking maybe they needed to be in the default for the 2007 X3, but that produced a black screen. I was afraid to see if the black screen would go away, in fear it might be doing something bad.

Her car is a 2007 X3 with factory Nav, non-premium stereo (no DSP). I looked under the storage tray in the center console, and it seemed like all the cables there were hooked up, and kind of looked different than the pics I've seen on here of other's X3 installs. Oh, also, there is a kind of humming and popping noise when I am in any CD1, 2, 3 etc.

#2 ·
Update: It seems it is communicating somewhat, at least. I can get it to display HD-DICE0001 or something like that on the screen. Also, my iPod pauses when I turn off the car and starts playing when I turn it on, so something is happening. I just never hear anything other than that weird crackling noise. Almost sounds like tape hiss like you'd get from an old audio cassette when it reaches the end. I double checked all connections, and all seems fine. The odd thing is, with both of SW1 dip switches up (default) and SW2 dip switches both up and both down, it behaves the same it would seem. I have tried restarting the iPod nano, and also tried restarting my 3g iPod (both have latest software revision), neither produce different results.

Ideas? Tom, you guys sure nothing has changed on the 2007 X3? did you all test one?

#4 ·
Well mine isn't arriving until this Sat, and unfortunately I am leaving town the next day for a week so won't be able to test it out. Hopefully you guys will be good beta testers and work out the kinks so I can install it when I get back. Good luck on getting this thing to work. I definitely feel for you, since we've all been waiting so long to get this!

#5 ·
It's only 6:49 west coast, so I'll wait for Tom to do his morning rounds I guess before emailing them. I can't do anything hands on now anyhow, my wife has it at work.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that in addittion to that "HD-DICE0001" on the screen, I had seen *DICE* in the top left corner a few times.

I'm hoping this is just something simple like the dip switches, and nothing is wrong with my unit :(

#6 ·
Since this is such a new product, the forums won't be much help until the kits start arriving - contact me via email for the fastest reply.

I'm unclear what the original issue is, the NAV screen is completely blank or are you not hearing sound? I'll answser your email so we're not bouncing back and forth on replies via forums/email.

#7 ·
Just checking in, any luck getting this issue resolved? I don't have the Nav, but hoping that it is not something with the MY2007 in general. Please give us an update when you have one. Hope the wife enjoys her present!

#8 ·
I have had a 100-102 degree fever since Monday night, so even going downstairs wears me out. Really frustrating considering I want to get it working for her. Tom gave me an idea about checking the connectors on the back of the head unit, but I have not had a chance to do it (read: energy). That and the fact that I don't exactly know how to pull the HU. Hopefully I'm feeling better tomorrow so I can mess with it tomorrow night.

#10 ·
Rob- Sorry that you are not feeling better, I hope it gets better soon! My kit is "on the truck for delivery" in my area, should arrive this afternoon here at work, and I will do the install tonight, so hopefully I will be able to get it working. I do not have the NAV, so I can report the difference there.

Brendan

#11 ·
Thanks, finally went to the doctor today, pretty much got what I expected "Sounds like it's running it's course". Are you all installing it for glovebox access? I didn't want that antenna on the windshield. From what I gather there are two cables on the back of the head unit, one connected, one not, and I need to switch to the one that is not connected (that one is going to the cable that I plugged into by the Nav's DVD player on the rear area). Hopefully I have this right, I really am anxious to get this working for her.

Keep me posted, sounds like you'll have yours working before I get hers working.

#13 ·
I put it on the back left window, the little tiny one. It's probably not reccomended, but I went across the bottom with the element, then straight up the side. I also noticed that the sirius antenna connector, that is in that little velcro sleeve, looks to be the same type of connector is the port on the DICE HD unit. If one was so inclined to break that connector, it would probably plug into the DICE and use the antenna in the shark fin. My wife's is a lease, and I have no intention of adding the sirius, so I am half tempted to just bust that connector open and try it ;) I'll see how my antenna routing works first though, once I actually get any functionality going :)

#15 ·
Rob, let us know your success in using the shark fin antenna. Mine is a lease as well, but besides that I would much rather not have an antenna anywhere in the car. I originally thought it did use the sharkfin antenna because on the website that is what it says (doesn't mention a secondary HD antenna).

#16 ·
Rob, Are you using the IPOD part of it? From the looks of it, putting the HD Dice module in the back will amke it difficult to put the ipod up front, or are you just going to keep the ipod in back? Or maybe I am confused.

I don't plan to use the satellite either, maybe I will do the same thing with the antenna, although I would think that they would be optimized for the different frequencies...

#18 ·
Rob, Are you using the IPOD part of it? From the looks of it, putting the HD Dice module in the back will amke it difficult to put the ipod up front, or are you just going to keep the ipod in back? Or maybe I am confused.

I don't plan to use the satellite either, maybe I will do the same thing with the antenna, although I would think that they would be optimized for the different frequencies...
I have an older iPod that doesn't hardly hold a charge, so we are just going to leave it back there full time and use it as a jukebox. If it gets too hot and dies in the future (doubt it), I'll just re-route and put it somewhere else.

#19 ·
There is an apparent error in the 2007 X3. Behind the radio there are 2 white 12 pojn connectors, one that is connected to the radio, and the other that is in a little tie wrap and labeled CD-SARS. This must be swapped in order to get sound. I was having the same issue as Rob, and I swapped the cable, drained power from the system, and I can now get music from the iPod and switch songs through the wheel, and playlists through the stereo. HD radio is not yet connected (I have to work on the antenna), but I will report on that when I get a chance.-brh

#22 ·
Great news! I went to bed with 102.5 fever, and wake up literally 95% better, it's weird. Perfect timing on getting this resolved guys :)

So can you spell out the steps exactly? Pull stock head unit, pull off 12 pin connector, plug in one in velcro sleeve, disconnect power from radio? or battery altogether?

Also, any tips on pulling the head unit? I figured BMW uses some funky tools and stuff like back in the day, is it easier these days?

#23 ·
Good to hear that you are feeling better!

I was a little nervous pulling apart a brand new car, but it wasn't bad. I should have taken pics, but this was 10:30 last night and I was just wanting to get it working.

Disconnect your negative terminal of the battery.
Pull the top airvent out. This comes out with just a slight pry on the top of the vent, and it will come a little ways out.
You will see a couple of screws that you need to take out for the radio. take these out an then remove the radio. It was pretty intuitive.
Pull the radio out, and then you will see a connector labeled CD_SARS that is taped to the cable bundle, but not connected. Find the same white connector on the radio (I will attempt to attach a jpg) and remove the one in the radio, and connect the CD-SARS one in the same place.

Replace all, reconnect the negative terminal of the battery, and you should be up and running. I have yet to figure the ipod interface (plays songs, but I don't know how to access the playlists, etc), and I got the HD radio to work this morning, but I don't have the antenna mounted yet, just attached to the DICE unit.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

#24 ·
Thanks man, that helps. After disconnecting the battery, do you lose anything? have to enter any codes? etc? Looking forward to getting her up and running!

#26 ·
brh, where did you end up mounting your unit? Did you put it under the passenger seat as advised by Tom? I am just curious because like you, mine is leased and I don't want to be drilling any holes or damaging the car if I don't have to. Mine is set to arrive tomorrow (damn FedEx and their incredibly slow cross country voyage) and want to be prepared to hopefully get it in this weekend... oh and thanks for being a good guinea pig for the rest of us! :)

#27 ·
I have not mounted the unit yet, and I am not sure where I will put it. It DOES fit in the center console, that is where i have it right now, just sitting there. I have to figure the routing for the antenna and the cable to the back fo the car before I figure the best place.

Actually, mine is bought, not leased. So I may have a bit more freedom.

Tom deserves a lot of credit for being online at 10PM last night to help me out.

#29 · (Edited)
Are you not having any problems brh? No locking up? I'm tearing my hair out here. Worked fine for 15mins, now it's flaky as can be, no amount of battery discos or unit discos, ipod resets, etc, can get it back to halfway functional. It's functioning, but just not properly.

Is there some way to reset the unit? I think it's corrupted, and disconnecting power isn't fixing it. Also, even when it was working, it kind of flickered to the nav display every once and a while, and text display seemed kind of shaky. I'm wondering if this is a NAV specific problem. Argh, I want this thing working! So frustrating, I thought it'd be a cool birthday gift for my wife.

#30 ·
Did you hook the cable into the HD DICE after reconnecting the battery? Trying to make sure I have the exact sequence that works. Still dead in the water here.

#31 ·
Well FedEx is showing mine as delivered at my apt, so hopefully in a couple of hours I can go grab it. I don't know if I will be able to touch it until Monday, but I am hoping all goes smoothly. brh if you have any tips, please share them! :)

#32 ·
Well, I unplugged the battery, left it unplugged for about 15 minutes, then plugged it back in, with the HD DICE connected. It seemed to do the trick. The unit was performing nicely, and eventually it starts not responding to track requests, and the text updates very slow or not at all when switching discs. It also seemed like I have to hit everything twice, unless it already says TR1, 2, etc. If it has gone back to the ID text, I have to hit it twice. Is it this way on the non NAV equipped X3s? I still have not heard an answer to my many requests about the dip switches, they should be SW1 up up and SW2 down down, correct? even if I have NAV?

Do these units freak out if you have too many track requests close together or something? It's almost like it gets worse and worse. It was still functioning before it totally became unresponsive, just had to hit track 2-5 times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.