2010 x5 35d DEF fluid incorrect - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 x5
2010 x5 35d DEF fluid incorrect

I have a 2010 x5 35d. Have only had it about a month. The engine light came on saying Bank 1 NOx sensor.
I haven't fixed this yet when DEF fluid refill notification came on with mileage warning. I went to a Mr Lube and they refilled for me. Message went off. A few days later a message came up saying Incorrect fluid used and now I only have 200 km I can drive until apparently the engine won't start...Help and suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
"help and suggestions"???

1. When your car throws a code or warning light, repair it. Dont just drive it into the ground. Doing so leads to the situation you are now in.

2. The diesel computer (ie 'DDE') uses readings from the NOX sensor and other sensors to determine how much DEF to inject. Once the DDE is injecting all the DEF it is allowed to inject, but the exhaust gases do not respond, the DDE decides "that must have been bad DEF".

It could be bad DEF (doubtful)...it could be a clogged DEF injector; it could be a NOX sensor issue or an SCR cat issue.

You do understand that DEF is something that can be done day in and day out at diesel stations and driveways across the country, right? No need for a mr lube.

So, this will be expensive. Could be very expensive. How do you plan on diagnosing and repairing this?? Mr. Lube would not be in my top 500 places to take it....

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER 'the company that made the OE part" or.... 'A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label,"

OEM is NOT WHAT YOU BUY AT THE DEALER.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
A agree with Ard - you need to get this to a BMW dealer, or BMW Indy that understands the DEF/SCR system. It's a complicated (well, multi-test, multi-failure points) system that needs expert diagnoses. Look in the diesel subforum for the thread I detailed the many ways it can fail (I'm not an expert, just a suffering owner.)

If you get to the 0 miles/nostart, you're going to have to tow it to BMW shop to get the condition cleared, in all likelyhood, so just do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
Highly doubt that is DEF. Also, you do not go to Mr. Lube to add DEF. You can go to Wal Mart buy DEF and literally add in 2 minutes by yourself.
What is probably happening is failed NoX sensor.
Go to indy that know BMW's (especially diesels) in and out or dealership as last resort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kata67 View Post
I have a 2010 x5 35d. Have only had it about a month. The engine light came on saying Bank 1 NOx sensor.
I haven't fixed this yet when DEF fluid refill notification came on with mileage warning. I went to a Mr Lube and they refilled for me. Message went off. A few days later a message came up saying Incorrect fluid used and now I only have 200 km I can drive until apparently the engine won't start...Help and suggestions please.
Pull the "fault codes" first and then people might lead you in the right direction.

Diagnostics are $180 here in US; probably less at an Indy. In your case since the car is not even starting; take it the dealer and take it from there based on what they say. You don't need to blindly spend money based on what the dealer says so start with diagnostics and get get the "fault codes".
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Wait, a bit of an apology- you just bought it a month ago? You prolly got a bit screwed by the previous owner.... accusing you of ignoring the warning and driving it into the ground is prolly a bit unfounded...

The first thread on this forum was a gal, (actually then her boyfriend,) that had this 'wrong def' message. It was an epic thread, took many visits, much money, some help from the BMW dealership that tried to fix it, fella was a mechanic, so he was DIYing as well...since then, what, now 5 years later, we have seen quite a few.

Unfortunately, if you go to BMW, they run their 'test plan'...and I can tell you it is very very likely they will say 'bad NOX, bad SCR, bad DEF injector' 900+900+2700+400=4900. US$$. Just a wild guess, but preparing you.

Now...your challenge... how to find a competent BMW diesel shop in GTA? I believe member 'blue dragon' is semi local to you (here I will show my utter ignorance of Canada....he is in Pickering/Toronto). Perhaps PM him and ask him for a shop recommendation... He is a DIYer type, for sure- but might have a name for you.

Thats all I got for now....

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER 'the company that made the OE part" or.... 'A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label,"

OEM is NOT WHAT YOU BUY AT THE DEALER.

Don't believe me? Read:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 PM

Yes unfortunately engine light came on a week after we had it. Then the DEF fluid fill then the incorrect DEF message....bam bam bam ... expenses i wasn't thinking I would have right now a month later I just bought it

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-20-2017, 07:28 PM

We aren't at the no start yet . Still 160 km to go

Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM

There is only one code showing for NOx sensor bank one

Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
If there is a code, it can be several things.
1. The SCR metering valve might be clogged or faulty and the SCR is not receiving the correct dosage of the DEF. This is a relatively inexpensive fix See this thread http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=41
2. The Nox sensors readings might be out of range and need to be replaced. They are quite expensive. See this thread for an idea of the costs involved http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=nox+sensor

Ard explained to you, most likely it is not incorrect DEF, just that the computer is not seeing the results that it expects and gives this error. There is a passive DEF tank, there is an active (heated) def tank with a pump that pumps fluid from the passive tank to the active tank. Which tank did you fill?

The shops that I would recommend are
1. http://www.rmpmotors.com/ Rocco is the owner and knows his stuff inside and out.
2. http://www.bimmersport.ca/ - This is another shop where the people are knowledgeable.
3. http://www.autobahneast.ca/ - Mark the owner is an ex bmw master tech, knowledgeable and fair
The problem with both of those is appointments are often weeks out as they are normally quite booked.

The most expensive option will be the dealer, but you may also get faster service there

If you are a DIY kind of person, grab a K+DCAN cable and a copy of Rhiengold, and scan the car to read the codes. Then follow the test plans. Its the exact same thing the dealer will do

| '09 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 X1 MSport - Wife's daily | '17 - 340i MSport - My daily |

Last edited by blue dragon; 04-20-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:19 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Then follow the test plans. Its the exact same thing the dealer will do
... the dealer is supposed to do. HTH
Old 04-21-2017, 07:42 AM

Thanks for all your input

Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kata67 View Post
Thanks for all your input

One more thing - Rheingold can get too technical to download/setup etc. Carly adapter (75 dollars) and 45 dollar iPhone app do the job as well. Pretty easy plug and play.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
The Test Plans are valuable. DTC's do not identify a failed component to be changed, but a symptom that may be caused by many other failures. The Test Plans are differential diagnoses on a fault tree.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
I remember reading about the older (and cheaper) nox sensor still being available from BMW of Altanta I think, but I can't find the post. Anyone find the thread?

| '09 X5 35D - Work horse | '17 X1 MSport - Wife's daily | '17 - 340i MSport - My daily |

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search