BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Got my first M5!!!

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Turbo_525 
#1 ·
I just received a great M5 Dinan today with 80K on it. About the only thing that is an issue is the trunk has to be open in order for the car to start???? How do I correct this?

Regards, Akitaman

#3 ·
Just solved it today. Been away on biz so this was the first chance I had to work on it. Heres what it was, When I received the keys (one owner car) there was no clue to the fact the car had at one point in time a excalibur alarm system. So when I was in the trunk I found a remote for the alarm under the spare tire. This prompted me to look for the aftermarket system. Found it, fuse was removed, installed new fuse. Next I located the "valet button" under the dash. Reprogramed the system and all is good.

Next subject! Who makes the best ORANGE display stereo. The alpine TAPE DECK in the car has green display. That has to go.

#6 · (Edited)
Just solved it today. Been away on biz so this was the first chance I had to work on it. Heres what it was, When I received the keys (one owner car) there was no clue to the fact the car had at one point in time a excalibur alarm system. So when I was in the trunk I found a remote for the alarm under the spare tire. This prompted me to look for the aftermarket system. Found it, fuse was removed, installed new fuse. Next I located the "valet button" under the dash. Reprogramed the system and all is good.

Next subject! Who makes the best ORANGE display stereo. The alpine TAPE DECK in the car has green display. That has to go.
Good job on that diagnosis! Most would have given up more easily than you did!

That said, I detest aftermarket alarm systems. Had a Dodge diesel Ram (1st of 2 I've owned of those) that if you stopped the truck and left the engine running - it would re-lock the doors when you got out and closed the door!! :yikes: Had that truck 6 months, always kept a spare key in my pocket.

Those Tape Deck's may be collector's items soon! :rofl: But in some seriousness, if you plan to keep or even show this car - if it's the OEM radio head unit, keep it and provide it to the next owner. That way if it's ever actually a collectable *and e34 M5 are just rare enough they one day could be* you'll have all the parts.

Good luck - sounds like a nice car!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.