Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Coupe windows freezing shut in winter ?

Coupe owners in cold climates probably know what I`m talking about. Our windows normally drop down about 3/8 ths of an inch or so upon opening the door, and automatically raise up the same amount when closing the door. This is so the glass is secured up under the edge of the rubber seal, creating a wind-and-waterproof seal.

During cold, icy weather, what sometimes happens is that the glass gets frozen in the door, preventing the window from dropping down, making it difficult to impossible to get the door open. And, in the event that you DO manage to get the door open, it`s impossible to shut the door with the window all the way up, there`s a substantial danger of shattering the glass by slamming the door.

After putting up with this crap for a long time, I finally figured out a simple work-around to the problem....pool noodles....those long, polyurethane foam thingies that kids play with in the swimming pool. Using a sharp knife, slit one down the side. Put your window halfway down, install the slit noodle over the top of the glass, and trim to size, so it will cover the entire top of the glass. Using your key in the lock, use the "windows close" function to raise the glass until it just exerts a little pressure on the noodle.

This will give you the needed weatherproof seal, as well as leaving about a half-inch open gap at the top of the window, allowing the door to open and close freely, even if frozen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupe Window #1 (2).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	579315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupe Window #2 (800x800).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	579316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupe Window #3 (800x800).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	579317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupe Window #4 (800x800).jpg
Views:	208
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	579318  

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2016, 02:31 PM
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER

Mein Auto: '01 750 | '91 850 | '00 5
You can also put some silicone grease in the window channels. Lubricates and makes it easier on the motor / regulators, but also prevents freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'02 e46|M54 - Orient Blue|Beige|'Vert
'00 e39|M52 - Anthrazit Metallic|Grey
'01 e38|M73 - Anthrazit Metallic|Schwarz|Shadow-Line
'91 e31|M70 - Schwarz|Schwarz|M70
'13 328i Auto - Black Sapphire|Coral Red|Sport Line|Premium|CWP|GONE
'05 545i SMG - Jet Black|Black|Bamboo Anthracite|NAV|LOGIC7|Sport|Premium|Comfort Seats|CWP|GONE
'07 335i Auto - Montego Blue|Grey|Premium|CWP|GONE
'05 545i SMG - (Euro Delivery 7/22/05)|Black Sapphire|Auburn|NAV|Sport|CWP |GONE
'97 528i Auto - GONE
Old 10-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to roverT Send a message via AIM to roverT Send a message via MSN to roverT Send a message via Yahoo to roverT
Mein Auto: '04 ///M3 Individual
I just make sure I have greased the seals with rubber care and or olive oil or grape seed oil. Then buff it off after it soaks in. This repels water. Before I get out I make sure I hit the down button quickly. When I close the door the window should be sealed and doesn't go up that little bit. I've never had a problem with that.

There are many ways as Bob has mentioned. This is just my way.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 80 328xi 6m
Spray silicone on all the rubber seals will stop that too and it keeps the seals healthy over the years.. Only drawback it smells for a day or two but it's worth it

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2016, 05:53 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
I normally treat all the rubber seals on the entire car with Armor-All 3 or 4 times a year. Keeps everything nice & pliable, but hasn`t proven to be terribly effective against freezing. Never tried the silicone grease....I have a tube of Dielectric silicone grease, but it seems a bit too sticky and messy for use on window seals though....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-16-2016, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 80 328xi 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I normally treat all the rubber seals on the entire car with Armor-All 3 or 4 times a year. Keeps everything nice & pliable, but hasn`t proven to be terribly effective against freezing. Never tried the silicone grease....I have a tube of Dielectric silicone grease, but it seems a bit too sticky and messy for use on window seals though....
Use the spray...it's a dry lube after it drys and ice can't stick to silicone

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2016, 01:45 PM
hookersandblow

Send a message via AIM to Moeman10
Mein Auto: '99 M3
My old E36 had the same issues. I would always get a hot glass of tap water to pour on the roof and cascade down the window. A bit more dangerous but it always worked for me.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 330ci
ive always put a slight smear of light grease or vasaline
Old 02-22-2017, 09:57 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2012 M3
Greased seals have always done the trick for me, but I'm in Cali so it doesn't get that cold.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein. Trevon AKA Mini

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search