Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW i8
Modding BMW i8 Help!

Greeting fellas,

Thanks for visiting my thread. I am currently owning a Bmw i8 and wishing to replace its stock exhaust to something louder. I've been having troubles finding an aftermarket exhaust for the i8, as the i8 itself is mixed with an engine motor => no company develops.
Beside AC Schnizer (the only aftermarket exhaust for i8 I found), I would highly appreciate if you guys can suggest a way that I can make my i8 sounds better, maybe louder if possible.
Thanks a lot guys! Cheers!

P.S: Can I just replace an exhaust or muffler (that is not specially made for the i8) with the i8 stock exhaust? Will it work? Will it damage the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	548874  

Last edited by jacksontran41; 01-31-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2015\2016 i3s, F10 535d
It is possible that the sound generator coding could be changed to increase the volume of the exhaust sound made by the speaker in the rear, would be much easier and cheaper than changing out the exhaust if so.

May also be able to increase the ASD volume inside the cabin made by the speakers, so it seems louder both inside and outside.

Have you had any experience with BMW coding?

-E- I recommend trying the coding before any exhaust changes because having heard the i8 with the external sound generator unplugged, I was not really all that impressed. Hate to think somebody would spend a few thousand on a different exhaust to make their car sound less cool!

P.S. Love the paint job!

Last edited by God-Follower; 02-02-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Thanks for replying to my question? I'm genuinely appreciated bro!
I don't know anything about coding at all. I guess I will be asking some BMW tech guys for the coding. If the coding isnt successful, should I change the muffler? I've heard a Huyndai sedan with a Magnaflow muffler and it sounds incredible (bassy and boomy even tho the Huyndai model wasnt a high-end one)
Old 02-02-2016, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2015\2016 i3s, F10 535d
Well, first off your dealer is not the best place to ask about coding your car. Most dealerships frown on the act of coding, as it changes how the car was designed from BMW for that particular market.

The best place to get information on coding is online or from other owners who do coding. We have a great subforum here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175.

Also, it is something that can be done remotely if you opt to not do it yourself. Some of the coders on this site(myself included) can remotely code your car, if you do some prep work prior to the appointment. Feel free to PM me if that interests you, but you are also free to delve into the car's coding yourself. It really opens up alot of doors for enabling/disabling features on the car!

Again, I hesitate to say how good or bad your car will sound with a different muffler on it. I do know that with 3 cylinders your audible harmonics/pulses at low engine speeds will be pretty spread apart, which is usually not a good thing if you are looking for a nice exhaust note that is not annoying. It will likely sound great on a cold start, then once it is warmed up it may become not so great.

Keep in mind this is all speculation, as I have not seen-or heard of-it being done as of yet.

Last edited by God-Follower; 02-02-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the useful information bro! I just researched a bit about coding and they do seem very interesting. However, I might have difficulties to get the cable instantly, as I am living in Vietnam currently. I will ask for helps from some local coders and let you know with the updates. Once again, I'm very thankful for your help!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: bmw i8 Giga /650ix /435ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksontran41 View Post
Greeting fellas,

Thanks for visiting my thread. I am currently owning a Bmw i8 and wishing to replace its stock exhaust to something louder. I've been having troubles finding an aftermarket exhaust for the i8, as the i8 itself is mixed with an engine motor => no company develops.
Beside AC Schnizer (the only aftermarket exhaust for i8 I found), I would highly appreciate if you guys can suggest a way that I can make my i8 sounds better, maybe louder if possible.
Thanks a lot guys! Cheers!

P.S: Can I just replace an exhaust or muffler (that is not specially made for the i8) with the i8 stock exhaust? Will it work? Will it damage the car?

Hi are you still looking at a louder muffler system- I can recommend the Essing Titanium Muffler it is amazing also if you add a stage 1 ECU the car will jump another 52 HP and 0-60 in low 3s
Old 05-11-2017, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWWCREE View Post
Hi are you still looking at a louder muffler system- I can recommend the Essing Titanium Muffler it is amazing also if you add a stage 1 ECU the car will jump another 52 HP and 0-60 in low 3s
That sounds too good to be true.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bmw i8 exhaust mod

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search