N63TU engine problems - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 xdrive50i
N63TU engine problems

Hello all,
I am new to this forum, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I searched the posts and didn't find anything.

I have a CPO 2014 X5 50i with the N63TU engine. I see that all the older variants of the N63 have been subject to a "quiet recall" but not the TU, presumably because the problems have been fixed. Mine still guzzles a ton of oil, but we could live with this. This past week, however, I had the misfortune of taking the car on an extended roadtrip.

We headed out of Memphis on a Wednesday and intended to stop off in New Orleans for a few spdays before spending a week in Panama City Beach, FL. An hour out of New Orleans, I got the dreaded Drivetrain Malfunction warning light and car went into limp mode and began shaking uncontrollably
. I pulled off, turned the car off, and called BMW roadside assistance. By the time I restarted the car, the light was off and I was able to bring the car to the BMW dealer in New Orleans. They looked at the car and said it was an ignition coil...they replaced a single coil and we were on our way again...it only delayed us a few hours.

On Saturday, we left for the beach. We did not have any problems with the car in New Orleans. However, as we neared Pensacola, we again got the same warning light and the car began to shake again in limp mode. We got it to the nearest BMW dealer again...unfortunately their service dept was closed. Monday rolled around and we finally got a call...apparently the same cylinder was still sending out a problem code. This time they said they need to replace the cylinder fuel injector.

We've got a long drive to get home. Does it sound like this is going to fix the problem? Do we have any recourse as owners of an N63TU? Has anybody else had similar problems with their N63TU? Thanks guys.
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2017, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ///M3
My 750Li had this similar issue. They replaced all the injectors and spark plugs. But before I could get my car back it got in an accident and was totaled while it was at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-12-2017, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: F15 x5 xDrive 50i
Sorry to hear about you troubles. Car problems on vacation are no fun

Mileage? Towing?

Mine needed new valve stem seals on 5 and 6 and an upper oil pan gasket at 45k some towing.

I had it stumble and then blow white smoke in limp mode on a weekend road trip

The dealer replaced all valve stem seals, injectors, plugs, upper oil pan gasket. Now over 47k without any further issues.

That has been my experience. Will renew service contract shortly for peace of mind.

2014 F15 x5 xdrive 50i

Last edited by ALLUC; 06-12-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Add detail
Old 06-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 xdrive50i
Well, the car has 42K miles. Fortunately, it did not need towing in either case...we were able to limp off the highway and pull over. Then, after turning it off and giving it a few minutes, the warning light went off.

I have to say that I have mixed feelings about BMW roadside assistance. I had a terrible experience in the past...on Wednesday, they were surprisingly nice...they stayed on while I spoke to the engine tech, and called the New Orleans dealer for us and got us in expeditiously. Unfortunately, the Saturday crew lived down to my expectations, basically telling me I was S.O.L. when it turned out the service dept was closed at the second dealer. I had to raise a fuss to speak to a supervisor who subsequently put me in touch with the "concierge". They made the reservation for a rental car for me, but told me I had to pay! I made another fuss and was told I would have to submit a written claim to be considered for reimbursement. Uggh. I am really regretting this C.P.O. purchase...it has been nothing but problems for us.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335i,'88 M3, '15 X5,
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Namja View Post
My 750Li had this similar issue. They replaced all the injectors and spark plugs. But before I could get my car back it got in an accident and was totaled while it was at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Consider yourself lucky!
Old 06-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony(topaz,SMG) View Post
Consider yourself lucky!

Now I am in 2017 X5 X50i, with higher payment. And 750Li still not resolved with insurance. I am glad to be in new bigger car for the family. But lucky not quite.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
drivetrain malfunction, fuel injectors, ignition coils, n63tu

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search