Inquiry on 5.0 longevity - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)

X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 AM
vics vics is offline
Registered User
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: M5
Inquiry on 5.0 longevity

Hi gang - another newbie question here.

Excited to possibly purchase this 5.0 liter, 2014 CB/ M Sport package/ Mocha interior/ Harmon Kardon beast with CPO and 39K miles on it.

As I generally drive my vehicles into the ground (current E39 M5 has 301K miles), is there any reason to be cautious as higher miles approach?

- What typically requires attention at 50K, 75K, 100K miles and beyond?
- What are the wear items?
- What are the 'break' items?

Any high mileage owners, please weigh in!
Appreciate the inputs.
Vic
__________________
1998 BMW K1200RS; 115,000 miles
Late build 2000, Anthracite M5, 300,000 miles, Dinan exhaust, Cold Air, Stage II software
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is offline
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,230
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Just to be clear, the x5 v8 is a 4.4 liter turbo charged engine.

I think since you currently own a high mileage V8 BMW, you have a pretty good template on what to expect over the long haul.
__________________
On Order: 2017 540xi, Dealer Delivery
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 AM
vics vics is offline
Registered User
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Just to be clear, the x5 v8 is a 4.4 liter turbo charged engine.

I think since you currently own a high mileage V8 BMW, you have a pretty good template on what to expect over the long haul.
Thanks & I understand but the 2 engines are very different in that the M5's (also 12 years older) was most certainly an experiment motor (double Vanos issues/ bad piston ring design, bad rod bearings, bad chain guides, bad carbon build up- to name but a few) levied on the unsuspecting consumer. Its a delicate, temperamental and very maintenance intense paradigm that I spent untold hours of personal involvement and heartache routinely fixing to get to where it is.

That said, it compared to a 'turbo' V8 engine with I HOPE has a better maintenance track record is what I'm inquiring about as what i 'hear' anecdotally, is that 'turbo' motors are somewhat problematic in their own ways - and that's why I'm here: To gain personal evidence to the contrary. I'm hoping to allah () that BMW got their V8 act together on this as I've got a kid now, am not spending weekends with the hood open and want to enjoy the experience rather than merely survive it, and don't get me wrong, you can't have enough 100 miles tows back to your house due to mechanical & fuel related issues in then an $80,000 vehicle, I'd just like to know how often that's going to occur .

Thanks!
__________________
1998 BMW K1200RS; 115,000 miles
Late build 2000, Anthracite M5, 300,000 miles, Dinan exhaust, Cold Air, Stage II software

Last edited by vics; 06-09-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:27 AM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is offline
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,230
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Do you know which engine is in the model you are buying? There are two versions of the N63 (the N63 and N63 TU). The first version (N63) has a TON of reliability issues are comparatively low mileage. Search the board for more details. BMW really hasn't progressed that much in their ability to produce a reliable V8. The N63 TU has been better but I understand there are problems starting to become apparent as well. Look through the F10/F11 forum for more details. Here is the sticky thread on the N63: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=817273
__________________
On Order: 2017 540xi, Dealer Delivery
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2017, 06:01 AM
lowlevelhell lowlevelhell is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Nashville
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 293
Mein Auto: 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vics View Post
That said, it compared to a 'turbo' V8 engine with I HOPE has a better maintenance track record is what I'm inquiring about as what i 'hear' anecdotally, is that 'turbo' motors are somewhat problematic in their own ways - and that's why I'm here: To gain personal evidence to the contrary. I'm hoping to allah () that BMW got their V8 act together on this as I've got a kid now, am not spending weekends with the hood open and want to enjoy the experience rather than merely survive it, and don't get me wrong, you can't have enough 100 miles tows back to your house due to mechanical & fuel related issues in then an $80,000 vehicle, I'd just like to know how often that's going to occur .

Thanks!
The new motor has reliability issues as well, though more seem to be appearing in the N63TU2 vs. the N63TU1 in the F15.
__________________
2015 X5 35d
2016 740i M Sport

Last edited by lowlevelhell; 06-10-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 AM
vics vics is offline
Registered User
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
Do you know which engine is in the model you are buying? There are two versions of the N63 (the N63 and N63 TU). The first version (N63) has a TON of reliability issues are comparatively low mileage. Search the board for more details. BMW really hasn't progressed that much in their ability to produce a reliable V8. The N63 TU has been better but I understand there are problems starting to become apparent as well. Look through the F10/F11 forum for more details. Here is the sticky thread on the N63: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=817273
Thank you! The VIN states: Engine: N63T. Is this the 'good' or the bad one? - Must say, I'm disappointed observing that in 12 years hence, BMW still defies the ability to get their V8 **** together.
__________________
1998 BMW K1200RS; 115,000 miles
Late build 2000, Anthracite M5, 300,000 miles, Dinan exhaust, Cold Air, Stage II software

Last edited by vics; 06-13-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 PM
mnx5er mnx5er is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Minneapolis
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 490
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X5 5.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vics View Post
Thank you! The VIN states: Engine: N63T. Is this the 'good' or the bad one? - Must say, I'm disappointed observing that in 12 years hence, BMW still defies the ability to get their V8 **** together.
Google is your friend (plus the search in these forums). Google "n63t engine problems" and enjoy the reading.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms