Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 PM
You only live twice!

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
Which battery is which??

Perhaps this is a question ONLY for my fellow Canadian members......or maybe not.

While in my local Canadian Tire store this past week, I stopped by the parts department and asked the fellow at the counter what the price of a new battery for my 325i might be.

I told him it was a 2004. He looked it up in his onscreen database and asked me which battery I needed.

My response was, "Whichever one it takes."

"There are THREE different ones", he said.

So, as it turns out, he DID (or, at least Canadian Tire did) have 3 different listings for a replacement battery for my car. I believe he referred to them as a 92, 94 and 96 Series. (Or SOME numeric reference similar to that).

Any idea what he was talking about?
ARE there 3 different SIZES or MODELS of replacement battery for the 325i?
If so, why? And which one would I want or need?

Thanks for all comments.
Michael
Old 06-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 e46 Touring M-Sport
Depending on how much electric equipment car had from factory, there might have been different capacity batteries. AND cold climate is heavier on battery than warm, so that might have been another reason for different choice from factory.

For you in Canada, i recommend biggest capacity you can afford (if driving your bmw in winter time), that way you have reserve which helps to avoid problems in winter time, when freezing weathers make battery weaker.

E46 was produced in many different models, from 316i till 330d, but battery compartment is same for all models, meaning there can be options of different size batteries and they all fit physically, some cars just need higher capacity than others. Starting diesel engine outside in freezing weather would be possibly heaviest stress on battery at once.

OR you could just look at your old battery and see what capacity it has and get another similar and be done with it.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:15 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
OR you could just look at your old battery and see what capacity it has and get another similar and be done with it.
Yes, unless someone replaced it previously.....with the wrong battery.

BMW CCA member
Old 06-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
You guys up in The Great White North ever hear of a little place called "Walmart" ????

Just cruise on over there and pick up an H8 MaxxLife (for around $135 USD)

No worries, mang....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-09-2017, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
You guys up in The Great White North ever hear of a little place called "Walmart" ????

Just cruise on over there and pick up an H8 MaxxLife (for around $135 USD)

No worries, mang....
@ Fastbob......I too am needing to replace my 8 year old BMW battery in my '05 330cic. I was looking at getting the WalMart H7 battery. But now see you suggest the H8, which has a greater CCA (900 versus 790) are they the same physical size to fit into the battery tray area?

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav31 View Post
@ Fastbob......I too am needing to replace my 8 year old BMW battery in my '05 330cic. I was looking at getting the WalMart H7 battery. But now see you suggest the H8, which has a greater CCA (900 versus 790) are they the same physical size to fit into the battery tray area?
The H8 is a perfect fit in E46 Coupes & sedans, the `verts take a slightly smaller unit, I believe.
I would not feel bad about installing an H7.

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 328I
ACDelco or Interstate battery are the only quality batteries at an affordable price. The junk from Walmart, AutoZone, etc will all leave you stranded and buying a new battery in a couple of years. I have a glassmat ACDelco with ten years on it and it is still kicking strong.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:50 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke21 View Post
ACDelco or Interstate battery are the only quality batteries at an affordable price. The junk from Walmart, AutoZone, etc will all leave you stranded and buying a new battery in a couple of years. I have a glassmat ACDelco with ten years on it and it is still kicking strong.
You ever hear of a company called Johnson Controls ? They make 75% of all the aftermarket batteries sold in the US....

Old 06-12-2017, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 328I
No I haven't. But even if one company builds multiple companies batteries, that doesn't mean they all have the same guidelines and standards for their batteries.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke21 View Post
No I haven't. But even if one company builds multiple companies batteries, that doesn't mean they all have the same guidelines and standards for their batteries.

My walmart battery lasted 9 years
Old 06-15-2017, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
My Walmart battery lasted 6 years. Died tonight. Bummer.
Bob, I looked up the my 323i and it said H7. Is the H8 the same size but higher CCA? The H7 was out of stock.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:48 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_Bimmer View Post
My Walmart battery lasted 6 years. Died tonight. Bummer.
Bob, I looked up the my 323i and it said H7. Is the H8 the same size but higher CCA? The H7 was out of stock.
See Post #6....

Old 06-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 325xi
Battery capacity for load size. AutoZone specified battery for an 03 325 xi wagon..... Is 00/00. This means that the AutoZone replacement battery will fit.........And after considering adding length to both pos and neg cables for fit....MANHANDLE the battery...make it fit...and oddly AutoZone batteries will fit my 325 wagon...but without a barbers hair for measure....Lucky You Autozone!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search