Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Hulp

I'm having a really tough time with this one.
I've been DIY'ing all of the maintenance and repairs on my car basically since I got it almost two years ago. I don't have a scanner yet, I will order one by the end of the week though (overdue).
Basically, I've had the slightest bit of waiver in my rpm's at idol on startup for a few months now, and then about a week ago I accidentally put 87 in the car (because I'm a dolt from time to time), not a full tank from empty but a significant portion of it mixed with the 93 that was left in the tank. A few days ago, however, I got a check engine code and took it to my local auto part store who scanned it and it came up as a P0175 (I guess technically P0175 and P0172) which is too rich on bank two and bank one respectively. He suggests it is most likely to be the canister purge valve. I have already visually inspected the MAF, the majority of the intake sensors and the airbox, the throttle body without taking it off and cleaning it, etc. Haven't checked the charcoal canister or the canister purge valve yet but that's the next on my list. I did attempt a crude code reset by disconnecting the battery and touching the leads together, but when it all came back up the codes hadn't reset, so the problem most likely is persisting and idol is getting rougher now.
I know our cars can be pretty picky sometimes, but I don't know if my gas goof up contributed to or created the problem. What are the most likely things that could be wrong? I'm not the most experienced mechanic but I've been learning a lot, and am willing to learn a lot more.

Also can anyone recommend a cheapo BMW specific scan tool? Something like a Peake is probably out of my range for right now, but something like a Bluetooth scanner and phone app might be in suit.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2017, 02:27 PM
beemlyfe

Mein Auto: 2009 335i, 2003 330i
Carly and a bluetooth dongle (I used the wired connection, but I have an android)

Your car doesn't have turbos, I truly wouldn't be concered about putting 87 in it. But that's MY opinion.

Once you purge all the old gas out, reset the codes and put some FIC in it. Don't just disconnect the battery. See where you end up.

- 2009 335I, M-Sport W/ Prem, Manual, Dinan Stage 2 Performance Package
- 2003 330I, ZHP, Manual (my pride and joy)
Old 06-15-2017, 02:53 PM

Fair enough. Thank you!
I did see the Carly app, I also looked into torque pro because I have an old android phone laying around, I just wouldn't have any mobile data on it. First world problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Torque Pro will only give you generic codes but no BMW specific codes. Get the Carly Adapter and App. It's worth it. You probably just need a new O2 Sensor coming off the engine exhaust. That will throw those codes. Another thing you can do is run some of the stuff (name escapes me) for catalytic converters through your engine (autoparts stores will have it). That took care of my issue once. I did have to eventually replace my bank one O2 sensor though once the light kept coming on.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Carly it is then.
Yeah I had been looking at all kinds of resources and getting overloaded with troubleshooting tactics. I will see if Autozone or somewhere has something like that. Ive heard you can clean them with a butane torch too if they're just dirty.
Thanks for the input! This ones just a total head-scratcher

Old 06-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Straight Edge

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 328i
+1 for BMW Carly.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:09 PM

Went to a few auto stores looking for one that would reset the light to see if it would come back. After being rejected by a few, I walk back out to my car, and...no light.
I decided just to be safe I'd take out on a few windy back roads for a lengthy drive, you know, just to be sure . Still no ses
So yeah, I guess it was having trouble compensating for the octane difference in some way, but had been corrected long enough to go through a few cycles at normal conditions. Still, not complaining. Hopefully it doesn't come back any time soon.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328xi
It will. It's a bmw. Just get a good scanner.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:27 PM

Definitely. It'll be in the mail early next week. Best investment in a long time.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
I look up Carly on Amazon. There's many different versions. Would you mind sharing what model it was, or even a link? Thanks

Old 06-17-2017, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkV View Post
Carly it is then.
Yeah I had been looking at all kinds of resources and getting overloaded with troubleshooting tactics. I will see if Autozone or somewhere has something like that. Ive heard you can clean them with a butane torch too if they're just dirty.
Thanks for the input! This ones just a total head-scratcher

Generation 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbswear View Post
I look up Carly on Amazon. There's many different versions. Would you mind sharing what model it was, or even a link? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
ECS Tunings Schwaben scan tool has treated me well...
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...FUKUaQodrTsKFA

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search