Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 05-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 39,899
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by 528i black-E View Post
I had the same problem going up hills, so i did a transmission tune up,on my 2000 528I,now it runs smooth, I used castrol multi vehicles. I have a GM transmission with Dextron 3.. Make sure you have drained all oil on the torque converter and transmission,make sure you changed the filter and when filling back with new oil make sure your car is label to a straight position to get the accurate quantity of oil in your transmission!!!.
How did you get the oil out of your torque converter ?
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Caver Dave Caver Dave is offline
Teufel Hunden
Location: Foothills of NC
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 116
Mein Auto: 2004 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
How did you get the oil out of your torque converter ?
__________________
2004 Titanium Silver 330xi Auto @ 188k - *New* Bosch Alt (130k), G.A.S. DISA kit & 1.2bar Billet coolant cap, fuel filter (133k), Valve Cover Gasket (140k), VDO FuelPump (143k), Giubo & CSB (144k), Cooling System Refresh, CCV, OFHG (155k)
2004 Ford F-350 4x4 C&C w/ 9' steel flatbed, 6.0L early stages of de-alphabetizing
1972 Jeep Commando - AMC304 w/ TBI, TH400, Lifted, locked 4.27s, caged, bumpers, winch, 140A alt, OBA & airhorn... slightly modified for occasional offroad use
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-22-2015, 06:58 PM
evanr614 evanr614 is offline
Registered User
Location: Columbus
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
Starless, I have had the same issue after flushing and filling with Redline D4 in my GM tranny. I'm going to pick up a ton of Pentosin ATF1 and re-flush and will most likely never touch it again.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 39,899
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
Starless, I have had the same issue after flushing and filling with Redline D4 in my GM tranny. I'm going to pick up a ton of Pentosin ATF1 and re-flush and will most likely never touch it again.
You do know that there`s a big difference between "flush", and "drain & refill", right ?

Also, that about 40% of the old fluid remains inside the TC, which is why a D&R needs to be repeated 2 or 3 times to get as much new fluid as possible into the system.
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 PM
evanr614 evanr614 is offline
Registered User
Location: Columbus
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
You do know that there`s a big difference between "flush", and "drain & refill", right ?

Also, that about 40% of the old fluid remains inside the TC, which is why a D&R needs to be repeated 2 or 3 times to get as much new fluid as possible into the system.
Fully aware. By flush I meant 3 drain and fills. Hence the "tons" of fluid.

Thanks dude
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Fast Bob's Avatar
Fast Bob Fast Bob is online now
Keeping it surreal
Location: Here, there, everywhere....
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 39,899
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
Fully aware. By flush I meant 3 drain and fills. Hence the "tons" of fluid.

Thanks dude
Good luck with that, I hope you get better results this time around !
__________________
The road goes ever onward....
(R.I.P. Jever)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-17-2017, 07:27 PM
timberwolf5 timberwolf5 is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2010 328 xi
Hi guys,

I also had a bad experience replacing my GM tranny with valvoline dexron VI fluids. I did my transfer case at the same time.

Whats interesting is that my drive to the BMW dealer ship to get my transfer case reset was smooth as butter. After resetting the transfer case my bmw became sluggish. I think the BMW tech reset my transmission adaptations too (because I mentioned to him that I changed the tranny fluid. He may have reset the transmissions adaptations as a favour). My BMW shifted like a bucking a bronco after going to the dealership.

Maybe its not the fluids and its the transmission adaptations reset that's the culprit.

Nevertheless, one year later I have become used to the hard shifts. It has also improved over time (transmission self adapting?). It also improved after I did a second flush and refill. However, the car does not feel like it did before I changed the fluids the first time.

Oh well this is a starter BMW (2010 328xi). I'll be upgrading soon. Give this one to the future wife maybe.

Last edited by timberwolf5; 06-17-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-17-2017, 08:54 PM
cvx5832 cvx5832 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,132
Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf5 View Post
Hi guys,

I also had a bad experience replacing my GM tranny with valvoline dexron VI fluids. I did my transfer case at the same time.

Whats interesting is that my drive to the BMW dealer ship to get my transfer case reset was smooth as butter. After resetting the transfer case my bmw became sluggish. I think the BMW tech reset my transmission adaptations too (because I mentioned to him that I changed the tranny fluid. He may have reset the transmissions adaptations as a favour). My BMW shifted like a bucking a bronco after going to the dealership.

Maybe its not the fluids and its the transmission adaptations reset that's the culprit.

Nevertheless, one year later I have become used to the hard shifts. It has also improved over time (transmission self adapting?). It also improved after I did a second flush and refill. However, the car does not feel like it did before I changed the fluids the first time.

Oh well this is a starter BMW (2010 328xi). I'll be upgrading soon. Give this one to the future wife maybe.
Try the E90 forums?
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Starless Starless is offline
*^^^^^^^^*
Location: STL, MO
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,711
Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf5 View Post
Hi guys,

I also had a bad experience replacing my GM tranny with valvoline dexron VI fluids. I did my transfer case at the same time.

Whats interesting is that my drive to the BMW dealer ship to get my transfer case reset was smooth as butter. After resetting the transfer case my bmw became sluggish. I think the BMW tech reset my transmission adaptations too (because I mentioned to him that I changed the tranny fluid. He may have reset the transmissions adaptations as a favour). My BMW shifted like a bucking a bronco after going to the dealership.

Maybe its not the fluids and its the transmission adaptations reset that's the culprit.

Nevertheless, one year later I have become used to the hard shifts. It has also improved over time (transmission self adapting?). It also improved after I did a second flush and refill. However, the car does not feel like it did before I changed the fluids the first time.

Oh well this is a starter BMW (2010 328xi). I'll be upgrading soon. Give this one to the future wife maybe.

Ironically enough I feel the same sluggishness after resetting adaptations. You'd think it will be the opposite.

You know there is a saying "do not fix what's not broken".

Good news the car will relearn the adoptive values in a few days and will be fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms