Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:32 PM
BMWs since 1975

Mein Auto: 2014 F30 335xi M-Sport
Remove Grab Handle?

Anyone know how to remove the grab handle above the F30 driver's door?

Unlike earlier models (like the E90), the grab handle is not fastened with two screws, but has some sort of metal clip under the plastic cover.

Has anyone done this or seen a DIY. Likely, instructions for headliner replacement would have this info also.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2016, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: bmw f30 320d, hsv gto.
F30 remove grab handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwboulder View Post
Anyone know how to remove the grab handle above the F30 driver's door?

Unlike earlier models (like the E90), the grab handle is not fastened with two screws, but has some sort of metal clip under the plastic cover.

Has anyone done this or seen a DIY. Likely, instructions for headliner replacement would have this info also.

Thanks.
Hi all, I just remove the grab handle on my f30 320d in preparation for installing sunglass holder. Not very easy the first time. You will need a plastic trim removal tool, a long nose pliers and a flat blade screwdriver. First remove the cover with the plastic removal tool, (I actually think they break off as they look like there a part of the inner clip). Then grab the long nose pliers, grab the retaining clip and use a skinny flat blade screwdriver to hold the retaining tab in an up position to release the clip. Once the plastic clip is removed, then you will need a larger flat blade screwdriver and push through the metal clip, at the same time pulling in an upward motion, (this dislodges the bottom of the metal clip, then insert the screwdriver in the top metal clip and pull out, repeat on the other side and the handle is free. It took me about half an hour to do, but if I was to do another one, it would probably take 1 minute. hope this helps. p.s. I haven't looked at removing the liner, but I would imagine you have to remove all the fittings, (lights, switches, grab handles etc.) and then it's probably clipped, so you would just pull in a downward action being careful not to damage anything or kink the liner, (this is only an educated guess).
Old 07-07-2016, 04:51 PM
BMWs since 1975

Mein Auto: 2014 F30 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims28 View Post
Hi all, I just remove the grab handle on my f30 320d in preparation for installing sunglass holder. Not very easy the first time. You will need a plastic trim removal tool, a long nose pliers and a flat blade screwdriver. First remove the cover with the plastic removal tool, (I actually think they break off as they look like there a part of the inner clip). Then grab the long nose pliers, grab the retaining clip and use a skinny flat blade screwdriver to hold the retaining tab in an up position to release the clip. Once the plastic clip is removed, then you will need a larger flat blade screwdriver and push through the metal clip, at the same time pulling in an upward motion, (this dislodges the bottom of the metal clip, then insert the screwdriver in the top metal clip and pull out, repeat on the other side and the handle is free. It took me about half an hour to do, but if I was to do another one, it would probably take 1 minute. hope this helps. p.s. I haven't looked at removing the liner, but I would imagine you have to remove all the fittings, (lights, switches, grab handles etc.) and then it's probably clipped, so you would just pull in a downward action being careful not to damage anything or kink the liner, (this is only an educated guess).
Thanks for this. I'm going to try to follow your directions.

On a related topic: Can you tell me what sunglass holder you installed? Is it the one designed for the E90 (i.e. using the grab handle's two screws), or have you found one designed for the F30?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwboulder View Post
Thanks for this. I'm going to try to follow your directions.

On a related topic: Can you tell me what sunglass holder you installed? Is it the one designed for the E90 (i.e. using the grab handle's two screws), or have you found one designed for the F30?
No, the e90 is different and won't fit. The f30 is a clip in one NOT screwed. I bought sunglass holder from ebay specifically for the f30 (slightly more narrow grab handles than the e90)
Old 06-17-2017, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M-B ML320
One more time?

I've gotten the plastic covers off and I see the V-shaped clips but even after reading the description of what to do next, I don't get it. Could you maybe clarify what I do with each side of that clip? Sorry to have to ask but you clearly know and I can't find anyone who has successfully done this.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 PM

F30 remove grab handle

Hi and thanks for your question.
Once you have removed the square looking cover, you need a long nose pliers to grab the sides of the plastic retaining clip (see photos) squeeze from left to right on the clip while pulling out, (a bit hard as the pliers keeps slipping off the clip. once you have remove the plastic retaining clip, look inside the hole where the clip was and about 1 /12 cm in you will see a thin metal line (top and bottom), you need to insert a thin flat blade screwdriver just under this metal to release the metal retaining clips. Note: when you push the screwdriver in the top one, once it is release, then use a downward pull to keep the clip release until you do the bottom one. if you don't use any pressure to hold clip out of it's home position then it will go back into it's original place and lock again. p.s. I have tried many times to load photos, but it keeps saying that bimmerfest cant be contacted and there offline or something. anyway I'll try a little later to load some photos.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M-B ML320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims28 View Post
Hi and thanks for your question.
Once you have removed the square looking cover, you need a long nose pliers to grab the sides of the plastic retaining clip (see photos) squeeze from left to right on the clip while pulling out, (a bit hard as the pliers keeps slipping off the clip. once you have remove the plastic retaining clip, look inside the hole where the clip was and about 1 /12 cm in you will see a thin metal line (top and bottom), you need to insert a thin flat blade screwdriver just under this metal to release the metal retaining clips. Note: when you push the screwdriver in the top one, once it is release, then use a downward pull to keep the clip release until you do the bottom one. if you don't use any pressure to hold clip out of it's home position then it will go back into it's original place and lock again. p.s. I have tried many times to load photos, but it keeps saying that bimmerfest cant be contacted and there offline or something. anyway I'll try a little later to load some photos.
Photos? I'm sure that would tell the story but I don't see any. Can you try to upload them again? Thank you very much!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 PM

F30 remove grab handle

photos of grab handle retaining clips, finally I managed to upload them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	601099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	601100   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	601101   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	601102  
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 325 CI
Thanks for this! Installed mine today looks great!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search