would you get this fixed? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
So an update almost 2 months since I wrote this post.

I got both the windshield and the bumper fixed.

Got the windshield done at the dealer. Went smooth for the most part except that the windshield has some funny spots which I simply could not remove with just using windshield washer. I took it back and they used some ammonia-based cleaner to get it off and the car stunk real bad for several days.

Dealer doesn't do body work so they referred me to a body shop for the bumper.

I called my insurance and they estimated the damaged at ~$720 and sent me a check immediately. They said I have up to a year to fix it.

After I was done with the windshield replacement, I made an appointment with the body shop to drop the car off to get the bumper fixed. They estimated an additional ~$240 of work. So all told the bumper damage cost just under $1000 to fix. They did not have to replace the bumper.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 60K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Old 06-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Tree Hugging Gas Sipper
that's pretty crazy! an aftermarket bumper + paint & install will cost you less than $1000.00
Old 06-08-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc@pro View Post
that's pretty crazy! an aftermarket bumper + paint & install will cost you less than $1000.00
I thought it might have been just a bit more than $1K based on some previous posts.

Anything involving any kind of insurance seems to cost too much nowadays!

I wonder if body shops are like healthcare providers -- i.e. charge different rates depending on whether or not one is using insurance.

2015 328i / M Sport / Alpine White / Coral Red / 4 DR / 6 MT / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 60K+ Miles / Bought 10-30-2014
Old 06-08-2017, 03:30 PM
Account Under Review

body shops (at the end of the day) will do what is best in their financial interest. A good one will not sacrifice customer satisfaction in the process, but often times you will hear complaints around those lines...very unfortunate.

Prices will fluctuate from city of city, but from my experience, shouldn't cost more than $500 to paint/install a bumper and a new aftermarket bumper should be in the $500 range.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc@pro View Post
Prices will fluctuate from city of city, but from my experience, shouldn't cost more than $500 to paint/install a bumper and a new aftermarket bumper should be in the $500 range.
If they were replacing the bumper, I would have insisted on OEM parts.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
If they were replacing the bumper, I would have insisted on OEM parts.
Definitely, if it was an option, I don't see why anyone wouldn't
Old 06-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
So an update almost 2 months since I wrote this post.

I got both the windshield and the bumper fixed.

Got the windshield done at the dealer. Went smooth for the most part except that the windshield has some funny spots which I simply could not remove with just using windshield washer. I took it back and they used some ammonia-based cleaner to get it off and the car stunk real bad for several days.

Dealer doesn't do body work so they referred me to a body shop for the bumper.

I called my insurance and they estimated the damaged at ~$720 and sent me a check immediately. They said I have up to a year to fix it.

After I was done with the windshield replacement, I made an appointment with the body shop to drop the car off to get the bumper fixed. They estimated an additional ~$240 of work. So all told the bumper damage cost just under $1000 to fix. They did not have to replace the bumper.
$1000 is about right for bumper repair around here.

The extra $240 should be paid by insurance as supplements.

A preferred approach is to send $960 quote to insurance, and shop + insurance can settle on a final price, and then the car can be brought in for repair. The extra $240 can be paid directly to shop, or to insured, but the shop will require full payment of $960(including assignment of first $720 check) to release the repaired car.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I thought it might have been just a bit more than $1K based on some previous posts.I wonder if body shops are like healthcare providers -- i.e. charge different rates depending on whether or not one is using insurance.
Around here, auto repair rate is higher than negotiated insurance rate. The difference varies a lot, e.g. one CRCC has dealer rate of $110-$120/hour, while negotiated insurance rate of $68/hour!!!

Healthcare rates are so messy, it is best not to discuss on this forum.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
$1000 is about right for bumper repair around here.

The extra $240 should be paid by insurance as supplements.

A preferred approach is to send $960 quote to insurance, and shop + insurance can settle on a final price, and then the car can be brought in for repair. The extra $240 can be paid directly to shop, or to insured, but the shop will require full payment of $960(including assignment of first $720 check) to release the repaired car.
I paid the shop whatever the insurance co paid me. The rest was set up for direct bill and they have approval from insurance.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I paid the shop whatever the insurance co paid me. The rest was set up for direct bill and they have approval from insurance.
Sounds good. To be complete the check cut by insurance usually is minus deductible, and the shop will ask for the amount on the check, plus deductible(and the rest can be directly paid to shop).
Old 06-08-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Sounds good. To be complete the check cut by insurance usually is minus deductible, and the shop will ask for the amount on the check, plus deductible(and the rest can be directly paid to shop).
Insurance co sent me the deductible as well because the insurance co of the other party accepted responsibility.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Insurance co sent me the deductible as well because the insurance co of the other party accepted responsibility.
That is really cool. My rear bumper cover was recently replaced after a hot exhaust(probably custom bike) backed into it and melted a 3-inch diameter area. The bumper cover replacement costed $1500 with OEM part(covered by policy), but the deductible still applied as the other party was unknown.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
That is really cool. My rear bumper cover was recently replaced after a hot exhaust(probably custom bike) backed into it and melted a 3-inch diameter area. The bumper cover replacement costed $1500 with OEM part(covered by policy), but the deductible still applied as the other party was unknown.
Sorry to hear about this.

It's because of things like this and windshield damage that I have a very low comprehensive deductible ($100). That way, if it's something that happens when the car is parked, my out of pocket damage is minimal. Incidentally, I also made use of that when replacing a cracked foglamp.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search