Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328i
Got airbag recall done, now airbag light is coming on

Mom drives a '07 328i she bought from a friend a couple of years ago. She got the airbag recall done like two months ago and a couple of days afterward, the airbag light started coming on. It's intermittent when it comes on and when it doesn't.

We brought it back to the dealer who installed the airbag a week ago. They say it has nothing to do with the airbag. It's a sensor in the passenger seat. Something like the sensor thinks there's someone in the passenger seat, but that there's not enough weight in the passenger seat to arm the airbag.

And sometimes when someone's in the passenger seat we've noticed the air bag light won't come on. But other times it will.

Being new to BMW ownership, we're wondering if there's any cheaper way of fixing this? We don't do this kind of work ourselves. The dealer wants $1,500 to replace the sensor. The local mechanic who we do really like said he'd replace it for $1,200.

Any chance of contacting BMW corporate and getting them to come down on the dealer? Despite the dealer saying they have nothing to do with it. It is odd the light started coming on right after they did the airbag recall.

Mom has to bring the car into the local mechanic to fix other stuff this week anyway if there's any info we can ask him to gather for us.
Advertisement
Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
The BMW seat sensor does two things:
  1. it senses weight on the seat, without a butt in it, so that it does not allow the airbag to deploy (for a grocery bag or for a child seat, it knows 'seat occupied not by an adult' and it lights up the light on the display console above the rear view mirror).
  2. it senses an adult butt on the seat, via a capacitive sensor so that it allows the airbag to deploy ('seat occupied by an adult')

My seat sensor in my 2011 developed a fault in not sensing an adult occupant in the seat, so it was replaced under warranty. I asked my SA what it would have cost if not covered by warranty, and he told me 'about $500-600, parts and labor'...this a statement from a BMW dealer in the pricey SF Bay area! When the pad is replaced, coding has to be done.

Last edited by wilt; 06-18-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by levander View Post
Mom drives a '07 328i she bought from a friend a couple of years ago. She got the airbag recall done like two months ago and a couple of days afterward, the airbag light started coming on. It's intermittent when it comes on and when it doesn't.

We brought it back to the dealer who installed the airbag a week ago. They say it has nothing to do with the airbag. It's a sensor in the passenger seat. Something like the sensor thinks there's someone in the passenger seat, but that there's not enough weight in the passenger seat to arm the airbag.

And sometimes when someone's in the passenger seat we've noticed the air bag light won't come on. But other times it will.

Being new to BMW ownership, we're wondering if there's any cheaper way of fixing this? We don't do this kind of work ourselves. The dealer wants $1,500 to replace the sensor. The local mechanic who we do really like said he'd replace it for $1,200.

Any chance of contacting BMW corporate and getting them to come down on the dealer? Despite the dealer saying they have nothing to do with it. It is odd the light started coming on right after they did the airbag recall.

Mom has to bring the car into the local mechanic to fix other stuff this week anyway if there's any info we can ask him to gather for us.
Sorry about your luck, but that's what you get with a BMW, no luck.

BMWNA won't give two craps if you contact them. The sensor has nothing to do with the airbag being replaced. It's just the low quality, high cost of ownership one gets to deal with when owning a bimmer. Being that your car is 10 years old now, plan on spending at least that much yearly in random repairs...and add your regular maintenance costs. As your BMW systems start to fail, you'll spend more on your car in the next 3 years than it's worth.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
The airbag recall replaces the driver air bag behind the steering wheel(takata) so I think they
are right. The passenger airbag seat sensor is a known sore point (separate issue)and there is a recall
out on that for some years, unfortunately it happens in almost any BMW and the recall does
not cover all years.

There is a a airbag bypass product for this location.
https://www.ebay.com/i/322545309107?chn=ps&dispItem=1
because its such a common problem.
Look in the DIY or maintenance section of e90post or do a google search on the subject.

Read this see if your car is in the recall years
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=925434

Your car may be covered for this under the recall its for some 06 and 07 models.
This is now a full on recall for years covered not just a warranty.
I had mine done. Have them tape the wood on the doors they scratched mine when
removing the seat.

http://brandilawblog.wpengine.com/wp...bmw-recall.pdf

Last edited by ctuna; 06-18-2017 at 10:07 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search