Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-18-2017, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix
Can someone school me on the DSC/Brake/4X4 warning lights?

Just sold my '04 E46 and bought a used '10 328ix.

I know from the prior servicing dealer that it's been throwing codes for transfer case issues. Prior owner, of course, says "never happened to me". I'll deal with that.

Car has about 73k miles on it. Everything I've searched on says look to transfer case actuator for trouble, but I don't have any grinding noises, oil leaks, etc.

What I have found is after about 10 or so minutes of driving it, especially if I hit a dip in the road that compresses the suspension, all three lights come on and the cruise control cancels and won't come back on . The exact timing varies from 5 minutes to 15, and it doesn't always required a dip in the road to make it happen.

Now, AWD I can do without, but the cruise control not working is a non-starter.

After shutting off the car, ejecting the key, waiting a couple minutes, then restarting, lights are off and cruise control works.

I get the cruise not working. A BMW "safety feature". I'm just glad it doesn't go into limp mode.

Anyone have any tips? Seen this failure experienced before? I did do a search and didn't come up with anything after reading lots of threads.

Thanks!

Last edited by Davein; 06-18-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Anyone want to weigh in? The funny thing is the issue is scarily repeatable. It goes the same distance every night on the way home from work, about 7 or so miles and 10 minutes and the warning lights all come on at the same point on the freeway.

I got INPA working last night and found the VGSG has a 55C3 38, which I think is the transfer case. Also have a DSC 5EC0 A0, which I think is the steering sensor. I did the steering wheel left/right this morning to see if that had any impact, and it does not.

No grinding noises, no oil leaks. I do have some other codes, but in the KOMBI, FAS, FRM. None would seem to have an effect on the transfer case.

I'll be clearing the codes tonight and then seeing what pops up next time.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:00 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 17Outback
Steering sensor could well be misaligned but that isn't the issue here.
It sounds like the plastic gear is shot in the transfer case.
Also the fluid is only 0.6L and should have been changed at 30K miles and every 30K miles after that.
It accelerates the wear in the entire transfer case but especially a plastic gear coated with nano particles of metal in super oil BMW sells.
Ain't no way this guy didn't have the same issue so either he was deaf and blind or lied his ass off.

Hope your outcome is a good one but I think your transfer case is going to need a new gear which should clear all the issues.
I think you will find a good deal of information on the X3 site and I recall at least one DIY on that gear but that is from memory....
Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 328xi
It's not steering sensor. Most likely it is your actuator motor. Need to plug it into bmw coder and see if the motor responds to the calibration procedure. If it doesn't then the motor is bad. If it does and will not calibrate then the transfer case is bad.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:18 AM

Thanks, guys. I did pull some more codes last night with INPA, then cleared them to see what pops up.

And the strange thing is that it is not making any bad sounds while driving. The maintenance was previously done by a reputable indy shop, though I can't see from the records if they changed the Xdrive fluid. It shows they changed the power steering fluid a couple times, so maybe they did.

The actuator motor is not making any nasty noises while driving. No clicking or clunking either before, or prior to the warning lights coming on, which is curious. And it only happens after driving at least 10 minutes at highway speeds, so I didn't catch it on the test drive.

The one thing I do hear, which I did not with my M3, is a brief, like one second, or two, mechanical noise like a pump or motor, when I open the door and sit in the car. It's coming from the rear, I think rear right. Does the fuel pump prime on these when the system wakes up?

Thanks again. I'll try to post the codes I pulled last night. It's all in German and mine is limited, so I need to google some words that I don't understand.

As you say though, it would appear I'm ultimately looking at least to an actuator motor replacement, if not a transfer case replacement. I'll be looking for some sources for reputable salvage yards where I can find a good used unit.

Last edited by Davein; 06-21-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 328xi
The sedans do not have the same plastic gear like they do in the suvs. You won't hear the popping or grinding in these cars.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve111 View Post
The sedans do not have the same plastic gear like they do in the suvs. You won't hear the popping or grinding in these cars.
Thanks, Steve. Appreciate the information on actuator.

I have the K+DCAN cable, INPA, and most of the other tools. Haven't downloaded Rheingold yet. Just learning to use them. I did see a calibration button in INPA last night. Didn't push it as I hadn't read up enough to know the implications.

Can I run the calibration with one of the software tools?

Really appreciate all the help. The funny thing is my E46 was 6 years older and I bought this thinking I would have fewer issues long term. HA! Oh well, I think after I get this sorted, it will still be a decent vehicle. If can get this fixed and it will go another 50K miles, I'll be happy with the purchase.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search