NC Dealers - Good and Bad - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > BMW Dealer Ratings and Feedback Forum

BMW Dealer Ratings and Feedback Forum
Want to know which BMW dealerships to shop at or avoid? Have you had an exceptionally good or bad experience with your BMW dealership? Post your stories and comments here. Be sure to rate your BMW dealership in our new BMW dealer rater system

Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 335i Coupe
NC Dealers - Good and Bad

I wanted to share experience with shopping in NC. My local dealer in Asheville (Fletcher BMW) provided the WORST CS I've ever experienced. Untrained, unskilled salespeople, and management that had a couldnt-care-less attitude. They did not get my business - 2 07's in 6 months - oh, well.
I ended up doing business with Tim Nelson at Hendrick BMW in Charlotte NC - he was terrific - made it all smooth, returned calls quickly, and got me deals that other dealerships around the state refused to even consider. The whole experience at this center was outstanding, and highly recommended.

That's my 2 cents on that.
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F80 M3, F10 535i
I've had mixed results at Hendrick BMW. My first car deal with them was a PITA. My second has been fantastic. Since the first car I've changed CA's.

I've become good friends with my new CA Carrie everything went much smoother this time around. I would highly recommend her.

It was almost like I had to prove I was ready to buy this car to them the first time around. They kept giving me these ridiculous prices and it wasn't until I finally said I called another dealer and this is the deal they quoted so I'm going there this weekend that they actually did alright for me. On the second car they didn't screw around and gave me the deal I wanted with out protest.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '15 428i, 911,Benz & MGs
We have four BMW centers within 75 miles.
We buy our BMW's from Mike Wilson at Crown in Greensboro. Their service department is fine, but Flow BMW in Winston-Salem is closer, and Flow's Asst Svc Mgr Gary Granger and SA Kenny Starnes take excellent care of our cars.
Dealer HI is closer, but once tried to charge us the full three hour flat-rate labor charge for changing brake pads... when my first X5 was already in the air with the wheels off for a BMW-paid brake inspection!
Dealer HB is even closer. I dont like fighting the Charlotte city traffic to get there, and after they tried to fat-finger a BMW purchase, I've taken my business elsewhere.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Current 'Fest Addict

Mein Auto: '08 335i Coupe 6MT
As for the Triangle area, we're really limited to either Leith in N. Raleigh or Performance BMW in Chapel Hill. I got my current bimmer from a dealer in NY, but I've been getting it serviced at both Leith and Performance. I'd say I like Perfomance better for service, they're just easier to deal with when making an appointment. Plus my service rep was fantastic, very courteous. I did talk to a SA about doing ED and he gave me the usual inflated numbers and BS talk about having to pay ED MSRP. As far as regular US delivery though, I think they'd be good.

Before: Steel Blue/Grey Leather '05 e46 330xi -- premium, heated, xenon

BMWCCA#: 365964

They really do have heart and soul....
Old 09-15-2007, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Thumbs down Crown BMW of Greensboro, NC

I had a very unpleasant experience with Crown BMW of Greensboro, NC today. We went there to purchase a 07 335i. They had a used one in stock with some miles. We made the deal and started negotiating the price. The sticker was around $46k and we made our final offer which they agreed! At this point I went out and started looking at the car for the final time in detail and found that front wheel had a curb damage. Once I asked the sales person (his name is John) why he didn't tell me about the damage and I want that to be replaced/fixed, he just simply started screaming and we had to call off the deal. I told him if they were behaving like that to a prospective customer, I can't imagine what experience I would have once I walk off the door after the purchase.

Talk about the BAD experience! I am currently working with a performance BMW guy in Chapelhill. So far he turned out to be a nice guy. But I tell you, all these folks are more and less same. However, I have heard really good things about Johnson Lexus dealership in Raleigh.

Last edited by bmwfanatic07; 09-15-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Good luck with Performance. We had a terrible experience when we recently went to purchase a car from them. They lied and tried to rip us off. They were totally unprofessional. We had enough and went to Leith. We dealt with Roland Lewis and he was outstanding. We have done business with both dealerships before and after a minor issue with Leith, we started going to Performance for service.

Anyway, earlier in the year, DH was rear-ended. The lady barely clipped the back left corner. The light was smashed and an orange size dent in the corner. We insisted on the car being fixed at a BMW dealership. Performance is the only dealership in the area with a body shop. They said the rear quarter panel needed to be re-painted. The cost was $2200+.

So, here's where we get to the issue. It was January and the car had not been washed and was dirty. Performance repaired the car without washing it. I kid you not, it came back to us with the only clean area on the car was where they painted. The bill had a line for car wash $23.95, customer declined. Now, they never asked us if we wanted it washed and if they did we would have opted to have that done. Certainly, I would have expected the car to be washed BEFORE doing paint and body work. The paint work was terrible. They didn't even hook up the CD player after dismantling it to work on that rear quarter panel. Sloppy, shoddy workmanship all around.

We had spent quite a bit of $$$ at their dealership over the last year on service and repair and they still tried to screw us on a purchase. I don't even know why we went there looking for a car but I won't make that mistake again.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Current 'Fest Addict

Mein Auto: '08 335i Coupe 6MT
I haven't had any major service work done at Performance but for all my minor stuff, they have been great. The SA's that I've worked with have been very friendly and always take great care of me. As far as the CA's go, I've just started dealing with them and it seems like the same old car dealer tactics. That being said, they have been willing to work with me, and I'm pretty hardball with my price lines.

I wish there were more dealerships around, having to go all the way to Chapel Hill or North Raleigh sucks. Cruisechik, I'm sure you can relate.

Before: Steel Blue/Grey Leather '05 e46 330xi -- premium, heated, xenon

BMWCCA#: 365964

They really do have heart and soul....
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535
Here is a viewpoint on NC BMW dealerships from a female perspective: Earlier this summer a salesman at Flow BMW in Winston-Salem gave me his card when he saw me on the lot just before closing time. I saved his card and in mid-September I called him out of the blue to make an appointment to test drive a X3. He was initially polite and pleasant, but it didn't take him long to ask me the "Who makes the purchasing decisions in your family?" question. When I told him that my husband and I would ultimately make the decision together, he became argumentative with me and stated that I should make an appointment for a time when he could come with me. I wonder how many men are subjected to such a humiliating experience.

I tried to explain to him that the vehicle being considered was for ME to drive, not my husband, and that I have to be sold on the vehicle before I'll even bring my husband to the dealership. I just simply am not asking my husband to leave work early to look at something I MIGHT like. By the time my husband gets involved, I feel like it is up to me to have the vehicle chosen, and how can I choose a vehicle when the salesman argues with me when I ask to come and look at it?

When I told my husband about this exchange, he was shocked and angry. IF we decide to look at Flow BMW, I will definitely find another salesperson who will think our business is important enough that he or she will be willing to see me alone-- and with my husband. I bet if I had been a 47-year-old man wanting to buy a M5 instead of a 47-year-old woman wanting to buy a X3 that he would have never asked how purchasing decisions are made and argued with me that I need to bring my wife along--he would have made the appointment and wet himself with joy!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:41 PM

Here is a viewpoint on NC BMW dealerships from a female perspective: Earlier this summer a salesman at Flow BMW in Winston-Salem gave me his card when he saw me on the lot just before closing time. I saved his card and in mid-September I called him out of the blue to make an appointment to test drive a X3. He was initially polite and pleasant, but it didn't take him long to ask me the "Who makes the purchasing decisions in your family?" question. When I told him that my husband and I would ultimately make the decision together, he became argumentative with me and stated that I should make an appointment for a time when he could come with me. I wonder how many men are subjected to such a humiliating experience.

I tried to explain to him that the vehicle being considered was for ME to drive, not my husband, and that I have to be sold on the vehicle before I'll even bring my husband to the dealership. I just simply am not asking my husband to leave work early to look at something I MIGHT like. By the time my husband gets involved, I feel like it is up to me to have the vehicle chosen, and how can I choose a vehicle when the salesman argues with me when I ask to come and look at it?

When I told my husband about this exchange, he was shocked and angry. IF we decide to look at Flow BMW, I will definitely find another salesperson who will think our business is important enough that he or she will be willing to see me alone-- and with my husband. I bet if I had been a 47-year-old man wanting to buy a M5 instead of a 47-year-old woman wanting to buy a X3 that he would have never asked how purchasing decisions are made and argued with me that I need to bring my wife along--he would have made the appointment and wet himself with joy!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
friend of the marque

Send a message via AIM to mullman
Mein Auto: '09 MINI, '09 HD, '67 BMW
Diana-

What an idiotic thing to come out of a man's mouth - and trust me, I have said some stupid things, just ask my wife.

I can give you names of quality CAs I have personally dealt with at Hendrick (2 males, 1 female). No connection other than satisfied customer. PM me if you need some info.

'09 MINI S: 'Ronin' '09 H-D Nightster '67 R60/2+'52 Steib sidecar
•previous '95 318i '00 540i6 '61 R50S '69 R69US '98 R1100R '65 R50/2 '64 R50/2 '07 BMW 530i6 ED
Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 PM

I wanted to post an update to my post last night in which I negatively referred to a salesperson at Flow BMW in Winston-Salem. This morning I decided to give Flow another try, this time with a different salesperson. I was immediately approached by a salesman who greeted me, directed me to the type vehicle I asked to see, and patiently answered dozens of questions. He did not hesitate to offer a test drive (which I took) and later we sat at the computer for over an hour looking for a car. I couldn't have been treated any nicer.

I finally told the salesman this morning about my earlier experience, and he seemed embarrassed for the dealership. After offering apologies on behalf of the dealership, he explained that this guy was new and young (probably nearly half the age of the man I worked with this morning). In order for my new salesman to continue working with me, he had to explain the situation to the sales manager so that I could be reassigned in their computer. The sales manager is now aware of the problem and will be discussing it with the original salesman.

I was treated with respect, and my complaint was dealt with properly. I could tell that someone there cared whether we bought a car and that they realized the fact that MY opinion of the car and their dealership would play a significant role in whether my husband and I fork over thousands of dollars there.

Also, thanks to the guy who recommended Hendrick in Charlotte. I agree--I stopped there this summer and met a salesman there who was exceptionally nice.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: '15 Genesis 3.8
Glad your Flow experience was positive. My three visits were decidedly different and something other than positive. The stories of how I was treated are long, but I'm guessing that I wasn't taken seriously because of the way I was dressed. My check for a 540i would have cleared, so their loss. Worse yet though, I attempted to share my experiences and concerns with BMW in New Jersey. They flatly refused to connect me with a regional manager. That woukd have been out of policy i was told. The customer service agent said someone might contact me. No one did. Corporate arrogance is all-too common.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > BMW Dealer Ratings and Feedback Forum
Today's Posts Search