Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325xi
Tranny Overheat Issue

Hey guys my 06 BMW 325xi has been throwing the yellow transmission overheat symbol extremely sporadically lately. I'll be driving up the highway, going 75, and it will pop on and put me into limp mode. I'll pull over, turn the car off, turn it right back on, the light goes away and I continue my trip with no problem. It was only doing this maybe once a month but now that the summer is here, and it has been hot, it is doing it all the time. Has anyone had any similar experiences with this issue?
In the past year I've replaced the water pump, drained and filled the tranny fluid (it was doing it before that), but I really have no idea why it is doing this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2017, 06:17 AM
Straight Edge

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 328i
Did you replace your thermostat when you did the water pump?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:26 AM

Yes, I put a new thermostat in per my mechanic recommendation. I did not put a new transmission thermostat in thought.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:29 AM
Straight Edge

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 328i
How is your coolant level? Maybe do a pressure test.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 X5d - 06 325i
Are you getting a yellow gear? If so that is just fail safe mode for the transmission. Scan for codes with a good BMW scanner. Report back.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd5004 View Post
Hey guys my 06 BMW 325xi has been throwing the yellow transmission overheat symbol extremely sporadically lately. I'll be driving up the highway, going 75, and it will pop on and put me into limp mode. I'll pull over, turn the car off, turn it right back on, the light goes away and I continue my trip with no problem...
If the transmission/fluid were ACTUALLY too hot, simply stopping, restarting & continuing would NOT cause a reduction in that actual temperature.

Assuming your transmission fluid level is correct and the transmission filter is NOT gummed up, restricting fluid flow/pressure (I also assume you have no shifting faults, etc.), it would seem that you have an electronic problem in the TCM or the "Mechatronic Connector," the electrical connector to the transmission (see page 240-20 of Bentley Manual).

Improper pin contact in this connector due to fluid leak, faulty assembly, etc. CAN cause the type of problem you are experiencing, when there is NO ACTUAL overheat condition.

Your ATF cooler MAY be dirty, restricting air flow to cool the fluid, but if that is clean, an overheat signal at highway speed is most likely an electrical malfunction.

ANYONE know if there is a separate, replaceable temp sensor in the transmission (ZF 6HP19 on OP's model), or what sensor sets the yellow trans overheat warning light?

I would suggest Google search, as Bentley is no help, either in Electrical or AutoTrans sections.

George
Old 06-19-2017, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: F10 N52 RWD
You need to change your transmission fluid and filter. Like someone else said, stopping to restart is not going to lower temperatures or fix the transmission issue.

Did someone seriously ask you about your engine thermostat if it's the transmission overheating? And you mentioned that you haven't replaced the transmission thermostat? Wow...
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Most likely sealing sleeve or solenoid issues

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-19-2017, 12:33 PM

Yes, it is the yellow gear light that comes on. I'm having it scanned from BMW this weekend, I'll report what they say. I also did recently change my tranny fluid, I'm not sure about the filter but I will check on that.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM

My mechanic was thinking it was electrical as well because it started doing it when I went into kick down mode on the highway trying to pass someone. But then, when it got hot (over 90) it did it 8 times during a 10 mile drive.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
If the transmission/fluid were ACTUALLY too hot, simply stopping, restarting & continuing would NOT cause a reduction in that actual temperature.

Assuming your transmission fluid level is correct and the transmission filter is NOT gummed up, restricting fluid flow/pressure (I also assume you have no shifting faults, etc.), it would seem that you have an electronic problem in the TCM or the "Mechatronic Connector," the electrical connector to the transmission (see page 240-20 of Bentley Manual).

Improper pin contact in this connector due to fluid leak, faulty assembly, etc. CAN cause the type of problem you are experiencing, when there is NO ACTUAL overheat condition.

Your ATF cooler MAY be dirty, restricting air flow to cool the fluid, but if that is clean, an overheat signal at highway speed is most likely an electrical malfunction.

ANYONE know if there is a separate, replaceable temp sensor in the transmission (ZF 6HP19 on OP's model), or what sensor sets the yellow trans overheat warning light?

I would suggest Google search, as Bentley is no help, either in Electrical or AutoTrans sections.

George
My mechanic was thinking it was electrical as well because it started doing it when I went into kick down mode on the highway trying to pass someone. But then, when it got hot (over 90) it did it 8 times during a 10 mile drive.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Most likely sealing sleeve or solenoid issues
Do you know if you have to tear the tranny apart to fix this issue? Or just drop the pan? Or possibly could it be external?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
You need to change your transmission fluid and filter. Like someone else said, stopping to restart is not going to lower temperatures or fix the transmission issue.

Did someone seriously ask you about your engine thermostat if it's the transmission overheating? And you mentioned that you haven't replaced the transmission thermostat? Wow...
I wasn't stopping and starting to actually cool the fluid, I was just doing it because it would go away and take me out of limp mode. The first time it happened I thought I might have to get it towed so I started it back up to try and get to an exit that was close and it went away.
The fluid has been changed but that didn't fix it.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd5004 View Post
Do you know if you have to tear the tranny apart to fix this issue? Or just drop the pan? Or possibly could it be external?
You need to drop the pan and mech unit, which isn't very hard. But this is just a guess based upon common issues with the ZF trans in your model. Typically you'll get ratio fault codes or other codes related to the clutches. It's more often then not a solenoid issue because they can cause pressure issues when they are clogged/failing.

But if you do end up doing solenoids, do them all, replace the foam insulating strip along the solenoids, do the 3 sealing sleeves, bridge seal (that's what I call it), the pan w/integrated filter, and mech unit connector seal.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-20-2017, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d - 06 325i
Send your code to ZF and see what they say.
https://www.zf.com/usa_canada/en_us/...l_cars_us.html

Good reading
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...thread-137584/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZF-6HP19-6HP...xXqTak&vxp=mtr

http://www.thectsc.com/

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search