Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-09-2017, 04:43 AM
cdu8 cdu8 is offline
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
M Sport Steering Wheel cleaning

Just bought a cpo 335i m-sport with 42k miles. Whoever had it did NOT take care of the wheel. It looked horrible when I got it. After about an hour of cleaning with a chemical guys brush and Griot's interior cleaner the leather regained that nice matte finish again. But when I was cleaning the wheel it looked I was removing some type of rubber coating or something. Did I ruin the steering wheel? Or was it just THAT dirty?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 AM
tim330i's Avatar
tim330i tim330i is offline
Bimmerfest.com Founder
Location: SF
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 15,477
Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Moved to our detailing forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 AM
cdu8 cdu8 is offline
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Moved to our detailing forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim


Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 PM
MikeyC01 MikeyC01 is offline
Registered User
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: BMW 340xi
Looks like the finish failed on your steering wheel. You'll either need to get the leather refinished which might last a year or two or you can get the wheel rewrapped with new leather. I've also seen some kits where you can cover the old leather with new and it's pretty convincing.
__________________
340i x-drive
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 AM
cdu8 cdu8 is offline
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC01 View Post
Looks like the finish failed on your steering wheel. You'll either need to get the leather refinished which might last a year or two or you can get the wheel rewrapped with new leather. I've also seen some kits where you can cover the old leather with new and it's pretty convincing.


Thanks for the input. The steering wheel does feel slightly sticky, I was cleaning the leather at the 9 o'clock position because it was really dirty, I guess whoever had it drove at 9 and 3 a lot. And I noticed some blue looking color on the cloth I was using. So I think you're right because the dye is coming off the wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,582
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
That OEM leather is gone... re-wrap it and get colored stitching at the same time:





Quote:
Originally Posted by cdu8 View Post
Thanks for the input. The steering wheel does feel slightly sticky, I was cleaning the leather at the 9 o'clock position because it was really dirty, I guess whoever had it drove at 9 and 3 a lot. And I noticed some blue looking color on the cloth I was using. So I think you're right because the dye is coming off the wheel.
__________________

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 AM
cdu8 cdu8 is offline
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That OEM leather is gone... re-wrap it and get colored stitching at the same time:





How much should I be expecting to pay if I get it re-wrapped? Will it have the same feel as an oem wheel?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,582
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdu8 View Post
How much should I be expecting to pay if I get it re-wrapped? Will it have the same feel as an oem wheel?
That cost me $300... it looks and feels OEM and the leather that the shop uses withstand more wear and tear than OEM leather -leather remains matte longer. Search for "DCT Motorsport"...
__________________

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM
cdu8 cdu8 is offline
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That cost me $300... it looks and feels OEM and the leather that the shop uses withstand more wear and tear than OEM leather -leather remains matte longer. Search for "DCT Motorsport"...


I'm in Texas. Would I need to remove my wheel and ship it to them?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:42 PM
cdu8 cdu8 is offline
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That cost me $300... it looks and feels OEM and the leather that the shop uses withstand more wear and tear than OEM leather -leather remains matte longer. Search for "DCT Motorsport"...


I mean obviously I would need to remove the wheel, but I've never done it before. I watched a couple videos that give me an idea. Will anything be messed up when I disconnect the battery and reconnect it? I just don't want my car throwing a ton of fault codes. Will I need to keep the battery disconnected the whole time my wheel isn't hooked up?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,582
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdu8 View Post
I'm in Texas. Would I need to remove my wheel and ship it to them?
You have two options: ship your wheel to them or pay extra for a core return -they use their own wheel, ship it to you once done, you send your wheel as core return, you get your extra money back). Don't know how much extra they charge for core return.

I do not disconnect battery when I swap wheels (5 wheels and counting). Just make sure that engine is not running or ignition in accessory, obviously.
__________________

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 PM
cdu8 cdu8 is offline
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho
Location: Houston, Tx
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You have two options: ship your wheel to them or pay extra for a core return -they use their own wheel, ship it to you once done, you send your wheel as core return, you get your extra money back). Don't know how much extra they charge for core return.



I do not disconnect battery when I swap wheels (5 wheels and counting). Just make sure that engine is not running or ignition in accessory, obviously.


Oh ok. I haven't taken anything apart on my car before as far as interior trim goes. So the airbag won't blow up in my face when i'm disconnecting it? Kind of an irrational fear I have. Lol. I emailed a company called CraftCustoms, they're located here in Texas. They seem legit and do professional work. This is what they quoted me:
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
OEM Audio PnP Integration
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 7,582
Mein Auto: 2017 M3
So far no airbag explosion... if in doubt then disconnect battery.

I would ask CraftCustoms to send photos of their work so you can decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdu8 View Post
Oh ok. I haven't taken anything apart on my car before as far as interior trim goes. So the airbag won't blow up in my face when i'm disconnecting it? Kind of an irrational fear I have. Lol. I emailed a company called CraftCustoms, they're located here in Texas. They seem legit and do professional work. This is what they quoted me:
__________________

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms