Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:43 AM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Mein Auto: 2017 F83 and 2014 335i
M Sport Steering Wheel cleaning

Just bought a cpo 335i m-sport with 42k miles. Whoever had it did NOT take care of the wheel. It looked horrible when I got it. After about an hour of cleaning with a chemical guys brush and Griot's interior cleaner the leather regained that nice matte finish again. But when I was cleaning the wheel it looked I was removing some type of rubber coating or something. Did I ruin the steering wheel? Or was it just THAT dirty?
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Moved to our detailing forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim
Old 06-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
Moved to our detailing forum, you'll get more help in here.

Tim

Thank you
Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 340xi
Looks like the finish failed on your steering wheel. You'll either need to get the leather refinished which might last a year or two or you can get the wheel rewrapped with new leather. I've also seen some kits where you can cover the old leather with new and it's pretty convincing.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 AM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC01 View Post
Looks like the finish failed on your steering wheel. You'll either need to get the leather refinished which might last a year or two or you can get the wheel rewrapped with new leather. I've also seen some kits where you can cover the old leather with new and it's pretty convincing.

Thanks for the input. The steering wheel does feel slightly sticky, I was cleaning the leather at the 9 o'clock position because it was really dirty, I guess whoever had it drove at 9 and 3 a lot. And I noticed some blue looking color on the cloth I was using. So I think you're right because the dye is coming off the wheel.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:57 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
That OEM leather is gone... re-wrap it and get colored stitching at the same time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdu8 View Post
Thanks for the input. The steering wheel does feel slightly sticky, I was cleaning the leather at the 9 o'clock position because it was really dirty, I guess whoever had it drove at 9 and 3 a lot. And I noticed some blue looking color on the cloth I was using. So I think you're right because the dye is coming off the wheel.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 06-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That OEM leather is gone... re-wrap it and get colored stitching at the same time:

How much should I be expecting to pay if I get it re-wrapped? Will it have the same feel as an oem wheel?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
How much should I be expecting to pay if I get it re-wrapped? Will it have the same feel as an oem wheel?
That cost me $300... it looks and feels OEM and the leather that the shop uses withstand more wear and tear than OEM leather -leather remains matte longer. Search for "DCT Motorsport"...

www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 06-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Quote:
That cost me $300... it looks and feels OEM and the leather that the shop uses withstand more wear and tear than OEM leather -leather remains matte longer. Search for "DCT Motorsport"...

I'm in Texas. Would I need to remove my wheel and ship it to them?
Old 06-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Quote:

I mean obviously I would need to remove the wheel, but I've never done it before. I watched a couple videos that give me an idea. Will anything be messed up when I disconnect the battery and reconnect it? I just don't want my car throwing a ton of fault codes. Will I need to keep the battery disconnected the whole time my wheel isn't hooked up?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm in Texas. Would I need to remove my wheel and ship it to them?
You have two options: ship your wheel to them or pay extra for a core return -they use their own wheel, ship it to you once done, you send your wheel as core return, you get your extra money back). Don't know how much extra they charge for core return.

I do not disconnect battery when I swap wheels (5 wheels and counting). Just make sure that engine is not running or ignition in accessory, obviously.

www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com
Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Dat Hofmeister Kink tho

Quote:
You have two options: ship your wheel to them or pay extra for a core return -they use their own wheel, ship it to you once done, you send your wheel as core return, you get your extra money back). Don't know how much extra they charge for core return.

I do not disconnect battery when I swap wheels (5 wheels and counting). Just make sure that engine is not running or ignition in accessory, obviously.

Oh ok. I haven't taken anything apart on my car before as far as interior trim goes. So the airbag won't blow up in my face when i'm disconnecting it? Kind of an irrational fear I have. Lol. I emailed a company called CraftCustoms, they're located here in Texas. They seem legit and do professional work. This is what they quoted me:
Old 06-19-2017, 03:45 PM

So far no airbag explosion... if in doubt then disconnect battery.

I would ask CraftCustoms to send photos of their work so you can decide.

Quote:
Oh ok. I haven't taken anything apart on my car before as far as interior trim goes. So the airbag won't blow up in my face when i'm disconnecting it? Kind of an irrational fear I have. Lol. I emailed a company called CraftCustoms, they're located here in Texas. They seem legit and do professional work. This is what they quoted me:

www.TechnicPnP.com
TechnicPnP@Hotmail.com

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search