Boosted e46 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-18-2017, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Boosted e46

So I'm not just making this too start **** but more to clarify to people that think they know everything about boosting an e46 and how much it would cost I was at the track today for proving grounds and met a guy who is running 18psi on stock internals with upgraded injectors a custom tune and a 1000hp rated clutch he has the m54b30 and before the tune and injectors he was running 12psi with the stock tune and the maf was accounting for the extra air his afr gauges were stabile and he never had any issues besides clutch slippage because he only had a 700hp rated clutch and he said it sucked so but the turbo set up injectors and tune were $2,000 and he has been driving this car across country and beating the hell out of it at many drifting events so before you go spouting about how it is gonna cost $10,000 to turbo an e46 maybe actually try it before just saying it won't work

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidsbeamer View Post
So I'm not just making this too start **** but more to clarify to people that think they know everything about boosting an e46 and how much it would cost I was at the track today for proving grounds and met a guy who is running 18psi on stock internals with upgraded injectors a custom tune and a 1000hp rated clutch he has the m54b30 and before the tune and injectors he was running 12psi with the stock tune and the maf was accounting for the extra air his afr gauges were stabile and he never had any issues besides clutch slippage because he only had a 700hp rated clutch and he said it sucked so but the turbo set up injectors and tune were $2,000 and he has been driving this car across country and beating the hell out of it at many drifting events so before you go spouting about how it is gonna cost $10,000 to turbo an e46 maybe actually try it before just saying it won't work

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Let's break this post down a bit...

Quote:
I was at the track today for proving grounds and met a guy who is running 18psi on stock internals with upgraded injectors a custom tune and a 1000hp rated clutch
18 PSI on stock internals? He must have a thicker head gasket. Once you get above... oh... 10 PSI or so, that compression ratio needs to start coming down. What's another cost-efficient way to do so than by installing a thicker head gasket? Also, exactly what kind of clutch is it? I can't think of too many E46 clutches on the market these days that can support 1,000 HP.

Quote:
he has the m54b30 and before the tune and injectors he was running 12psi with the stock tune and the maf was accounting for the extra air his afr gauges were stabile and he never had any issues besides clutch slippage because he only had a 700hp rated clutch and he said it sucked
There is no way in hell he can run 12 PSI on a stock tune. Not going to happen. At all. I'm only running 8.5 PSI on my supercharger and it required the DME to be flashed. Also, if he had a clutch rated for 700 HP and it slipped at 12 PSI, then that was a garbage clutch. At 12 PSI, he might be making 360 WHP.

Quote:
the turbo set up injectors and tune were $2,000 and he has been driving this car across country and beating the hell out of it at many drifting events
Anyone can piece-meal a decent turbo kit together for a reasonable price (more than $2,000, I can promise you that), but the tuning is where you'll really get hammered. I mean, c'mon... $2,000 for parts AND tuning? I want to know where he bought his stuff and got his car tuned!

So, OP... where are the pictures, videos, and some type of documentation to prove all these claims?

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 06-19-2017 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:10 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & ST 335i
Eh.. it all sounds fishy. If anything SPD and myself know a lot about boosting an E46. And I for one have done tuning myself and built 2 kits myself... and just did a custom build on a E92. SOOOOO... with that said.
I'd like to see pics, what tuning program he used and what ECU.

Stock internals at anything above 12psi EVEN With larger head gasket isn't going to survive. It's just not possible. One being that the rods are cast and they will bend at certain torque levels. Second the pistons are cast and at high rev limit will slam into the valves at extreme boost pressure.

To much comes into play.

TheMalibuMafia.com

BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
BMW 2007 335i. Single Turbo 6266.
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool - SOLD
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Well I'm at the track any more and I don't know who this guy is so I can't get picture or anything all I know is he said there's a guy from Europe that he talked to and this guy is also running 12psi on stock internals and stock tune a obviously the 700hp clutch was a ****ty one that's a ridiculous number and the 1000hp clutch was probably from some kind of ///M turbo kits aren't very expensive at all unless you are going for the top of the line stuff but you can get a $500 ebay kit and then get a used turbo off any dsm for less than $300 and he said he sent his ecu to get unlocked then brought the car in for dyno tuning with was $1100 and then add in what every little stuff you need like exhaust piping air filter $100 and there's your $2000

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-19-2017, 02:43 PM
TheMalibuMafia

holy **** no periods or commas nothing. I don't even know what I just was reading.

Rapid. The guy is pulling your chain and is a bull****ter. That's basically what's going on.

TheMalibuMafia.com

Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Well I'm at the track any more and I don't know who this guy is so I can't get picture or anything all I know is he said there's a guy from Europe that he talked to and this guy is also running 12psi on stock internals and stock tune a obviously the 700hp clutch was a ****ty one that's a ridiculous number and the 1000hp clutch was probably from some kind of ///M turbo kits aren't very expensive at all unless you are going for the top of the line stuff but you can get a $500 ebay kit and then get a used turbo off any dsm for less than $300 and he said he sent his ecu to get unlocked then brought the car in for dyno tuning with was $1100 and then add in what every little stuff you need like exhaust piping air filter $100 and there's your $2000

Post breakdown #2.

Quote:
Well I'm at the track any more and I don't know who this guy is so I can't get picture or anything all I know is he said there's a guy from Europe that he talked to and this guy is also running 12psi on stock internals and stock tune
So you don't know this guy. It's a guy who knows a guy who's friends with a guy... As for 12 PSI? Nope. Plain and simple.

Quote:
obviously the 700hp clutch was a ****ty one that's a ridiculous number and the 1000hp clutch was probably from some kind of ///M
Yeah... 700 HP is a ridiculous number, especially for a non-M E46 without a purpose-built engine. And the clutch was not from any kind of M, unless he had some kind of adapter to bolt an M3 transmission up to an M54B30 or to bolt an M3 clutch to a non-M tranny.

Quote:
turbo kits aren't very expensive at all unless you are going for the top of the line stuff but you can get a $500 ebay kit and then get a used turbo off any dsm for less than $300
That eBay turbo kit is mostly garbage. The piping and intercooler are about the only things worth keeping from it, and that's only for low boost applications. Everything else can go. As for the DSM turbo, a stock DSM turbo isn't going to give you big power. You might be able to squeeze out 400 WHP if you're lucky, but you'd be putting a hurting on that turbo.

Quote:
he said he sent his ecu to get unlocked then brought the car in for dyno tuning with was $1100 and then add in what every little stuff you need like exhaust piping air filter $100 and there's your $2000
The ECU doesn't have to be "unlocked". It's just a matter of flashing new parameters on it to change the tune. And you're not going to get a custom exhaust system and intake for $100.

Either he's bullshitting you or you're trying your hardest to bullshit us. Either way, this entire thread reeks of bullshit.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 06-20-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
TheMalibuMafia

TheMalibuMafia.com

Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 PM

K

Old 06-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Stock dsm turbos push 20psi easy and if BMW motors are that shorty they can't take 12psi without breaking they should just shut down I met the guy looked at his car he told me about it and then told me about another guy with a similar set up in Europe have any of you even tried any of this? Or you just assume because one person before you in a different t thread said it wouldn't work so you think it would work and as for the cast rod bending doesn't happen a cast rod breaks before it bends

Old 06-20-2017, 04:11 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Quote:
Stock dsm turbos push 20psi easy and if BMW motors are that shorty they can't take 12psi without breaking they should just shut down I met the guy looked at his car he told me about it and then told me about another guy with a similar set up in Europe have any of you even tried any of this? Or you just assume because one person before you in a different t thread said it wouldn't work so you think it would work and as for the cast rod bending doesn't happen a cast rod breaks before it bends

M52 and M54 cannot take that much pressure on stock internals. They aren't built for it.
That's just a fact.

Now if we talk about the N54.. that can handle 38psi on stock internals np. But that's a different story for a different time.

SPD owns a supercharged 330ci ZHP. He knows A LOT about boosting a E46 LOL.
And I've built numerous E46's including one of my own boosted as well.

We've been around for a long time on these forums and have been building BMWs for many many years.

And no cast rods bend all the time AND they break in pieces ALL the time. However forged rods will bend and not break into pieces more often.
I've bent rods and blown motors on different occasions pushing the limits. Or having catastrophic failure from bad design.

Fact of the matter is. Your arguing about a ghost car with no actual proof and or data to back it up.

Do a quick google search of my username or SPD's. You'll see our builds.

TheMalibuMafia.com

Old 06-21-2017, 05:16 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

I give up.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:11 AM

So what you're saying is you have a boosted e46 but you've never actually tried to boost one without building it

Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330ci MT
Why are you trolling? These people here are BMW enthusiasts, why would anybody steer you in the wrong direction?

I bet your buddy blowing smoke in your ear has a genuine Borla exhaust imported from China.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:25 AM
TheMalibuMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330low View Post
Why are you trolling? These people here are BMW enthusiasts, why would anybody steer you in the wrong direction?

I bet your buddy blowing smoke in your ear has a genuine Borla exhaust imported from China.

TheMalibuMafia.com

Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 330ci MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Hey,

Read your thread on the monster turbo you put in. Sweet bimmer
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM
TheMalibuMafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330low View Post
Hey,

Read your thread on the monster turbo you put in. Sweet bimmer
Thanks man! much appreicated.

TheMalibuMafia.com

Old 06-21-2017, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
Here is a different way of explaining it all.

A turbo motor has lower compression when made to allow for a boosted usage.

Aka 8:1 or 8.5:1 and sometimes 9:1.

A normal modern injected NON turbo motor is 9:1 or 9.5:1.

The higher the compression the more power without being boosted with a turbo or supercharger.

The laws of physics in the matter say the higher the compression the easier to get spark knock and other fun problems.

Again keeping it simple.

So to keep a turbo motor "driveable" the manufactures start out with a lower compression engine then add boost. The allows for more power further up the rpm range where the spark knock and other problems are not as hard to deal with as they would be "off the line" at low rpms.

The problem with this setup is you end up with turbo lag being more evident. The comes from the compression not being there to give you power when you first hit the gas at low rpm's.

Using a low boost setup like I did on 300zx that was not a turbo motor I avoided any real turbo lag but the small boost made a huge difference on the mid to upper rpm range. So I had fun without issues.

If I had of run that same turbo setup with full boost of say 12 psi or more in place of the 8 psi I went with I would of blown the pistons slap out of that non turbo motor or headgaskets etc.

I had it easy doing the turbo on the 300zx since I just used the factory turbo setup from a turbo 300zx. Has to be the easiest turbo upgrade known to man to be honest and I did it for $100. That's all the junkyard charged me to let me rip all of that off a wrecked 300zx.

But it allowed me to see the effects of turboing a non turbo motor first hand with all kinds of cheap tinkering too.

Though I have seen it done before. It wasn't pretty. Well as a spectator it actually was pretty cool looking. Lots of smoke and lots of oil with some shrapnel thrown in to boot.

If you still don't believe us then go look at the boost values for kits available to people willing to spend real money on the bmw's.

Those $5000 and up kits are doing 6 to 8 psi boost and that's with methanol injection to keep it from detonating like mad. So how can someone slap in 12psi or whatever on a stock non turbo motor like he's claiming and it be driveable?

Last edited by crowz; 06-21-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Change 20 psi to 12 psi I thought he was saying 20. I read too many forums per day

I went back and edited it

Last edited by crowz; 06-21-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM

That's the one nice thing about diesels. Its not how much boost you can get its how much power are you brave enough to make

When I got into the diesel performance stuff I couldn't believe the difference of gas vs diesel turbo setups.

The gassers its like "can I do this small thing without killing the motor".

The diesel its like "I wonder if that's last 20 psi I added will do the transmission in this time or twist the driveshaft out AGAIN"
Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
That's the one nice thing about diesels. Its not how much boost you can get its how much power are you brave enough to make

When I got into the diesel performance stuff I couldn't believe the difference of gas vs diesel turbo setups.

The gassers its like "can I do this small thing without killing the motor".

The diesel its like "I wonder if that's last 20 psi I added will do the transmission in this time or twist the driveshaft out AGAIN"
You aren't kidding. I watched a modded F-250 land yacht scream down the 1/4-mile strip in a hair over 11 seconds.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search