Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto:
KBB is a reality check. 2013 528, xdrive, 46k miles, great condition, aftermarket wheels. Some goodies, not as many options. 20k value.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
So I read over this and I have to say that as an adjuster (I'm licensed however I no longer practice) the car isn't priced at KBB. Insurance companies don't look nor car abt KBB or Black book or anything. It's abt ACV and most of the time AMOs don't matter either. I've worked for Chubb, SF, and Geico all were the same. Most insurance companies won't total it out until the damages have reached 75% of the ACV.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Ridin' the wingless plane

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FünferBMW View Post
So I read over this and I have to say that as an adjuster (I'm licensed however I no longer practice) the car isn't priced at KBB. Insurance companies don't look nor car abt KBB or Black book or anything. It's abt ACV and most of the time AMOs don't matter either. I've worked for Chubb, SF, and Geico all were the same. Most insurance companies won't total it out until the damages have reached 75% of the ACV.

Appreciate the professional input, but I'm not sure what those TLAs are. Can you translate the acronyms please?

2001 330xi
2001 540iA Nav/DSP/Cold Weather/Sport
2008 550i Cold Weather/Sport/Auto/Comfort/Sunshades/Heated Rear Seats/High Beam Assist/Lane Departure/Nav/HUD
2009 335i x-drive
2010 550i GT - Cold/Lane Departure/Nav/HUD/Power seats, back and trunk
Old 06-18-2017, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8s 330xi View Post
Appreciate the professional input, but I'm not sure what those TLAs are. Can you translate the acronyms please?

ACV is actual cash value, AMO is after market options

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-18-2017, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: E85 500whp DC5, 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by FünferBMW View Post

How would I find out my cars ACV??

I feel like it would be a really low number compared to retail.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:38 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5 Kracker View Post
How would I find out my cars ACV??

I feel like it would be a really low number compared to retail.
Try to sell it to a crack dealer!

Sorry, couldn't resist...I'll go away now.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto:
http://www.miniwebtool.com/actual-ca...000&n2=4&n3=10

Old 06-19-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Try to sell it to a crack dealer!

Sorry, couldn't resist...I'll go away now.
Lol.

Over $16k now!! So, she's gone.

Now, need to know what the ACV is. I used the calculator in the link above, but idk how many years a car is "expected" to be had.

Did find another 5'er that was what I wanted in the first place! Long as insurance don't screw me over, I should break even or come out a few hundred ahead.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 PM
2014 F10 535d

Mein Auto: 2014 535d MSport
A good insurance company will take into account market comps in your area, and some states actually require this (consumer protection). They will go with the lowest average they can get to, but still, it makes it a bit more fair for the consumer, since the replacement cost is ultimately what you could go out and buy that exact car for in the moment before your accident. Check your state's insurance commission rules, and I'd even give them a call. In Maryland, they police the insurance companies closely on things like this.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejrobert View Post
A good insurance company will take into account market comps in your area, and some states actually require this (consumer protection). They will go with the lowest average they can get to, but still, it makes it a bit more fair for the consumer, since the replacement cost is ultimately what you could go out and buy that exact car for in the moment before your accident. Check your state's insurance commission rules, and I'd even give them a call. In Maryland, they police the insurance companies closely on things like this.
Did a little digging, nothing much, but comps in my area are right in the $19.5k range. I would be happy with 19k.

WHAT IS "A FAIR MARKET VALUE"??

(G) For purposes of this section, a "wrecked vehicle", a "salvage vehicle", and a "vehicle declared to be a total loss" are all synonyms and are defined to be any motor vehicle which is damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the motor vehicle, including both parts and reasonable market charges for labor, equal or exceed seventy-five percent of the fair market value of the motor vehicle. The provisions contained in this section do not apply to a motor vehicle that has a fair market value of two thousand dollars or less, or an antique motor vehicle as defined by Section 56-3-2210. When an insurance company is involved, the fair market value of the vehicle must be determined as of the date immediately before the event which gave rise to the claim. When an insurance company is not involved, then the fair market value must be determined as of the last day on which the vehicle was lawfully operated on a public highway or the last day on which it was registered, whichever is later.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
I was an appraiser for an insurance company and now have managed a claim center for a few years now. They will look at comparables in your area with the options you have. If they can't find anything then they will either call around to local BMW dealerships for a price or they will extend the compatible search area to 100 miles. Whatever they offer you make sure that you look at kbb.com and nada.com and see what they have you vehicle priced at. Look at the retail price and then average the two prices together then add local sales tax ontop of that. Aftermarket items don't add value to your vehicle as they are preference items unless they are items like remote start, alloy wheels, etc... I'd be more than happy to help anyway I can.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 06-23-2017, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 530i Sport-Sold
I thought they always used NADA not KBB?
Old 06-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Normally an insurance company will use comparables in the area and not use any online guides

Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyamed View Post
Normally an insurance company will use comparables in the area and not use any online guides

He used his own...came in at just a hair under $21k. I'll take it!!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535I M Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyamed View Post

He's absolutely correct. My friend is an insurance agent and if youre not cheap on insurance and have a reputable company they don't look at KBB they look at the value it will cost to get you back into the same vehicle depending on reasonable distance.

I had an Acura 2009 TLX SH AWD and a similar accident, the insurance company refused to total it. I had $17k worth of damage with 21k left on the loan, they didn't total it because to replace my car they would have had to pay me more than I originally paid for the car 2 years ago. There was only 2 available at the time within 50 miles and they were expensive, close to $30k. I got stuck with the car and it just never felt the same in handling when i would go on canyon runs. Ended up giving it to carmax for a $1500 loss.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:37 PM

It really all depends on the comparables that they use. Sometimes there are really low ones. I also refer to nada and kbb as a guide to see if I'm getting a good deal.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search