Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 10-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 650i GC 2010 Maserat
Seat rattle

Thanks for posting the video. I have the same rattle coming from my passenger seat. I have brought the car to the dealership on a couple occasions and they have made adjustments, but no real improvement. Earlier, my driver's seat made more of clunk sound with a slight movement of the base of the seat over rough spots on the road. After two attempts to adjust it, they replaced the "seat pan" and rails and now it is finally quiet and secure.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:23 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F06
I've got the same problem with my passenger seat. Not bad enough yet to do a service visit on its own, but I'll mention it when it does go in.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: M6 GC
I don't have the rattle but my empty passenger seat squeezes at low speeds
Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
I had the same problem with my passenger seat and requested that the foreman take a ride with me after they kept saying there couldn't verify the noise. I had him ride in the back on the passenger side. He confirmed the noise and noticed the upper portion (Seat Back) would rattle when going over bumps. They pulled out the seat and tighten up where the seat back and lower seat meet according to their explanation. The noise is now gone. Food for thought.

I good test to see if you have the same noise is to have someone ride in the back on the passenger side and have them put pressure on the seat back so it can't move, i.e. pull back on it, and see if the noise goes away when driving.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 640D Grand Coup M Sport
The car is back in today. The service manager saw & heard the issue today. "Oh dear, I see the problem, oh my" or something along these lines were his comments. He again mentioned that BMW will only supply spare parts for a chair. They won't supply a complete chair. So they could order every single component for a chair & build it. My worry is that a chair built from parts might rattle as bad. They might also be able to get a hold of a 2016 front passenger chair in one of the dealers other cars to try. I will keep you posted. Here is hoping they can fix.

Last edited by spidmack; 11-01-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW GC M-Sport
Good to post the video. Mine was exactly the same and the dealer replaced the seat rails (not the seat). It did fix the main issue. Apparently BMW is aware of the problem because my service advisor knew exactly what I was referring to because there is a service bulletin...based on my understanding. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidmack View Post
Hi My car is a 2014 6 Series M Sport Grand Coupe.I bought it new in 2014. Since the car was 3 days old I have an issue with the front passenger seat. The car has been in 6 times to try to fix the issue. Mechanics have advised that this is a problem they have seen on other 6 series cars. My car is fitted with the optional "comfort seats"

The problem occurs just on the front passenger seat when it is empty. It also will not happen if the seat is at the very lowest settings. Any other height it rattles. Moving any other parts doesn't make a difference

The problem is that the seat rattles when I drive over undulating surfaces. It appears there is too much movement in the seat. BMW produced a PUMA fix for this however it has made no difference. As I say the car has been in 6 times to get the issue fixed. My dealer as helpful as they are have not been abel to fix the issue. Each time the car has been in to the dealer for a number of days. At best the mechanic managed to slightly reduce the rattle for a day however after a couple of days it was back as bad as ever. All the loan cars (none were 6 series) I drove gave no issues driving over the same roads.

I have even gone so far as creating a video which I have posted here. If this looks like the same issue & it's been fixed in yours I will again ask for a seat. At the moment I'm at the stage of rejecting the car as it's never been OK. Maybe they will reconsider and get a seat and rail if the same issue was fixed on yours.
Here is a link to the video..
Old 11-09-2016, 04:30 PM

I'm very pleased to report that the annoying rattle has gone. My dealer had the car for 4 days. A master tech and the workshop manager spent many hours on the car. No parts were replaced and it was a matter of very careful adjustments on the rails. They also checked that the BMW PUMA repair was applied correctly. That was the seventh time the car was in for this problem and on no other time has the car seat remained as quiet while I drive over a bump. Almost a week has passed and it's still OK. Sure it would have been great to have had this fix done 3 days after I got the car however credit to my dealer and their master tech for taking the time / effort to finally fix it. Woohoo!
Old 11-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 M
Ask the dealer to replace the sit frame..
Old 11-10-2016, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycao216 View Post
Ask the dealer to replace the sit frame..
Hi my dealer took a comfort seat out of their own 2016 cars and it had the same issue. They also tried a standard seat. Both had the same problem. The 2016 comfort seat was the worst.

In the end they managed to make adjustments to my seat & the issue has gone. So no need for a seat frame. That said I think as the issue is a known issue replacing the seat frame probably would not of helped. What the dealer advises has fixed it was adjustments + the BMW PUMA fix rather than new seat parts.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoo98 View Post
I had the same problem with my passenger seat and requested that the foreman take a ride with me after they kept saying there couldn't verify the noise. I had him ride in the back on the passenger side. He confirmed the noise and noticed the upper portion (Seat Back) would rattle when going over bumps. They pulled out the seat and tighten up where the seat back and lower seat meet according to their explanation. The noise is now gone. Food for thought.

I good test to see if you have the same noise is to have someone ride in the back on the passenger side and have them put pressure on the seat back so it can't move, i.e. pull back on it, and see if the noise goes away when driving.
My noise has returned.....my next service visit I'll ask them to check the PUMA and SIB cases for a fix. If anyone has any SIB or PUMA numbers from their invoice that they can share it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: 640i GC xdrive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoo98 View Post
My noise has returned.....my next service visit I'll ask them to check the PUMA and SIB cases for a fix. If anyone has any SIB or PUMA numbers from their invoice that they can share it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hello,
I'm new in this forum. I'm from Spain.
I own a 2014 640i GC xdrive M Sport with comfort seats.
I have the same problem with the passenger's seat (and i supose if we weren't sit on the driver's seat while driving, it would rattle the same).
In my case, the noise comes clearly from the movement of the back part of the seat when driving over rough pavement.
Do you have any news? Did you get the problem fixed?.

Thank you very much in advance

Last edited by Regomellor; 02-03-2017 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:03 AM

Bump
Old 02-27-2017, 01:21 AM

Up
Old 04-09-2017, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
Same problem here......2014 650i GC. This is not a seat belt rattle, this is the empty passenger seat shuddering when going over a rough road, wash board, pot hole, what have you. It is as if the rails are not bolted tight to the floor. Anyway, I am not very encouraged by what I am reading here about dealership experiences. I'll wait till next regular service needed before I risk having new problems introduced by the dealership. Maybe I should put a 50 lb. bag of sand in the passenger seat to settle it down......or better yet one of those life-like female dolls?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 PM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FudgeFlyer View Post
....or better yet one of those life-like female dolls?
Useful for HOV lanes too!
Old 04-11-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
Useful for HOV lanes too!
LOL....that is big $$$ trouble here in San Diego County.....but tempting.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:44 AM

I stuffed a micro-fiber rag, folded over several times, in the crevice between the passenger seat and the seat back.....shudder has disappeared......for the time being.....weird.

Thanks to whomever it was in the thread that mentioned this as a possible source of the problem.

VR
Old 06-19-2017, 08:20 AM
former motorcycle rider

I tried the rag in the seat trick, and it worked for a few days and then the rattle returned. I had the car in for the oil service and an iDrive issue, so I said, hey, while you've got it, look into the seat rattle too. They determined that there is a TSB on a hinge washer (?) so they ordered the "kit" which was missing the part, so they did it again and finally after 8 days it was fixed!

Yeah!

After a week, it was back. And the iDrive went wacky again. I traded in the car on Saturday for a Chevy.

If anyone needs that TSB number, I'll look it up.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: M6 GC
My M6 GC 2014 is in again for the 5th time, this time at a different dealer and they have located the Tech Service Bulletin for the squeezy passenger seat. I am hope this fixes it. Will keep you guys posted
Old 06-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I tried the rag in the seat trick, and it worked for a few days and then the rattle returned. I had the car in for the oil service and an iDrive issue, so I said, hey, while you've got it, look into the seat rattle too. They determined that there is a TSB on a hinge washer (?) so they ordered the "kit" which was missing the part, so they did it again and finally after 8 days it was fixed!

Yeah!

After a week, it was back. And the iDrive went wacky again. I traded in the car on Saturday for a Chevy.

If anyone needs that TSB number, I'll look it up.
I'd appreciate having that TSB number so I could ask about it next time I need to take the car in for service. Like you experienced I still get the shudder from time to time even though the rag stuffed between the seat and the backrest has helped to keep the shudder to a minimum. Sure like the car.......hope I don't have to trade it in for Chevy. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:31 PM
former motorcycle rider

This is what was on the RO: Defect Code: 52 10 03 31 00 Labor Code: 52 99 000 52 17 005

It's all Greek to me, hope it helps.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
This is what was on the RO: Defect Code: 52 10 03 31 00 Labor Code: 52 99 000 52 17 005

It's all Greek to me, hope it helps.
Hey BG,

I sure appreciate your going to the trouble to find that RO info. I've printed it out and will keep it in the glove box until our first visit to a dealer for service. Bought our car back in March and haven't needed service yet. Based on your experience, and others, I won't get my hopes up too high nor will we rush down to have the seat shudder 'fixed'. I do hope I remember to mention to the dealer that no one on this forum claims to have had a lasting repair.

Thanks again!

VR
Escondido, CA

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
Today's Posts Search