Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i 2005
winkfp MSV70 ZB switching branch update advices

Hi all,

I am newbie here as just bought a E90 330i 2005 N52 and unfortunately the car got MSV70 DME failure
(2AB2 DME Internal RAM ERROR, crank but no start when car is hot, crank and start and runs well when it take a rest over 30 minutes or more and then symptom starts again...)

So I have done so many hardware fixes (crank position sensor, vacuum leak, O2 sensor, voltage drop test etc) before it comes to DME replacement.

Since DME replacement is out of my ability before I dig deeper in this forum, thanks guy this forum is super informative.

One of the local auto-shop has helped me to replace the RMFD DME and do coding afterward as i was told that the old DME is unable to read the data out, so they need to do a coding instead of cloning.

After the DME replacement, car can start no matter hot or code, it's great, however, the gas mileage drops from 10km/L to 8km/L, which is quite a lot i think.

Also I found that the exhaust sound is far louder than before, and I suspect that the exhaust butterfly valve does not close when under 3000rpm, so making it so "noisy"(actually i love the sound), but i understand it ruin my back pressure and making my low-end torque very very bad at the moment, now like a granny's car.

Then I shifted my focus to the DME software loaded in my replaced DME as there is no hardware change during the DME replacement(or i will check if vacuum leak on the exhaust valve solenoid later).

Before my DME got replaced, lucky I have done some scanning via INPA and got the original file(at least the configuration I feel good)

ZB:7568990
Click image for larger version

Name:	original_zb_info.png
Views:	28
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	601214

and checking the KMM and MSV70.HIS,
in line 394: 7568990,7581300,01,34 <-- which means this file can be upgraded to 7581300 (please correct me if i am wrong)

Name:	target-zb.png
Views:	25
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	601216

and inside SP_DATEN_v53.3 the e89/kmmData/kmm_SG.txt i found a row with
+G;1;373097;A;DME_2K0_N52__6Z_MSV70_B30
and contains 7581300, and good that it's indicating N52 B30 engine with probably _2K0_ variant(i guess...)

Name:	kmm-targetzb.png
Views:	24
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	601215

----

then i try to read the current zb via INPA after DME replacement, i got:
ZB#: 7581278

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 9.44.23 AM.png
Views:	23
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	601219

and there is no upgrade path using winkfp to check:

Name:	winkfp_updatepath_current.png
Views:	19
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	601220

and strange that this ZB is located inside E65/kmmData/ (E65 is for 7-series) folder instead of E89 folder, and it's also for B30 engine probably different variant, while I have no idea how to identify which version i should use if I lose my original INPA scanned result.

Name:	kmm-currentzb.png
Views:	19
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	601217

so my plan is to flash the DME to a more "suitable" ZB version 7581300 via winkfp with Comfort mode -> Choose ZB myself, and the enter VIN.

and since it's the first time I ever touch with winkfp, and also doing DME branch switching, instead of normally the update DME ZB approach, highly appreciate if someone could give me confident to do this, while i have been researching the net quite a bit time with following procedure:

1) will get a 13.8V 70A battery maintainer for coding use and connect to car before doing any coding/flashing
2) plugin the K+DCAN cable and open winkfp, turn on ignition,
3) import all the files inside e89 folder (sgdata, ecu, data)
4) my winkfp configuration:

Name:	winkfp_configuration.png
Views:	20
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	601225
5) comfort mode + choose ZUSB and find MSV70 -> 7581300, then the screen will shown

Name:	winkfp_custom_enter_zb.png
Views:	20
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	601221

====== the following step is uncertain as I didn't click any afterward.
6) click program and then click OK to do,
7) do a ERROR CODE CLEAR, and then adaptation reset.

so my question is,
- is the above procedure proper enough?
- since I am switching the branch of DME ZB, will that I require to do also CAS+EWS realignment job?
- is that still able to flash back to the old one if the DME is bricked?

Thanks all for the time, and really appreciate if someone can leave me some advices.

I love this car, just don't want to brick it with any of my careless mistakes.

Cheers
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2017, 06:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeukfung View Post
so my question is,
- is the above procedure proper enough?
- since I am switching the branch of DME ZB, will that I require to do also CAS+EWS realignment job?
- is that still able to flash back to the old one if the DME is bricked?

Process looks right. You'll need to enter the VIN after selecting your flash #.

I don't believe do but I'd be prepared to just in case.

If the DME is really bricked (ie power loss during flash, cable disconnected during flash, etc) then it's hard to recover. You may be able to do it via NFS but its a slim chance.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Process looks right. You'll need to enter the VIN after selecting your flash #.

I don't believe do but I'd be prepared to just in case.

If the DME is really bricked (ie power loss during flash, cable disconnected during flash, etc) then it's hard to recover. You may be able to do it via NFS but its a slim chance.
Thanks a lot for your comment and notice on VIN#, I will start working on it once my battery maintainer arrives and update any result on this "scary" project :-)

For the CAS+EWS realignment job, just want to double confirm it can be done in INPA, right?

so the situation is, when crank but no start, and reading error code says EWS error with CAS, then go to use INPA to do alignment, am I correct? and any chance that it cannot align correctly?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your comment and notice on VIN#, I will start working on it once my battery maintainer arrives and update any result on this "scary" project :-)

For the CAS+EWS realignment job, just want to double confirm it can be done in INPA, right?

so the situation is, when crank but no start, and reading error code says EWS error with CAS, then go to use INPA to do alignment, am I correct? and any chance that it cannot align correctly?

Thanks in advance.
Yes in INPA. I would also have a copy of ISTA ready to use because your version of INPA may not have the correct scripts to run the alignment job.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 06-19-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yes in INPA. I would also have a copy of ISTA ready to use because your version of INPA may not have the correct scripts to run the alignment job.

Thanks a lot for the direction, I am downloading the ISTA 4.0.x via BT, over 120Gb, which takes some time, while I found that ISTA support many different types of interface,
e.g.
ICOM A2, A3, Next
K+DCAN
ENET

I have no experience on ISTA, i only have K+DCAN cable, is that enough to do the EWS/CAS alignment for my current situation?
Old 06-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the direction, I am downloading the ISTA 4.0.x via BT, over 120Gb, which takes some time, while I found that ISTA support many different types of interface,
e.g.
ICOM A2, A3, Next
K+DCAN
ENET

I have no experience on ISTA, i only have K+DCAN cable, is that enough to do the EWS/CAS alignment for my current situation?
Yes if you have the proper INPA setup. Your cable will work with ISTA as well but you need an emulator

Old 06-21-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Yes if you have the proper INPA setup. Your cable will work with ISTA as well but you need an emulator
Thanks for your info, I believe you are referring to this emulator, right?

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 8.13.03 PM.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	601561

wondering if there is any limitation/difference on the ICOM emulator than using a physical ICOM device?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
dme problem, dme/ews, msv70

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search