Fluttering noise on E 93 335i convertible? - Page 46 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Folks I am looking at purchasing a 2008 335i convertible and the first time I test drove it I immediately noticed the buffeting/fluttering noise. I mentioned it to the salesperson and he didn't seem to notice it (non BMW dealer). I really like the car and I am trying to see if they will try to get the issue resolved before I buy it, and they have been pushing back. I don't want to get stuck with car which cannot be fixed by the SIB. I will appreciate your suggestions.
Print out the SIB that was posted much earlier in this thread. Take it with you to the dealer and tell them that if they take the car to the local BMW dealer and have the SIB performed on the car, you are interested in purchasing the car provided the SIB fixes the fluttering. Otherwise, walk away from the transaction. If the fluttering is objectionable to you after one test drive, imagine what the experience would be like each time you drove the car....
Old 02-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Print out the SIB that was posted much earlier in this thread. Take it with you to the dealer and tell them that if they take the car to the local BMW dealer and have the SIB performed on the car, you are interested in purchasing the car provided the SIB fixes the fluttering. Otherwise, walk away from the transaction. If the fluttering is objectionable to you after one test drive, imagine what the experience would be like each time you drove the car....
Can't seem to find the SIB, the links I checked are now broken. Can someone send the new link (s) to the SIB, thanks
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Hi was wondering if all of you guys could help me out.. I know this is an OLD thread, however I joined this forum in search of an opinion.
Living in Toronto. Considering purchasing a 2011 335 convertible... 10k miles on it.. anyways, did a car proof and found out it is a buy back lemon... it is still under factory warranty and the dealer (not bmw) told me it was from the fluttering noise.. and said they had fixed it with the foam, etc. I haven't been in to test drive the car yet but will this week.. the title has a stigma, so I understand from a resale why not to buy it but I usually keep cars long anyways, if not keep them forever. . . so do you think it the fluttering noise is not apparent that I should go through with purchasing it? LET ME KNOW!! after reading almost every page on this topic... a lot of you are pretty knowledgable on this subject. PS the reason AM considering it is because of the color combo, and options.. white on red with bamboo, m package, premium, cold weather, navi, etc
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones88 View Post
Hi was wondering if all of you guys could help me out.. I know this is an OLD thread, however I joined this forum in search of an opinion.
Living in Toronto. Considering purchasing a 2011 335 convertible... 10k miles on it.. anyways, did a car proof and found out it is a buy back lemon... it is still under factory warranty and the dealer (not bmw) told me it was from the fluttering noise.. and said they had fixed it with the foam, etc. I haven't been in to test drive the car yet but will this week.. the title has a stigma, so I understand from a resale why not to buy it but I usually keep cars long anyways, if not keep them forever. . . so do you think it the fluttering noise is not apparent that I should go through with purchasing it? LET ME KNOW!! after reading almost every page on this topic... a lot of you are pretty knowledgable on this subject. PS the reason AM considering it is because of the color combo, and options.. white on red with bamboo, m package, premium, cold weather, navi, etc
2011 335 with fluttering - that is a new one. Fluttering was supposed to have been banished with the LCI E93s. As you mentioned, Lemon Law buyback title really hits resale value. Conversely, if you buy and hold, it can be a real benefit price-wise to you. Factory warranty won't get you to a repurchase, as that is a one-time benefit. If anything else fails repeatedly, you are stuck taking the car in every time there is a failure.

If you still want the car, be real careful checking for the fluttering. In my ex-E93, the fluttering was most apparent when the car had the Bridgestone run-flat tires. When I fitted the non-RFT Michelins, the fluttering was almost imperceptible. Take the car for a test drive without the sales rep so they aren't chattering away and hindering your ability to sense the fluttering. If the car still flutters, one possible remedy that involves keeping the RFTs is to switch the Bridgestones for Michelin RFTs. The Michelin RFTs use softer rubber and may therefor be less prone to the resonance that causes the fluttering.

It is a crapshoot, however. IMO, if there is even a hint of fluttering, I would pass on the car unless the dealer is willing to do tire swaps to cure the flutter. And even with a promise of a tire swap, don't buy the car unless the tire swap cures the flutter. Don't think you could learn to live with the flutter. If there is a flutter, it will always be there, and you will grow to hate the car.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
2011 335 with fluttering - that is a new one. Fluttering was supposed to have been banished with the LCI E93s. As you mentioned, Lemon Law buyback title really hits resale value. Conversely, if you buy and hold, it can be a real benefit price-wise to you. Factory warranty won't get you to a repurchase, as that is a one-time benefit. If anything else fails repeatedly, you are stuck taking the car in every time there is a failure.

If you still want the car, be real careful checking for the fluttering. In my ex-E93, the fluttering was most apparent when the car had the Bridgestone run-flat tires. When I fitted the non-RFT Michelins, the fluttering was almost imperceptible. Take the car for a test drive without the sales rep so they aren't chattering away and hindering your ability to sense the fluttering. If the car still flutters, one possible remedy that involves keeping the RFTs is to switch the Bridgestones for Michelin RFTs. The Michelin RFTs use softer rubber and may therefor be less prone to the resonance that causes the fluttering.

It is a crapshoot, however. IMO, if there is even a hint of fluttering, I would pass on the car unless the dealer is willing to do tire swaps to cure the flutter. And even with a promise of a tire swap, don't buy the car unless the tire swap cures the flutter. Don't think you could learn to live with the flutter. If there is a flutter, it will always be there, and you will grow to hate the car.

Hope this helps.

Thanks that actually does help a lot.. as for price.. I don't know how much of a "discount" it is really at.. it's being sold for $50,500 Canadian. Shouldn't it be at least 5-10k lower? It has 10k miles on it.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: Lexus GS460
Our '08 335 was largely cured once the SB was completed. If the speed is held at a very constant 55 mph, there is still a slight hint of the issue. We still have the RFTs and I'm not sure I would consider swapping since there is no way to get even a compact spare in the "boot". Having been down that road with Lex and experiencing a "SOL" flat tire, I'm a big fan of spares and now carry one with non RFTs in that car. If the 2011 being considered has not had the SB and is eligible, I would get that performed before making a final decision. We bought our 335 at CarMax and they happened to be right next door to BMW dealer, so they took over and had the work done. We held the car with a refundable deposit and all worked out well. Good luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones88 View Post
Thanks that actually does help a lot.. as for price.. I don't know how much of a "discount" it is really at.. it's being sold for $50,500 Canadian. Shouldn't it be at least 5-10k lower? It has 10k miles on it.
I don't know what the market is in your area. Maybe ask in the dealer section of BF? Or PM one of the fest sponsors.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 17Outback
That is what the dealer is ASKING not what he will get for certain since it is an 11 model.
I would do some more research using Autotrader and see what those are asking for 11 models.
For what it is worth I had the SB done but never had the issue anyway until my RFTs were down to a small margin 4/32". That is what caused the so called flutter energy transmitted through the pan.
Once I put new tires on with the SB I get a slight "flutter" between 57-60 mph. So what this is a convertible and the level is not much of an issue. I am running Michelin RFT Primacy and they are actually much quieter than my Pilot Sports (the reason I changed them is to get a quieter tire which this is).

Canadian and US dollar are pretty much the same value so running Autotrader the average asking was 43K, high 62K and low 29K. This was for a 335 convertible 2011. To be honest I think the asking price is about right at 43K...
Hope this helps...
Old 05-06-2013, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i, 2004 C4S Cab.
Quote:
Any particular reason you didn't pursue a lemon law remedy?
Hey, realize it's an awfully late reply, but I was just checking out the forum and saw that this thread had come back to life. To answer you, I did, and was ultimately successful. It took quite a while to:

A: Contact a good lemon law attorney; the first one I spoke with reviewed everything and said "i'll take your case", then vanished (I got the impression he spent a lot of time partying aboard a boat he owned). The second firm I spoke with, many months later, turned out to be top notch.
B: See the case move through the attorneys: roughly a year in my case.

FWIW, there's a fellow on this thread saying that the problem happened exclusively with AT cars; NOT TRUE: Mine was a 6MT and had the problem, and the "fluttering" SIB describes a fix for both AT and MT vehicles, with an added step for AT vehicles.

I'm still fond of the cars, if not BMWNA based on how they communicated/dealt with the situation initially; If a 3 series diesel wagon becomes available soon, we'd look into a Euro Delivery for it. Otherwise the forthcoming Q5 diesel, via ED, is a current contender for us (too bad Audi's U.S. color choices essentially run the entire range from dull to boring (white, greyish, black)).
2013 VW Tiguan

Current:
2014 Audi Q5 TDI

Last edited by MrDavid; 02-23-2014 at 02:24 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search