Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08' 335i
well i just took my car into the dealer for the third time and now they said they need the car for the rest of the day and i will recieve it tomm. the rental car a ****ing VW Beetle haha F that so i got the 328i for $30 more. Anyways i will tell you what happend when i get my car back and if the problem was fixed... HOPEFULLY I dont have to go back. I dread going to the BMW dealerships now, if im not buying a car.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi
I have the same issue , what's the problem . Do I brakes needed to be changed ?
Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*

Mein Auto: e92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown View Post
well i just took my car into the dealer for the third time and now they said they need the car for the rest of the day and i will recieve it tomm. the rental car a ****ing VW Beetle haha F that so i got the 328i for $30 more. Anyways i will tell you what happend when i get my car back and if the problem was fixed... HOPEFULLY I dont have to go back. I dread going to the BMW dealerships now, if im not buying a car.
They charged you for a damn loaner??? I would've taken the Beetle and dressed like a hippie all day.

*Butter Pecan Papi*
e92 335i
e90 330i (Sold)
e46 323i
e34 530i (Sold)

BMW Car Club of America - National Capital Chapter
Old 06-13-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Pecan View Post
They charged you for a damn loaner??? I would've taken the Beetle and dressed like a hippie all day.
Yea i know huh those bastards but definetly i dont want to be seen in that beetle lol i rather take the neon but it wasnt available either.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 PM
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*

Mein Auto: e92 335i
Quote:
Yea i know huh those bastards but definetly i dont want to be seen in that beetle lol i rather take the neon but it wasnt available either.
Neon? Did you take it to an actual BMW dealer?

*Butter Pecan Papi*
e92 335i
e90 330i (Sold)
e46 323i
e34 530i (Sold)

BMW Car Club of America - National Capital Chapter
Old 06-13-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Pecan View Post
Neon? Did you take it to an actual BMW dealer?
Yes sir
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi
bumping this back to the top again. i'm still having very loud squeeks and i've been to a dealer twice about 2 months ago, still with no change. i finally called a dealer where i've moved to (carbone bmw, utica, NY) and he told me that there is nothing he could do because he wouldn't receive any compensation from bmw since brakes aren't under warranty unless they need to be replaced based on a mileage basis. this is really really frustrating and embarrassing to have my beautiful bmw squeeking like this. not the type of looks i like to get while driving it. has anybody found anything to help this?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan510 View Post
bumping this back to the top again. i'm still having very loud squeeks and i've been to a dealer twice about 2 months ago, still with no change. i finally called a dealer where i've moved to (carbone bmw, utica, NY) and he told me that there is nothing he could do because he wouldn't receive any compensation from bmw since brakes aren't under warranty unless they need to be replaced based on a mileage basis. this is really really frustrating and embarrassing to have my beautiful bmw squeeking like this. not the type of looks i like to get while driving it. has anybody found anything to help this?
I don't know what this problem is, but I'm glad I don't have it... yet.

On the dealer, do what I do on the rare occasion I get a response like that:

Dealer: "There's really nothing wrong, so we can't fix anything under warranty."
Me: "So BMW engineers design it to make an obnoxious squeeking sound."
Dealer: "Well, no. Not really."
Me: "So it's not working as designed."
Dealer: "That's not exactly true."
Me: "Would you show me where it says 'Obnoxious squeeking sound' on the standard features list? I know it wasn't an option that I paid for."
Dealer: "Really. It's not hurting anything."
Me: "Except my ears. What do you think I am going to say when I get that nice survey asking about my service experience?
Dealer: "Well. Maybe we can take a look at it if you can leave it for a few days?"
Me: In the meantime. I'll take your car and you can use mine until you fix it.

I actually got the owner of a dealership to trade cars with me once for something similar. Mine was fixed in less than 2 days.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
Squeak is driving me insane!

I didn't really notice any squeaking for the first 10 months. The last 3 months have just been agonizing. I guess since its summer, I've been driving with the windows down more, and maybe it didn't make the sound before, but it really is driving me nuts. As others have said on here, the sounds seems to be coming from the rear wheels and is at its worst when I'm accelerating from 10-20mph or turning at low speeds. It also seems to only happen after being in the car for 10 minutes or more, or once everything has had a chance to warm up. I've brought it to the dealer twice but both times the car had cooled down by the time they got to it and I got the dreaded 'cannot reproduce' answer. Oh well, I can't blame them for that. ANYWAY, I would LOVE to know what is causing this so I could try to fix it myself. It really is embarrassing, and not just because its a $50K car. If I was driving a buick through the parking lot with this unending squeak I would be bothered just as much. Knowing that my car is a year old is just icing on the annoyance cake...haha.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335
This started happening to mine recently actually. Low speeds while accelerating, squeek squeek squeek, in line with the speed of the car and not the engine, a little load seems to make it worse. I just figured something needed to be greased. I'm actually suprised to see others having the same problem.

Mine seems to come from the right rear as well.

It also does NOT seem to have anything to do with the brakes.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Airways 335

Mein Auto: BMW 335I Sedan
This happens on many cars, not just our 3's. It happened on my M roadster, happened on my friends VW, happens on my friends E46 M3, happens on my 335 - it happens on 911's. It's very embarrassing b/c no one would expect to hear that type of sound on a car that is in a bit of a higher range.. but it deals with bedding the brakes properly.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by upenndash8100 View Post
This happens on many cars, not just our 3's. It happened on my M roadster, happened on my friends VW, happens on my friends E46 M3, happens on my 335 - it happens on 911's. It's very embarrassing b/c no one would expect to hear that type of sound on a car that is in a bit of a higher range.. but it deals with bedding the brakes properly.
sorry to contradict you, but this is not a low speed brake application squeal.

this is a squealing that has nothing to do with brake bedding. this particular issue is a brake component that is dragging at low speeds, without the brakes being applied, resulting in a squealing noise.

cleaning the rear brake wear sensor and reseating it fixes the issue until brake dust builds up again. which usually happens in about 3K miles or so.

most dealerships do the shotgun approach of replacing pads and rotors, which fixes the problem, but it fixes the problem because the sensor is either reseated or replaced in the process.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Present: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL

Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi
my squeak only happens when i'm applying the brakes. if i press it down more than maybe 10% it happens. brought it to a dealer, they took it for the day, noticed it as soon as i left the parking lot and turned around to make another appointment. the second appointment comes, they take it again, i get a loaner for the day, and i notice it again that night. i would have kept going back but i was moving the next day and didn't have time. so just to clarify mine does not happen any other time, only when i'm applying more than about 10% pressure on the brakes.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
So far no one found a solution for this yet??? I have the same problem on my car.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJK View Post
I don't know what this problem is, but I'm glad I don't have it... yet.

On the dealer, do what I do on the rare occasion I get a response like that:

Dealer: "There's really nothing wrong, so we can't fix anything under warranty."
Me: "So BMW engineers design it to make an obnoxious squeeking sound."
Dealer: "Well, no. Not really."
Me: "So it's not working as designed."
Dealer: "That's not exactly true."
Me: "Would you show me where it says 'Obnoxious squeeking sound' on the standard features list? I know it wasn't an option that I paid for."
Dealer: "Really. It's not hurting anything."
Me: "Except my ears. What do you think I am going to say when I get that nice survey asking about my service experience?
Dealer: "Well. Maybe we can take a look at it if you can leave it for a few days?"
Me: In the meantime. I'll take your car and you can use mine until you fix it.
My brakes squeek slightly only when I am backing up. I have '06 330xi.
I had almost the exact conversation today with my dealer. I used the same line about "So it's not working as designed". The dealer said "No it's not designed like that, but there's nothing we can do". I said "Really?". He said "Yes, I can clean them but the squeek will return once the brake dust accumulates. I would recommend cleaning the dust out with the pressure washer." I decided not to push further, fearing the more they mess with the higher chance they will screw something up...
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: Honda Civic
I am having this same problem on my Honda Civic. I have only had the car for 4 months (9k miles). One day driving in my parking deck I noticed this squeak/squealing noise. It only happens when resuming from a complete stop. I started to think it might be parking brake related because I recently started parking on a hill. My problem only can be replicated after the car has warmed up as well. I had 4 people in my car this weekend and the squeak was extra loud when leaving the parking lot, but as soon as I reached about 40 mph it stops and will not start again until I stop( even then it does not happen every time). This problem is annoying and I do not really have the time to drop my car off at the dealer just so they can say they couldn't reproduce the sound. This thread is the only one I can find with the exact same problem I am having.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E92 M3
I have it too...and I can reproduce it while parked by pushing down the car....went to the dealer, they couldn't reproduce it..
Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Sathees ~ Tivu Empire

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Coupe
Squeaky Wheel Syndrome !!

I am actually experiencing the same problem when accelerating from a stop there is a squeaky noise coming from the front though.

(Manual Transmission 08 335i coupe)

It is getting really annoying. I actually called the dealership today and made an appointment for October 30th, 2008.

Will provide an update once the appointment is done.

2008 335i Coupe | Alpine White | Black Dakota Leather | Grain Grey Wood Trim | Sports Package | Navigation Package | Premium Package | 6 speed MT | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMW Performance Wheels Style 269 | M3 Spoiler | OEM Euro Lip |

Old 09-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Sedan
I had the same issue: brakes squeaking at low speeds when accelerating away from a stop.

The dealer replaced the rear brake discs and pads under warranty which fixed the problem at the time. Now, a few months and a couple thousand miles later the problem has come back, though it's not quite as loud.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2002; titanium 325 Cic
this might be just the way it is. volvos in the 90's always had the same problem. perhaps bmw is using the same brake manufacturer that volvo used back then....

you all might have to live with this

2002 convertible - 18 inch SSR GT3
Old 09-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M235i; 94 Mx5 R Pkg.
Quote:
Well I know there have been ALOT of threads on this "SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME" but really this problem is ever so annoying and I have yet to see a solution. Ive been to the dealership a couple of times and they kept saying it was the brakes... so they eventually(after going 2 or 3 times) just changed all four brakes with new ones (which didn't cost a dime. Ill give BMW that much). See, it seems most of the 3 series owners face this problem: when accelerating from a stop there is a squeaky noise coming from the rear and it only squeaks from 1-20 mph. With this kind of problem is there any chance of a recall or at least we can tell the appropriate people to get this problem resolved? Because when I bought a BMW car I expected BMW....
When I peeked into this thread I was initially going to ignore it. But, I too have a squeak in my 2007 335i. My squeak only occurs when I release the handbrake. The car rolls backwards an inch or two in my garage when I release the brake -- and that's when I hear it. I will try the "cleaning technique" outlined in the manual and report back here with the result.
ED#4: 3/17/14

2011 335i 6 SPD M-Sport CWP CA HK ETTE Laguna Blue
ED#3: 8/15/11

2011 X3 3.5 HK CWP
PCD#1: 2/11/11

2008 535Xit Slush Box Prem Sport HK CWP CA Monaco Blue
ED#2: 2/16/08

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566...ueFebruary2008

2007 335i 6 SPD Sport CWP HK CA ETTE Montego Blue
ED#1: 7/31/07

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566/335iEDAugust2007
Old 09-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 335i cpe
Unhappy this sucks

i have the same irritating problem. it is so lame driving on a crowded blvd with people around, roof open, windows down, so cal weather, and then you pull gently away from a light and "SSSSSQQQWWWEEEEEAAAAAKKKKKK". people look and their expressions say - how lame is that?
i will do the brake seating in procedure which i have used with success on other cars and i will try the hand brake trick.

the pivot and backing plate theories sound good because it is not squeaking when driving and braking. only when i start up from a stop, or park, and get out. if i put it in park, w/ no hand brake and push the car around and up and down, no noise. if i repeat that with the hand brake pulled it squeaks.
this sucks.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Well I know there have been ALOT of threads on this "SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME" but really this problem is ever so annoying and I have yet to see a solution. Ive been to the dealership a couple of times and they kept saying it was the brakes... so they eventually(after going 2 or 3 times) just changed all four brakes with new ones (which didnt cost a dime. Ill give BMW that much). See, it seems most of the 3 series owners face this problem: when accelerating from a stop there is a squeaky noise coming from the rear and it only squeaks from 1-20 mph. With this kind of problem is there any chance of a recall or at least we can tell the appropriate people to get this problem resolved? Because when I bought a BMW car I expected BMW....
I hope everyone here has followed the directions in the owners manual before logging a complaint here. Here's the text under the HANDBRAKE Section of the manual: "To prevent corrossion and one sided braking action, occassionally apply the handbrake lightly when the vehicle is slowly coming to a stop". This cured the slight squeek that I had on my 2007 335i.

2011 X3 3.5 HK CWP

Old 09-27-2008, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: M3
reading thru these post's it sounds like a few people have a few different problems.

On low speed squeek when accelerating, Bmw is aware of this problem but as of yet has not isolated the cause. Replacing the rear pads and rotors fixes this noise but is not a permanent fix. Most cars that exhibit this noise have bmw's "soft stop" feature which may be the root cause, i.e pad is hanging slightly on rotor, this is a educated guess on my part.
On a squeek when stopping, there are several causes. One being the condition based pad sensor is starting to rub(this sensor is large and starts to rub fairly early on as it monitors the pad wear). Replacing pads and sensor will fix this problem. It is also not a permanent fix, as soon as the sensor starts rubbing again the noise usually returns, bmw has not redesigned sensor for e90 yet.
Other squeeks can be from lack of lubrication on contact points or from outside debri.

Now squeeks that people are hearing from the car when getting out are from the parking brake. The parking brake can be adusted to minimize this noise but this is a noise that nearly all bmw's have, it is considered to an extent normal.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92.M3.S65 View Post
Now squeeks that people are hearing from the car when getting out are from the parking brake. The parking brake can be adusted to minimize this noise but this is a noise that nearly all bmw's have, it is considered to an extent normal.
Ok, this "normal" squeek is easily fixed by following the normal maintainance procedure stated above.

2011 X3 3.5 HK CWP

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search