Should BMW start a recall for the: THE SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME??? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-27-2008, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Yes following that procedure can fix the problem if it is "corrosion". You cannot fix worn or out of adjustment park brake pads by applying the park brake when coming to a stop, so for these cases you will need to adjust the parking brake.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E92 M3
it's not brake pads, or anything similar....

I can reproduce the sound with the car parked after a short drive and pushing it up and down....the sound comes only from the rear right side, and seems more like shock absorber sound...

has anyone else tried to push the car up and down and reproduce the sound after a short drive?
Old 10-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
I think i found the source of my low speed squeak. i have the same symptoms as everyone else.

its the brake wear sensor. its located on the right rear inboard brake pad.

I pulled the sensor and cleaned it with crc brake clean and the squeaking has gone away. the brake dust was really caked on around the wear point of the sensor, so i suspect the noise will be back.

the reason why replacing the pads works to fix the problem is because they usually replace or at the very least dislodge the sensor in order to replace the pads.

thats my theory anyway, but my car went from squeaking every time the brakes got warm to not at all.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Past: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Present: 2016 F34 335i xDrive ZCW/ZDA/ZDH/ZTP/ZMP/2V5/5DL

Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 10-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335 Cabriolet
Updates?

I've had this issue for the last 6 months or so on my 335 e93. Can anyone confirm if the parking break trick gets rid of the noise?
Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E92 M3
i tried the parking brake trick and it didn't work.

I believe Orient330i might be right about the brake wear sensor, which is located in the rear right, my noise comes exactly from that side
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: California
Exclamation Did I get a lemon?

My 06-330i has so many problems.

1. It squeaks when I drive in low speed. I took my car to the dealer, they replaced all the brakes 5 months ago. And they told me to replace all the tires, so I did. Now same old problem happens again. Obviously, it has nothing to do with the brakes. Anyone knows what is wrong? I just don't know where the sound is coming from?

2. Steering wheel squeaks in cold weather. Dealer put lube inside. Doesn't help at all. It is still squeaking.

3. And now, the passenger climate control knob has problem too. All of a sudden, it jumps from 66 degrees to 80 degrees by itself.

4. When i inserted the key fob into that hole, stepped down the brakes and pressed the Start button. The engine started and accelerated like crazy. I thought I stepped on the pedal instead of brakes. Scared the crap out of me.

Anyone advises, please.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Mine is fixed

I have had this problem for 20K miles. Two trips to the dealership for the problem and all I got was the run-around. Went to a different dealership, they knew what to replace. You need to replace all four brake pads, and the brake sensor for each pad. The sensor can be too close to the pad, causing the squeaking. My 330i is silent now, I am
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Parking brake

I tried the parking brake trick several times, it did not help for me at all.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: e93
I also have the squeaking problem. I've done the parking brake thing several times with no improvement.

One trip to the service center and I got the dreaded "could not duplicate problem". Next time I will have to make sure to take a drive with the adviser.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i
i just got an 07 335 sedan and noticed this noise. it happens when im rolling from a dead stop. till i get to about 20mph. ill try cleanig my sensor and report back. hopefully someone finds a cure.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I say start a recall!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
Let's get a few things straight here. "Recall" is short-hand for "safety recall". Your brakes are working just fine, but you're not pleased about the audible sensation you're getting when you use them.

In line with the thinking about breaking in your brake pads, sometimes the friction between the iron rotor and the carbon ceramic pad creates a resonance that sounds unpleasant. It's because there is something interrupting the flow of the pad across the rotor - either uneven pad material or some minor warping.

I've found that I've been able to make it go away by doing several hard stops from 80 to 20mph. You have to get a lot of heat in the brakes, and then use a firm press of the pad to effectively resurface your rotor. Six to ten hard stops should do it. Make sure you drive around for a few miles after to let the brakes cool off, and try not to sit on the brake at a stop light. When you park DO NOT PUT THE PARKING BRAKE ON. You just put 900-1000 degrees of heat on the rotor. If you pull your parking brake you'll fuse some of your rear brake pads to your rear rotors, and the squeaking sound will return. It's not a coincidence that the rear brakes are the ones making noise, for some of you.

Inversely, I found the sound gets worse if you sort of drag your foot on the brakes for 1/4 mile leading up to a stop light. It might be weird for your passengers or other drivers to see you approach an intersection at 60mph, but you only really need about 150 feet to stop safely. Recall that while the car will stop in 110 feet under ideal conditions, you may be on an unlevel surface, have improper tire pressure, worn out tires, or be on uneven asphalt.

Last edited by westwest888; 01-24-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
I agree about not saying "recall".

But I don't think these folks are talking about squeaking when you apply the breaks, that's aBWM thing I've gotten used too. Mine act like these guys are talking about also. When warm, and driving slowly (parking lot for example) they squeak like crazy! Apparently there is a SIB for the break sensor that addresses this. I have to take car car in and get them to check it out, because this noice is not normal.

BTW - Those are very good tips from westwest about dealing with normal break squeak!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
ha ha ha
i get this sound from 0-15 mph a lot
and also get the service engine soon light a lot
and also get the engine malfunction - please reduce power on my navigation a lot

at least i know a lot of people have the same first problem as me
Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: a bucket and a Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown View Post
well i just took my car into the dealer for the third time and now they said they need the car for the rest of the day and i will recieve it tomm. the rental car a ****ing VW Beetle haha F that so i got the 328i for $30 more. Anyways i will tell you what happend when i get my car back and if the problem was fixed... HOPEFULLY I dont have to go back. I dread going to the BMW dealerships now, if im not buying a car.
Can you share which dealership you took it to? I want to make sure I never go to that one for ANYTHING, not a CPO, not a new car, not even to use the bathroom.

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335 Coupe, SP, AT
Like you all need another opinion and one that may seem totally unnrelated.

I had the horrible squeaking. Much like you're all talking about but mine was not related to brakes. It was from the right rear wheel and it was the wheel bearing. Replaced it and it went away for good. The bearing most likely went bad because I track my car a lot.

We, the dealer and I, originally thought it was a brake issue and replace the rears. The squeaking was still present and got worse. Took it back in and they got it right.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
I have the squeaking noise issue also , the car was at the dealer for the whole day . The tech didn't find anything .
Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsmart02 View Post
I have the squeaking noise issue also , the car was at the dealer for the whole day . The tech didn't find anything .
ditto, three times.

Got a call into the dealership owner with a plea for help. We'll see.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Did they hear the noise?

That's one reason I haven't taken mine in yet. I'm afraid they'll tell me they don't hear it. It only does it after driving for a while. I usually drop the car off the night before an appt, which means it will be cold when they look at it. I really need to just stop by on the way home from work one day.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:08 AM
In love with my car.

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Conv
Hey guys. My car goes in the shop Monday morning for another issue but I'm also having them check out my squeak/squeal.

What information should I give them to help them diagnose and fix it? Is it best to say, "I've heard it might be the brake sensor or the parking brake"? Or should I just tell them the problem and let them go on their own? Do they get annoyed if I tell them its a well-known problem?

It's fairly constant now, so I think they should be able to duplicate it fairly easily. Knock on wood.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 08' E93 Cv.
same issue, not fixed

My car(E93/vert) has same issue. And got brake pads replaced during 1st time service. It sounded better since then, but one month later, the problem came out again and again. Now I can hear the squeak everyday.
10/19/07 loaded on vessel ISOLDE,
11/12/07 Discharged.
11/21/07 Delivered.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHatePho View Post
Hey guys. My car goes in the shop Monday morning for another issue but I'm also having them check out my squeak/squeal.

What information should I give them to help them diagnose and fix it? Is it best to say, "I've heard it might be the brake sensor or the parking brake"? Or should I just tell them the problem and let them go on their own? Do they get annoyed if I tell them its a well-known problem?

It's fairly constant now, so I think they should be able to duplicate it fairly easily. Knock on wood.
I tend to tell them everything I've heard about a problem. That's the beauty of Bimmerfest and other forums. I'm not mechanically adept, so hearing about what others have done to get a problem fixed is valuable to me, and to the service techs.

I have service scheduled for Monday, too (for the squeal mostly, but also to replace the seat belt delivery system, which only retracts about half the time.) I plan to tell them about the brake wear sensor idea and the wheel bearing possibility (both recounted here.) I'll come back here when finished for an update.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 01-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
ditto, three times.

Got a call into the dealership owner with a plea for help. We'll see.
Ok, c'mon folks! No one here thought of recording the sound? You know, even with their cell phone?

Video'd be better. Then you can play it back for the tech.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: '07-e90 335i jet black
I love this forum

I have had the same issue on my '07 335i (mostly noticable in the warm months with the windows down). 3 times I've mentioned it to the service rep (hoping that someone else had the same issue that they learned how to fix) and 3 times I've gotten "could not reproduce).

I hate being that guy..."my car makes a slight squeaking noise when starting out from a stop and traveling at slow speeds."

If it is the brake pad sensor then it seems like a bulletin should go out to the dealers for adjustments.

I may need to be at the dealership for a clutch issue (another post) so maybe I'll mention the squeak again.

Fingers crossed.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown View Post
Well I know there have been ALOT of threads on this "SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME" but really this problem is ever so annoying and I have yet to see a solution. Ive been to the dealership a couple of times and they kept saying it was the brakes... so they eventually(after going 2 or 3 times) just changed all four brakes with new ones (which didnt cost a dime. Ill give BMW that much). See, it seems most of the 3 series owners face this problem: when accelerating from a stop there is a squeaky noise coming from the rear and it only squeaks from 1-20 mph. With this kind of problem is there any chance of a recall or at least we can tell the appropriate people to get this problem resolved? Because when I bought a BMW car I expected BMW....
I have the squeky thing going on too..I step into the car and the rear end squeeks..Also, just got it back from dealer for the squeaky brakes, they did not do a freaking thing, just said that noises from the brakes are not covered..what the F? I mean it is beyond embarrassing to have that sound coming to a red light..

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search