Should BMW start a recall for the: THE SQUEAKY WHEEL SYNDROME??? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 PM
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*

Mein Auto: e92 335i
Just give it up... It will eventually stop doing it. Finally after 2 1/2 years, I just reached 30k and I don't think I hear it anymore. Maybe it just needs time.
It's all a joke that BMW is playing on their customers.

*Butter Pecan Papi*
e92 335i
e90 330i (Sold)
e46 323i
e34 530i (Sold)

BMW Car Club of America - National Capital Chapter
Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i
i took my car to the dealer for a different issue and mentioned it to them. i told them my symptoms. the description they had on the work order is "removed brake pads and cleaned. applied brake queit." its working so far. we'll see how long it lasts.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Mine's going in on Tuesday for the squeaks that are clearly coming from the back whenever I take off. My left dash cupholder also busted off in the sub zero temps. Hope they don't blame me for that.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehammocklife View Post
I can reproduce the sound without driving the car. After I get out of the car if I push the car back by pushing on the door frame I can hear the sound. Maybe if someone is taking in their car they can point this out. See if it works for you first though.
Same here, just pushing back or down gives out a nice squeak..
Old 02-02-2009, 05:12 PM
In love with my car.

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiheik View Post
Same here, just pushing back or down gives out a nice squeak..
DUH. I'm an idiot. I totally meant to point this out to them when I dropped it off this morning. I know that s--t won't be fixed. They are going to play with my brakes though.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Got "White Lightning" back yesterday and so far have not heard more squeaking. The service notes read: "cleaned pads, rotors and sensor." Hope it works. I'll write again if it comes back.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 02-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by berford View Post
Got "White Lightning" back yesterday and so far have not heard more squeaking. The service notes read: "cleaned pads, rotors and sensor." Hope it works. I'll write again if it comes back.
Hope I am wrong, but wait another 3k miles and I bet it is back..
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
In love with my car.

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Conv
I just got mine back and I don't have the service notes in front of me, but I know it said they replaced the sensor and cleaned the rotors. No squeak, but I'm not expecting that to last. I have service due around May I think, so if it does come back in 3k miles it should be around my service time.

My loaner was a 2009 328 sedan. Only 2k miles. I love BMW.

Last edited by IHatePho; 02-05-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: Dodge Viper
It was discovered many years ago that brake squeal is not an issue with the pads to rotor contact, but a sonic vibration that can make any of the contact points from pads to caliper squeal. It's like that thing where you rub your wet finger around the rim of a crystal wine glass.
Do not try the so called "break bedding" this is exactly the best way to warp your rotors. I skimmed the article, and couldn't believe they actually tell you to look for bluing of the rotors. Blue steel is overheated steel!
The way to stop the squeal is stop squeal, or anti-squeal shims. The stop squeal is a silicone like gel that is applied to the rear surface of the pad. This usually works, BUT if the mechanic is hurried, as most are (especially dealers). They dont allow the compound to set for the several hours it takes before reassemly, and the fix wont last long.
Anti-squeal shims are sometimes available in a kit but mostly come on aftermarket pads already affixed. Original equipment pads typically do not have them nor are they available to dealers.
With a good set of aftermarket pads, a hearty amount of stop squeal, and some patience I can put the whammy on a squeal soooooo hard.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 11 X3 xDrive35i (F25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHatePho View Post
I just got mine back and I don't have the service notes in front of me, but I know it said they replaced the sensor and cleaned the rotors. No squeak, but I'm not expecting that to last. I have service due around May I think, so if it does come back in 3k miles it should be around my service time.

My loaner was a 2009 328 sedan. Only 2k miles. I love BMW.
I had the same work done to my car and it came back within a month. I hope you have better luck.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 07 white 335i sport
There's that squeak

Because it is warmer and my windows are down, I started hearing a squeak at a very low speed. At first I thought it was someone else, but it was my car. I mentioned this to the dealer this morning and he said it sounded like the brakes, but I don't think its the brakes. I have to have my satellite radio replaced, so they will look at the wheels then.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
I took my car in last Friday. They replaced the pads, rotors, and sensor. The sound stopped. Hopefully it won't come back. That said that the pads were very dry and suggested that I be extra careful cleaning my wheels. I guess that could have contributed to the problem, but I am very careful cleaning the wheels. Whatever the problem, it was nice not to hear the sqeaking on my way home today
Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 335i
Smile Squeaking Syndrome. ha!

Same problem as mine. Just started hearing this intermittent squeaking noise when i had the windows down coz it was so hot these past days. I thought I'm hearing it from the front but when I had my brother sit in the front passenger, he can totally tell it's coming from the back. Been hearing these for 3 days. You could also hear it when windows are closed but very faint or none at times. Brought to BMW dealer, a few chat and the mechanics guy is pretty sure its the brake sensor than comes in contact and causes the problem/noise. Changed the rears including brake pads. Still under warranty. He called me and things are fine now, couldn't hear any noise anymore. Hopefully these will solve the problem. They always have good services. NOW it's a SYNDROME everyone has, maybe or likely?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 335i
Funny........Squeaking syndrome.

Last edited by rjavelosa; 04-07-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I don't think "most" 3 series owners have this problem. I'm sure this is annoying and I hope BMW resolves it quickly but just because you see it here a few or more times doesn't mean it's that common. I don't have this issue with my E90 328.

Thanks, Mike.
i have it and yes it's very irritating
Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
I'm sure "most" is a stretch, but it does seem to be a common problem. And it is very irritating! It's been a couple months since they fixed the problem on mine, and so far it hasn't retured.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD View Post
I'm sure "most" is a stretch, but it does seem to be a common problem. And it is very irritating! It's been a couple months since they fixed the problem on mine, and so far it hasn't retured.
Ditto for me. Plus, I cleaned the sensor again myself when changing out the snows for performance tires last week.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i
I have had my brakes replaced 3x and I still have squeaks and I have 15000 miles in 2+ years
Old 04-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Awesome power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
I have had my brakes replaced 3x and I still have squeaks and I have 15000 miles in 2+ years
So sorry. I think a dirty sensor is the problem.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Boat Guy

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Mine is at the dealership for the second time, as they work to resolve this sane exact squealing problem - along with defective wastegate solenoids that caused the "ENGINE MALFUNCTION" light to come on all the time. Allegedly, these solenoids are also the source of all sorts of other harsh engine noises I'm hearing.

The squeak is especially annoying when rolling up to a light (no brakes applied) or idling around at parking lot speeds.

All this, on top of my two HPFP replacements in 11,000 miles. People at the office are so used to seeing me with a loaner, my car is getting a reputation as flashy but failure prone.
CURRENT: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe / Space Gray / Coral Red Leather / Gray Poplar / Steptronic w/ Paddles / Sport Package / Premium Package / Nav & I-Drive / iPod / Sirius / Comfort Access. Delivered 8/4/2008 from BMW of Sarasota

PREVIOUS: 2006 BMW 330i / Black Sapphire / Beige Leather / Poplar / Steptronic / Sport Package / Premium Package / Comfort Access - Delivered October 6th, 2005 from Southpointe BMW in Sarasota, FL

Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: 428 Cabrio - ED'ed 8-14
My '08 E93 just started exhibiting the low-speed squeak recently with about 8k miles on the clock. I've got the one where it squeaks a few times when starting from rest. But here's my question, since I haven't gotten under there to look as yet.

On most disc-braked cars, the wear sensor is simply a small sheet metal tab attached to the back of the brake pad, that will some in contact with the disk when the friction material is getting low and produce the squealing sound when the brakes are applied - not when they're off. Is the BMW wear sensor something different, or is the issue related to how much dust these pads seem to make?

My 2014 ED trip report: Born Yesterday - 3rd ED off to a (mostly) flawless start
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793345

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271

Last edited by boothguy; 06-02-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: Sapphire/coral 335i Cp
I've had the problem from day one. From what I have learned it is due to a faulty sensor on the rear brakes. It actually requires replacing the brakes in order to replace the sensor. Last month Ii took car in for service and complained about it. SA said that they could not find the origin of the problem . Car scheduled for another service next week. I now will TELL THEM what the cause is and what is needed to fix it. Its kind of sad when the customer knows more than the service techs.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 3401
My dealer put on new rear pads. The squeak is gone... for now. I have a loaner 5 series today. It only has 5,000 miles and has the squeaky wheel from 1-20 mph.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: 428 Cabrio - ED'ed 8-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
I've had the problem from day one. From what I have learned it is due to a faulty sensor on the rear brakes. It actually requires replacing the brakes in order to replace the sensor. Last month Ii took car in for service and complained about it. SA said that they could not find the origin of the problem . Car scheduled for another service next week. I now will TELL THEM what the cause is and what is needed to fix it. Its kind of sad when the customer knows more than the service techs.
Good luck with that tack. I've found that service writers at dealerships across a wide variety of makes shut down the on-board listeneing devices whenever a customer - any customer - mentions they heard something on "the Internet". If there's a technical service bulletin from the manufacturer, it's best to print out a copy to wave in the SA's face. And there doesn't seem to be one in this case. It doesn't matter how well-informed or well researched the opinion is, beware of citing a Web source to a service writer at virtually any dealership out there. Most dealership service writers, regardless of make, are convinced that actual knowledge about their particular make does not exist outside of the dealership's gates.

My 2014 ED trip report: Born Yesterday - 3rd ED off to a (mostly) flawless start
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793345

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271

Last edited by boothguy; 05-20-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i
does anyone know if installing non oem brakes would solve this problem.. this squeaking is so f'ing annoying and irritating..

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search