New 335I and in the shop for a week already, advice needed - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 17Outback
It is possible to bend a rim or actually 2 on the same side. I know this first hand and this is the first two rims I have ever bent in my life and yes it was a hidden pothole. So that part of the story is very viable. They did not align my car, just replaced one tire and two new rims. I got the bent rims straightened since I paid for the new ones and put the same RFT on the car so now I have a spare set of tires.

I agree with allowing the dealer to sort things out. I have a convertible and it has only two small issues. Slight leak when washed spraying the hose at an angle you will never get rain so I would not be concerned about that and give the dealer a shot at adjusting it. Other issue is a flutter around the driver's window area that is there at times and gone other times.

The steerting wheel being off center is an alignment issue and easily solved.

Long cranking is a HPFP issue and have them replace the fuel pump. Your car should start in one to twp seconds tops. Ask them is this is not the first indication of a high pressure fuel pump failing.

In the end you should give them time to sort this out or request they buy it back so you can order the color combo you wish.

If this is essentially a new car then they do owe you a car that performs like a new car.

Last edited by fun2drive; 09-12-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Can't control my fingers

Mein Auto: .
Fisrt, the salesman drove the sh*t out of the demo car he was going to let me test drive.

Then, I drove the sh*t out of the same car with the salesman sitting beside me.

I reminded myself at the time never to buy a BMW demo.

Live and learn.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sedan
Caveat Emptor.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
It is possible to bend a rim or actually 2 on the same side. I know this first hand and this is the first two rims I have ever bent in my life and yes it was a hidden pothole. So that part of the story is very viable. They did not align my car, just replaced one tire and two new rims. I got the bent rims straightened since I paid for the new ones and put the same RFT on the car so now I have a spare set of tires.

I agree with allowing the dealer to sort things out. I have a convertible and it has only two small issues. Slight leak when washed spraying the hose at an angle you will never get rain so I would not be concerned about that and give the dealer a shot at adjusting it. Other issue is a flutter around the driver's window area that is there at times and gone other times.

The steerting wheel being off center is an alignment issue and easily solved.

Long cranking is a HPFP issue and have them replace the fuel pump. Your car should start in one to twp seconds tops. Ask them is this is not the first indication of a high pressure fuel pump failing.

In the end you should give them time to sort this out or request they buy it back so you can order the color combo you wish.

If this is essentially a new car then they do owe you a car that performs like a new car.
I damaged, well I broke (1969 Plymouth Roadrunner) 2 rims on 1 side at the same time but I broadsided the curb to do it. It really damaged the front suspension. I wouldn't want the OP's vehicle no matter what the dealer does.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJK View Post
Caveat Emptor.
I wouldn't expect the OP to understand Latin.

SJK, keep your head down and your feet dry and stay safe during IKE.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 09-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: Depends of the day
what a piece of crap that car is right now. SORRY man. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Cv
No one fussier than I am

I am about as fussy a buyer as anyone. I wanted Alpine White with saddle and an infexible list of options and packages, so I ordered the car. It was well worth the wait to have it built to my specifications.
08 335i Convertible | Alpine White | Saddle Brown/Black Dakota Leather | Dark Burl Walnut Wood | Asanti Wheels (AF 134) 8.5 x 19, 9.5 x19 | Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, 235/35ZR19, 265/30ZR19 | Every Package and Option except Active Steering and Active Cruise Control.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435 xDrive
Sorry to hear about so many problems in a "new" car. My suggestion is to bring it back to the dealer and tell them what your problems are again. I know this might sound rough but you could trade the car in at another dealer and order the car you want. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Estoril Blue
Black Leather
Hexagon trim
Estoril Blue matte finisher

6 Speed Manual

M Sport
Cold Weather
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus
Dynamic Handling Package
Lighting Package
19" Light Alloy Wheels (style 442M grey)
Premium Package
Technology Package
M Sport Brakes
Leather Dashboard
Enhanced Bluetooth
Concierge Services
Parking Assistant
Power Rear Sunshade
Harmon Kardon
M Performance Black Grilles
MPPK
MPE

Ordered on 7/26/2014
Old 09-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremecruiser View Post
In the disclosure papers they listed a few things like a few dings, rim scuff, etc...

The part that scared me was that the steering wheel was getting more tilted to the left, hard to paddle shift with a tilted wheel...

Today the service manager calls me and says that both right rims were bent and warped, so they ordered 2 new rims and tires... They were only going to replace the right sides tires...
I would have passed after this info.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335I vert
I had my attorney draft a letter to them and I emailed it to the general manager, sales manager, etc

The service manager called me and we had a nice long talk.
The right rear rim was bent and the tire had a bubble in it, the front rim might also be bent, they are replacing both and the tires on the right side.
I asked how they can replace tires on just one side of the car with 4000 miles on all the tires. This I am not to fond on, will have to ask in the TT forums.
He also said most of the other issues are related to the bad rim and that all my other issues would be taken car of.
We will wait and see, they know I have a attorney now over the issues, butt the general manager needs to man up and talk to me.

They gave me a 08 550I loaded to drive till the rims get in.
I will say it is nice to drive a V8 again, the rumble and growl of the motor is so nice.
Those that need a bigger car with a incredible ride, I suggest you test drive a 5 series
Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Manual Transmissions Rule

Mein Auto: '08 E90 335i 6-speed
Is the car ship shape now? Update...?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335Ci
Quote:
I could have gotten a new one, butt it was the color combo I wanted, I have been very specific on the color combo I wanted.
Thanks for the help
anyone that could afford a new BMW would know how to spell but. seriously what the hell is wrong with you?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongmad View Post
Word! 'Rich people don't drive new cars, they drive expensive cars.'
http://www.wallstreetfighter.com/200...-that-are.html

thebestlaxer is either a child or dumb. The 10k you save by buying used can easily be 100k over the course of 20-30 years if invested properly. There is nothing wrong with used cars.
That first statement is absurd. Of course rich people buy new cars, new expensive cars. What's the point in having lots of money if you don't spend it on fancy houses and fancy cars.

Also that 10K you saved by buying used could be worth absolutely nothing if you bought Lehman stock with it.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335
Check your state law. Most states have a lemon law which allows you to get your money back if the dealer can't fix the car after a specified number of repair attempts. Until then you need to keep taking it back for repairs. The warranty only obligates the dealer to fix defects, not take the car back. The lemon law forces them to take it back, if they can't fix it.

You bought a used car. The basic rule for used car buyers is "caveat emptor" buyer beware. The suspension problems should have been evident on a test drive and inspection. Before buying any used car, get an inspection from an independent repair shop. If the inspection showed bent rims and a bubble on a tire, terminate the sale. You don't know what the car hit--pothole or curb.

Having said that, I doubt you have bent frame, but you can take it to a body shop and have it checked. If anything, you might have a bent strut, but you have hit something pretty big at speed to bend a strut.

If you don't trust the dealer, take the car now to an independent BMW repair shop, get a report and take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. If they refuse, see a lawyer.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
Also that 10K you saved by buying used could be worth absolutely nothing if you bought Lehman stock with it.
what a ridiculous statement - because anyone can pick a stock AFTER the event that did the reverse also... try Fannie Mae (FNMFN) - if $10k was invested on 9/19 you could be sitting on $60k and have your next NEARLY NEW car paid for in cash AGAIN.

The point of the post you're mentioning is that SMART money doesn't buy into car depreciation as as much as the average Joe. They consider the opportunity cost of their money and they make it work for them. At some point when the wealth is really considerable, that logic will begin to have diminishing returns.

Your average BMW 335i will have been thrashed when used as a demo - but your Bentleys will not, nor will your Maybachs - and other top LUXURY marques. Porsche 911's - get a good hard drive, but seriously - they take what most US drivers hand out as a test drive with no worries and it will be practically NOTHING compared to how the car would be tested in their homeland. $10k savings for a 3-4 month "barely used" 911 - yes please!

If I was in a situation to lay down $250k on a Maybach, would I jump on a $30-60k savings for taking a 3,000 mile "demo" unit? ... perhaps... would Donald Trump - HECK NO! There is a big difference in perspective at the ultra-rich level - but the quote wasn't "ultra-rich" - it was "rich"... I am not rich, but even if I get to what I consider to be "rich" - I will still be a very frugal purchaser

Last edited by wyb; 09-26-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
what a ridiculous statement - because anyone can pick a stock AFTER the event that did the reverse also... try Fannie Mae (FNMFN) - if $10k was invested on 9/19 you could be sitting on $60k and have your next NEARLY NEW car paid for in cash AGAIN.

The point of the post you're mentioning is that SMART money doesn't buy into car depreciation as as much as the average Joe. They consider the opportunity cost of their money and they make it work for them. At some point when the wealth is really considerable, that logic will begin to have diminishing returns.
It's currently a lot easier to lose money in the markets than make it. Which is why TBills currently have an almost zero yield. Some of the "SMART money" isn't looking so smart right now.

As for depreciation, if you don't want to buy a used car, the "SMART money" thing to do is hedge the depreciation risk by leasing. Or if you want to buy a lightly used car, buy a lightly used Porsche 911 or Ferrari. Those cars tend to get babied and only driving on the weekends.

Plenty of wealthy people only buy new cars. However, they generally spend a smaller portion of their income on cars.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Rastafari

Mein Auto: 645ci
I feel your pain man

I took delivery of my 08 335i on July 9th '08.

Since then My check engine light wont stop coming back on.

I had the car for three weeks before the first problem

1. I was told that the tubes that are routed to the turbos were routed incorrectly at the factory, causing it to collapse. So they rerouted them. Then a few weeks later light comes back on"Reduced power- Engine malfunction"

I drive my car hard but still.

and recently in the last two weeks I have felt a significant reduction in power and acceleration. My car even struggled to start on two occasions.

2. The second time it went in the shop (this week) They told me that the High presssure fuel pump had malfunctioned and they had to replace it.

So I get it back and an hour later the check engine light comes on again.
Oh yea my car still felt like it didnt have the same normal power and acceleration.

So i call my dealer and he says bring it back.

So today I have a Horrible X3 loaner. and my car is in the shop. and they havent called me yet so Im wondering whats really going on with my car.

Any one really experienced in Lemoning a car if so.... some advice for me? Can I do any thing yet?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrant View Post
It's currently a lot easier to lose money in the markets than make it. Which is why TBills currently have an almost zero yield. Some of the "SMART money" isn't looking so smart right now.

As for depreciation, if you don't want to buy a used car, the "SMART money" thing to do is hedge the depreciation risk by leasing. Or if you want to buy a lightly used car, buy a lightly used Porsche 911 or Ferrari. Those cars tend to get babied and only driving on the weekends.

Plenty of wealthy people only buy new cars. However, they generally spend a smaller portion of their income on cars.
The Dow and SP 500 lost almost 9% of their value today after congress failed to enact legislation to stabilize the financial system.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_I_said View Post
But
i agree...

i have no clue why you would have bought this car in the first place. im sorry for your choice/loss/decision. i really don't know what to tell you.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: Black 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Due diligence is usually performed by the buyer. It is a car salesman's job to sell cars and yours to make sure you don't get ripped off buying one.

It sounds like this car has been put through the wringer by a variety of test drives and abuse.

I doubt you'll be able to get your money back but if at all possible that's what I'd do.

Get a CarFax on the car. Verify that it was really not sold or wrecked. The CarFax should show that the car was put in service as a dealer loaner. Did you get it CPO? If not why not because if the dealer refused that would be a red flag right there? I'd definitely never buy a late model used BMW without the CPO warranty.

I feel bad for you but lesson learned.

I agree. The term due-dillignece refers to the work and research that is required by the individual making the purchase. Caveat Emptor ... buyer beware.
I feel your pain; however, I think you might have made an impulse buy and are now paying the price...
(I hope it works out for you though!!)

The ultimate driving machine.
The only driving machine...
Old 12-04-2008, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto: Black 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 into 3 View Post
I am about as fussy a buyer as anyone. I wanted Alpine White with saddle and an infexible list of options and packages, so I ordered the car. It was well worth the wait to have it built to my specifications.
... Funny - I did the exact same thing. I have researched this car for 2 years and was prepared to wait the extra three months on a production order basis. It was well worth the wait time!! No complaints here as I got exactly what I ordered. I knew that if I was not happy with the purchase then I had no one to blame but myself.

The ultimate driving machine.
The only driving machine...
Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkleyBMW View Post
Fisrt, the salesman drove the sh*t out of the demo car he was going to let me test drive.

Then, I drove the sh*t out of the same car with the salesman sitting beside me.

I reminded myself at the time never to buy a BMW demo.

Live and learn.
LOL, I had the same experience except I also hit a huge pot hole by accident. I can't understand why anyone would want to buy a demo or a loaner. Especially a loaner. Just go to YouTube and check out some videos on what they do to cars.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 08 335I vert
Thumbs down

Just a classic case of misrepresentation by the dealership.
Told the car is new, in perfect conditions, and it was checked over, its perfect.
I could have crashed it with 2 bent rims and a giant bubble in a tire and killed my kid and myself.
It gets better.. ever seen a water fall bmw ?
The car has been in the shop 3 times for the same leak, seals replaced, rubber goo placed all over the sides to try and patch the leak.
I can not wash the car, I can not drive it in the rain, I hate looking at it right now.
Mailed a certified letter to BMW NA requesting a arbitration hearing to return the car under the SC Lemon Law statute ( to the addy BMW gave me ), A customer relations manager calls me a few weeks ago about a thread about my POS car and wants to have the car inspected by their regional engineer, she give me a certain day and says that the only day he can see it or I will have to wait till next year for my LL claim.
So I take off work and get stood up, no email, no call, nothing.
The dealers top shop guy goes for a ride with me to look at it and I gave him a towel so he did not get soaked. He was kinda in shock and admitted that someone gued up the seals to try and help fix the leak.
The customer relations rep does not even say sorry and tells me that thay did not get my LL letter, even though I have a signed return reciet, she then says it does not count since I did not send it to the attention of the "legal department"
It's been over a week since they got the second one and are still ignoring me

Emailed BMW this week and let the customer service rep that had been emailing and talking me that I would be giving her name to the States attorney generals office and the local media tv stations.
She sends me a nasty email that I should have taken the offer from the dealership of trading it in for market value on another vehicle and that that offer may still be on the table
I fire off a reply to her, BMW CEO, the board of directors at BMW NA and BMW DE.
I get a nasty voice mail TELLING me that I am not allowed to email BMW DE or others anymore and that someone will call me later in the day to talk to me about my car.
That was 2 days ago.
Customer service at its bets.
Who wants my email list ?

The video of my car at a car wash
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
She sends me a nasty email that I should have taken the offer from the dealership of trading it in for market value on another vehicle and that that offer may still be on the table
Dude, why would you not dump this POS when she gave you the chance? At some point if they offer you an easy way out of this car into a better one and you don't take it, whose fault is that?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Fountainhead

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Wow, sure are a lot of dicks in this place.
"That's what you get for buying used, looser. If you were as amazingly successful, wealthy and handsome as myself, you would have bought a new car. I new car made of gold and happy thoughts."
"Don't you know that all car salesmen are vampires? They PURPOSEFULLY sell you ****e cars so that you break down in the middle of the night on deserted roads where they can then drain you of all your precious blood."
"Lesson learned asshole!"

No wonder BMW owners are stereotyped as douche-bags. Most of you are.

To the OP:
This is a crappy thing to have to deal with. Hopefully you get everything fixed, but is it really worth it at this point? Just think about the problems that you HAVEN'T encountered yet I hope that you keep a crucifix with you!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search