Convertible top fix.....Maybe? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 06 650i Conv, 68 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot0814 View Post
I recently bought a used 2005 645ci and the top worked perfectly thru the spring and in Houston the weather has just started to get HOT. So this weekend I got this same alarm and continual "Ding" warning as I speed up and I have to open the trunk using the key as the trunk button doesn't work.

Any one out there know how much this is going to cost to fix NOT under warranty? My local BMW service advisor here in League City said that he has had no problems like this and that I'd have to bring it in.
I seriously doubt that. I'm in Seattle and there is another 6 Series in the shop right now for the exact same thing. They told me they are changing "another sensor". Black Top on mine too.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
Anyone out there have a diagram and/or locations for all the sensors? I'm going to try to put my car in an A/C garage this weekend and then disconnect the battery and see if the problem goes away (Until I drive it outside). But at least this way I could each day whether to top down or not in the A/C garage and hope for no rain.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Ducati fills my BMW's gap

Mein Auto: '05 645ci
I have a problem with top not closing all the way sometimes "Convertible Top Not Locked" message. It's the rear window - it get's stuck and I have to close it manually. Sometimes the "fins" won't go up all the way for the back lid to rise (when putting the top up, just starting) - I just go outside and manually lift them up (if you do it from one side, the other side will follow). Nothing about sensors on mine. [B]I do keep it on battery changer from now one, as someone here suggested, if I'm not driving it for over 2 days. - No problem if I'm doing that.[B] I guess new battery is due?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: '07 650i convertible
Add me to the list of people with this issue.

I have an '07 650 (black top). Mine is currently in for the 3rd attempt (in 12 months) on this issue.

Reading through all the threads, the thing that doesn't make sense to me is the BMW claim that this is heat related. I am in PA and the fault occurred this morning. 60 degrees. Yesterday it was maybe 70 degrees. I have had this happen now in the middle of Summer, the dead of Winter, and now in the Spring. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason.

I used the words "lemon law" today when speaking to the service manager. Without any apology for all of my issues he just matter of factly stated that lemon laws don't apply to used cars. Even CPO used cars. Thanks for the compassion man.

Anyway, lemon laws don't apply, but the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does. It is a federal statute, and not state based. Apparently my service guy is unaware of it, but I am going to make him fully versed in it if I have to take this car in again. Anyone else at the end of their rope with this issue should look into it as well.

I have owned four cars prior to this, a Nissan, two Hondas, and a Toyota. In twenty years, the # of times combined any of the four was in for anything other than routine maintenance: 1. The # of times in 15 months this BMW has been in: 4.

This is my first experience with BMW and at this point it is likely to be my last.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 PM

...even if you go with a used mercedes or (god-forbid) an audi, you will always have more problems than any regular car (nissan, toyota, etc.) Our cars are complex to the point of being on the edge of unbelievable . Just like Da Vinci in his time with all of his inventions. The point is, that if you want a reliable car - go with plain, simple car, without all of the "bells and whistles".
This battery issue, described in all other 6-er posts and topics really does exist. The battery's capacity is barely enough to care for the electronic system in this car. So my advice - keep the battery on a tender.
You can always turn to Lexus, Infinity and Acura. Some compromise in quality and luxury, but those cars will most likely behave like their predecessors (toyota, nissan and honda) and last as long.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petros2r View Post
...even if you go with a used mercedes or (god-forbid) an audi, you will always have more problems than any regular car (nissan, toyota, etc.) Our cars are complex to the point of being on the edge of unbelievable . Just like Da Vinci in his time with all of his inventions. The point is, that if you want a reliable car - go with plain, simple car, without all of the "bells and whistles".
This battery issue, described in all other 6-er posts and topics really does exist. The battery's capacity is barely enough to care for the electronic system in this car. So my advice - keep the battery on a tender.
You can always turn to Lexus, Infinity and Acura. Some compromise in quality and luxury, but those cars will most likely behave like their predecessors (toyota, nissan and honda) and last as long.
I understand your point, but I would still think the car could be more reliable than having to be in the shop every four months. And given my first issue was a leaky seal that fried the electrical equipment, I can't attribute that to complexity or over-engineering. That is just simple lack of quality control in my book.

Meanwhile - car has been in the shop for a day and a half. Not even a call to update me on any progress or lack thereof. Maybe I am just in bed with a poor service department.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 06 650i Conv, 68 Vette
Well, My problem seems to be resolved. There was a TSB about manually adjusting the sensors, and I've had no problems for the last week. I'm crossing my fingers.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandM View Post
Well, My problem seems to be resolved. There was a TSB about manually adjusting the sensors, and I've had no problems for the last week. I'm crossing my fingers.
The test will be a really hot day.

2017 540i - Carbon Black Metallic | M Package | Lots of bells and whistles
Previous Bimmers:
2012 650i Coupe
2008 650i Convertible
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 05-19-2010, 11:05 AM

So my SA says that they are going to try something different this time that he claims has fixed the issue on some other 6-series he has dealt with. This of course implies the problem is reasonably widespread, which makes me wonder why this hasn't been a recall!!!

But his "fix" is to ignore the reccomended procedure of leaving the sensor and adjusting the bracket and instead to swap out to an updated sensor and not adjust the bracket. He wants to keep it for another day or so to test it periodically to see if the error recurs.

Has anyone else's repair shop taken this approach?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540i
Yes. Didn't work. What did work (albeit temporarily, but for a longer period that the other times) was this infamous "new" adjustment procedure the regional BMW service rep had.

2017 540i - Carbon Black Metallic | M Package | Lots of bells and whistles
Previous Bimmers:
2012 650i Coupe
2008 650i Convertible
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Yes. Didn't work. What did work (albeit temporarily, but for a longer period that the other times) was this infamous "new" adjustment procedure the regional BMW service rep had.
(head in hands) Grrreat. Well, I guess we'll see how long this "fix" lasts before I have to take it in for attempt #4.

I wonder how many more fixes I need to go through before I suggest replacing the top altogether. Did the SA offer this as a fix finally, or did you request it?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: '05 645 Convertible
Don't wait for SA. Tell him you know this is an ongoing problem with the 6 and you want the top replaced. If this doesn't work, contact BMWNA.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabot View Post
Don't wait for SA. Tell him you know this is an ongoing problem with the 6 and you want the top replaced. If this doesn't work, contact BMWNA.
You're probably right. Next time it goes in I am asking for a new top.

Just curious dcabot, have you had this issue also? If so, did you get a new top and has it fixed the problem (and for how long)?

I'm trying to get a sense of how widespread the issue is. One would think that if only 10% of the 6's are affected that there would be a more permanent fix available (i.e. if 90% are fine, the sensors/brackets are placed and function perfectly, so the proper adjustment should be able to solve the issue - which clearly it is not).

If it is more like 50% are affected, then this should be a recall.

Randomly I happened to be at a stop light next to a guy w/ a 6 vert today and I couldn't help but roll down my window to ask him if he has had issues. Unfortunately he was on the phone, so I couldn't get his attention.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 PM

Luckily I have not had this problem. Sems to be more with the black tops and hotter weather. Also I don't use mine enough
Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

What's a BMWNA? Sorry for ignorance :-)
Old 05-20-2010, 03:10 AM

BMW North America Customer Service
Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i
I too am now a member of the dreaded conv top unlocked club. I have owned my car for 2 weeks and had this happen 3 times already. I really wish I would have known about this prior to my purchase. Anyone have a recommendation of where I should take it in the San Diego area? I bought it from BMW of San Diego, that might be my first stop. I also bought an extended warranty from them and was told that the warrany covers the top. I guess i will see what happens...
Old 05-20-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
True to form, just got a call from my SA saying that their "fix" didn't even work long enough to get it out of the parking lot. So back to square one. Of course since I have already been back to square one three times, I guess I am like at sqaure negative three at this point.

Will keep everyone posted on my progress or lack thereof.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 PM

After a brief one week of no "Convertible Top Not Locked" alarms, it came back. I guess I'm headed to the BMW service with no warranty. Yikes.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot0814 View Post
After a brief one week of no "Convertible Top Not Locked" alarms, it came back. I guess I'm headed to the BMW service with no warranty. Yikes.
You should really pursue whether they will cover this even though you are out of warranty. This is clearly a manufaturers defect and should be a recall situation IMO. It's at least worth asking if BMW will work with you on this problem. Or call BMWNA and see if they will cover it.

Also, have you ever had this fixed under warranty in the past? My SA told me that each time they fix it restarts a 2-year warranty clock on that particulary part/service.

In other news, I did get my car back. The SA said he was initially mistaken and that the recurrence of the problem while the car was in the shop was b/c they tried the old fix again. They then went back and replaced the sensor with the "new" version. I parked it in outside in the sun all weekend and haven't had a recurrence of the problem. . . yet. Of course since I have had this occur during hot, cold, and temperate weather, I'm not sure I believe in the heat causation assumption.

I feel fairly confident that I won't have any problems until I take it away on a long trip next weekend and get as far away from my service center as possible. I'm sure that's when it will recur, but let's hope not.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Well, on a cooler evening yesterday here in Houston, To my surprise the red blinking button wasn't flashing on the convertible buttons. I tried it, the top worked perfectly did sound a bit labored. Drove it to dinner and back and it closed no problem so it's working now but haven't tried it in the hot sun. Think I'm going to garage it for evening outings and use my Pathfinder to commute daily. Sending it in to fix an intermittent "Convertible Top Not Locked" problem sounds like lots of $'s. So I'll keep monitoring this string to see how others are fairing with BMW NA. When all my buddies ask why I'm not driving it, I'll keep saying super awesome car but crappy recurring sensor malfunctioning top. Maybe my local BMW Advantage in League City, TX service advisor will get more of these Convertible Top problems and then when I have to fix it, he'll know what it cost. I'd pay to fix it if they told me they had a $250 new design sensor and $250 labor to fix it and they'd warranty it from now on. (I bought the car out of warranty).
Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
BiggApple 2da PineApple

Mein Auto: 745li 645ci
I'm also having the same top malfunction in Hawaii . Anyone know how to fix this?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:54 PM
BiggApple 2da PineApple

Mein Auto: 745li 645ci
The stealership said 1540.00 to fix a sensor! ThY doesn't even sound right. Anyone have a wiring diagram of the top,sensor locations,and or bracket locations?
Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 AM

Car in Shop Now

I just put the car in a reputable local non-BMW service garage. So I am awaiting a call from them on what it's going to have to cost to fix the 'Conv Top not Locked" issue. Will post my cost estimate when I get it. I'm sure I don't want to pay BMW dealership service costs. I'm going to try to get the exact fix details for future DIY options.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayboss101 View Post
The stealership said 1540.00 to fix a sensor! ThY doesn't even sound right. Anyone have a wiring diagram of the top,sensor locations,and or bracket locations?
Here is a link to the service bulletin on this problem which may help you. http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/b541706g.htm

Of course the bulletin says the "updated parts have been produced from 08/2005."

Given mine is an '07 and still has the problem, and this particular "fix" has been performed three times already on my car to only temporary effect, I don't put a lot of faith in this service bulletin.

I would seriously consider calling BMW NA about this. IMO this should be a recall as it is clearly a design flaw not a part failure. The only way to convince BMW NA to take full responsibility for this issue is to have more people contact them. Otherwise they will just continue to cover it under warranty until the warranty runs out and then leave us with the bill from there on out.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search