Convertible top fix.....Maybe? - Page 6 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645ci conv
Had the top issue a few days ago. Forecast called for rain for the next few days, so I disconnected the battery (6ers drain fast). Two days later I connected the battery and what do ya know, the top works. So I'll test the battery disconnect theory the next time it happens..........
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Ducati Sport Classic
I just looked at two used, but very beautiful, 6-series convertibles today as I want a convertible BMW. In looking for a decent forum I've been reading in this one (decent forums for the 6-series are pretty dang sparse). After looking at this thread I'm suddenly hesitant. If there was an actual known fix then I could handle that, but no fix and a variety of service center responses is disheartening

Someone, please, find a fix and post details. If it's not raining then I'll drop the top and crank up the heat but it is Oregon so things can turn wet quickly and I don't want to be caught in an embarrassing situation.

BTW, hi everyone
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Welcome to the forum.

I believe the top sensor issue is a lot more prevalent in warm weather locations like Florida and California. A few people have had issues in cooler climates but they seem to be rare.

There is a TSB for this which involves modification of the top's frame and it looks like this solves the issue for most people.

I say go for it! The 6 series is an awesome car.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: '07 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarv View Post
I just had to come back and report on some insane BMW policy. My convertible works well now, essentially $900 later. Not surprising given what I've seen elsewhere in this thread. What is insane is that the car is a CPO so I figured... no problem except the problem of going down there and the headache of leaving it with them for over a week.

So here is the deal. According to BMW of Mountain View, and I would imagine BMW corporate as well, the convertible top is not part of the CAR!!!!!!!!!!!! It is an accessory and hence NOT covered. I simply could not believe what I was hearing. If I could get the ear of a BMW exec and point out to them that this could well be my last BMW because of this kind of chicken sh....t. First they have a convertible top that clearly has design issues. So much so that they have issued a bulletin, and changed several of the parts, and changed how they are mounted. It fails, and I go in to get it fixed. Not only do they not apologize for this shortcoming on one of their flagship vehicles, but they proceed to screw me on the fine print in their CPO contract. This is simply stupid marketing. And imho dishonest. Would a cabrio 6 be a complete "CAR" without its convertible top? NO. End of discussion. It is not an accessory, it is part of the car.

Adding insult to injury, it took them 40 minutes to get the thing out of the garage.

Again, no apology. We're supposed to be honored to be at the holy BMW dealer.

I would love for one of their reps to contact me if they see this. I'd love to have them make this right, and I'd love to talk with them about the marketing image their dealer is putting out for their brand.

Hrumph.
Well, given what I have been going through see my post here I unfortunately can't say that I'm surprised. My car has been an utter disappointment and the level of remorse/sympathy/response I have received from BMW has been indifference at best. This is my first (and given my experience likely last) BMW, and I can't be more disappointed in their customer care. In my discussion with BMW NA I have literally never had someone apologize to me for the problems and inconvenience I have had. Maybe it's against their corporate policy to admit mistakes/issues.

IMO this top issue should be a recall anyway. No one should have to pay for what is clearly a design flaw. Claiming the top is "an accessory" and not part of the car is absolutely ludicrous. Not disclosing that fact upfront to a perspective buyer is bordering on fraud. I have had the top issue three times (and I am in PA, not TX or FL). I am also about to roll into the CPO. If I have the problem again and they tell me to pay for it, you can be sure I will hire a lawyer, and I'm not the suing type.

Good luck to you. I would fight for your $900 back.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Well... First post here... Almost like clockwork, 4 days before my warranty expired on my 07 650i and would you know it the dreaded top unlocked issue strikes... Top is completely closed, but now inoperable.. Blinking red light and error message saying the top is unlocked is all I get...

I have an appointment at BMW tomorrow and they already warned me to expect several days for the repair... But I was wondering if there is a service bulleting for this issue, and if so, if anyone knows the number?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:20 PM

The TSB for the "top not locked" can be found here.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Ducati fills my BMW's gap

Mein Auto: '05 645ci
Yorgi, is the "rotation sensor" located at the left wing? (left rear passenger side . My mechanic has messed with that sensor last fall and the "message" went off for few Montserrat ( until now). Or is it a different sensor?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
I just read this whole thread and since I am taking delivery tomorrow of my 08 vert I am now of course concerned to say the least. Mine is a one owner car and I have every service record with not one issue on it regarding the top.

This seems to be an issue for 04-07 cars? Has anyone with 08's or up had issues?

Sorry to everyone who has had this issue. Total BS BMW is not taking care of their customers. All higher end car dealer I have dealt jump out of their shoes to help especially if there is a common issue.

Good Luck Gents and hope I don't join you

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top

Last edited by White Drop Top; 05-04-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petros2r View Post
Yorgi, is the "rotation sensor" located at the left wing? (left rear passenger side . My mechanic has messed with that sensor last fall and the "message" went off for few Montserrat ( until now). Or is it a different sensor?
There are two positioning sensors. One on the "main pillar" and one on the "tensioning bar". I have not actually gone and taken a look at them to see what side they are on but if mine ever screw up I can assure you I will fix it myself and create a DIY.

The TSB/SIB deals with only the sensor on the tensioning bar (the tensioning bar is the rear half of the top, the part with the two "wings" that flip up first to allow the storage lid to open). This is the one they suggest you replace if manufacture date is less than 08/2005 and they also recommend you modify the sensor to allow it to be rotated a bit to make the top less sensitive to warpage of the frame due to heat.

I would go out and take a look at my top to find these sensors but I'm packing for my trip to the Tail of the Dragon. Leaving tomorrow afternoon. I think they are located at the base of bar, or at the "hinge point" down near where the top connects to the body of the car.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Drop Top View Post
I just read this whole thread and since I am taking delivery tomorrow of my 08 vert I am now of course concerned to say the least. Mine is a one owner car and I have every service record with not one issue on it regarding the top.

This seems to be an issue for 04-07 cars? Has anyone with 08's or up had issues?

Sorry to everyone who has had this issue. Total BS BMW is not taking care of their customers. All higher end car dealer I have dealt jump out of their shoes to help especially if there is a common issue.

Good Luck Gents and hope I don't join you
Mike,

I'm the king of the sensor issue (my '04 was in the shop 11 times for sensor issues before I got it goodwilled by BMW and replaced - something VERY rare given the cost of the roof). The problem is well documented within BMW, but I've mostly found this to be an issue on the early model years of the car. I've had my '08 for about 6 months and haven't had an issue (which normally seems to happen when it's hot and, as you know, South Florida is HOT!).

I think you'll be fine.

2017 540i - Carbon Black Metallic | M Package | Lots of bells and whistles
Previous Bimmers:
2012 650i Coupe
2008 650i Convertible
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Mike,

I'm the king of the sensor issue (my '04 was in the shop 11 times for sensor issues before I got it goodwilled by BMW and replaced - something VERY rare given the cost of the roof). The problem is well documented within BMW, but I've mostly found this to be an issue on the early model years of the car. I've had my '08 for about 6 months and haven't had an issue (which normally seems to happen when it's hot and, as you know, South Florida is HOT!).

I think you'll be fine.
Thanks Nick

Current cars 2008 650i Convertible full tint, 22' wheels magnoflow 2007 Range Rover HSE supercharged

Past Cars/Glory Days
02 lambo Murcielago
06 Bentley CGT
06 Merc CLS 550
07 Ferrari F430
06 Ferrari F430 Spider
06 Lambo Gallardo
05 Lambo Gallardo
04 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale
01 Ferrari 360 spider
05 Audi S6
02 Porsche targa S
99 Ferrari 360
91 Ferrari 348TS
99 Hummer H1 soft top
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 CIC
Manual work-around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petros2r View Post
I have a temporary fix solution (if you get tired of beeping noices everytime you go over 20mph): manually lower rear window (refer to your manual) and again, manually, start unlocking the roof. In this order. Wen you unwind the roof locking mechanism and see the sky a little - press "open roof" button and it will go down all the way and start working for some time. Note that it's extremely difficult to roll the rear window down manually. It will feel like you almost goin to break something in there or break the wrench rod. I went his route couple of times this summer. Good luck!
+1. It worked for me too. Thanks for your help.
1995 Acura NSX (Sold)
2001 BMW 330 CIC (Sold)

Old 06-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
So.. here's a summary of my experience with this issue:

I started having this issue just before my warranty expired, so I quickly took it in to my local dealer. They kept it 3 days and returned it with no problem found. The problem kept happening, and seemed to get more frequent (we are entering the summer heat in Fla) so about 3 weeks later I took it back in, armed with the TSB and a video on my phone of the problem actually happening. They kept the car a week, and they say they performed the TSB and did something to the software, exactly what nobody could really explain.. They did not charge me for the work at all, and the service rep said to call him directly if it happens again. I got the car back today, so I'm going to cross my fingers and see what happens!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
Mine is still not fixed. Tried and fixed it about 3 or 4 times but the fix never lasts. my car is black with black top and black leather seats and I do live in Houston but that's not as bad as 80 days of 100 plus degrees Dallas had this year.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
fletch

Mein Auto: 645 ci
this is my first post..thanks for all the great comments...i have a 05 645 ci..with the 'Blinking red light and error message saying the top is unlocked'..i'll try some of the "fixes" mentioned here ...and pray one works
Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 650 Sold - '12 Jaguar XK
There is another thread about the Top Unlock problem located below. I have linked directly to Page #5, when you get there scroll down to POST #120 by Boesman10. He has given a temporary "field fix" for when this problem occurs, this has saved many from driving with the car windows down or stuck top.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=226403&page=5
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM
fletch

thanks for the response...im gonna try the "fix" when I get home...I'll keep you posted...thanks again...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540i
Here's the direct link to the post (If you click the post number on any thread, you get the unique URL to that post) - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120

2017 540i - Carbon Black Metallic | M Package | Lots of bells and whistles
Previous Bimmers:
2012 650i Coupe
2008 650i Convertible
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Great mine just started to happen. so far when it's been pretty cold (28-32 degrees) it would come for about 10 seconds when i start the car then go away.... crossing my fingers.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:33 PM
fletch

It WORKED, IT WORKED, IT WORKED!!! thank you very, very much "boesman10"!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 AM

Mein Auto: 645
Thumbs up Convertible top SIMPLE fix

I have had the same problem for more than a year
It goes n comes back with weather rain heat etc
Dealership wanted $1200 for it to change the rotational angle sensor.

The sensor is located behind the driver seat in the soft top
I touched it accidentally and my red light went off.
Cane back again 2 days later and I just touched the sensor again and it's actually a pretty go solution for it
Have been driving for a month now and it works perfectly fine.
If it goes bad I just move my arm back while driving and touch the sensor.
Let me know if this works for anyone else
It's working pretty good for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
I live just outside of LA near Malibu. I picked up my '07 650i in late Nov.

Since then I have used the top every chance I get. It's been up and down at least 100 times. I put it up when ever I go into a store. My kids want me to drop them off at school with the top down (even when it's under 50F out side)

So far no issues at all. I think the 04-06s had a much bigger issue. Hopefully I will stay in the "Happy camp"

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM

Mein Auto: '07 BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
I note that all of the people having this problem seem to be in the States, have you asked any of the European users if they have the same difficulty?
I'm not European, but I'm Army and I've lived in Germany since Mar 2000. In Sep 2006 I received my brand new 650i vert, black top, black metallic paint, black interior. I then moved to the Netherlands in the fall of 2007. The same "top not locked" problem started with me summer 2008. The car was in the shop in the Netherlands countless times (somewhere around +13 times). I payed once, about 700 Euros (they claim it was a sensor problem) and they guaranteed me it was fixed. So every 3-4 months after that, THEY repaired it on their dime. Now I've moved to Korea. They've had it in the shop about 5 times in the year and a half I've been here. The dealership here in Seoul is saying replace the entire top. I'm like....YOU DO IT!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search