Did you receive the N54 HPFP warranty letter from BMW? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
False Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 14 435xi 14 X1 35i
At least when something goes wrong with the car you can guess what it is.

I received the letter, and a month later I got a new HPFP after it failed.

Because of my distance to the dealership, and 2 unsuccessful attempts to fix the car, it ended up being out of service for 10 days.

The dealer did offer a loaner or rental car as a temporary replacement. I called BMWFS and complained and got a refund on that month's payment.

With the exception of this one part, the car has been great (at least for an AWD grocery getter) and I intend to get a new one in January when my lease is up.

The extended warranty is BMW's way of acknowledging that there is a problem and that they intend to stand behind it. I can't imagine that it is not in their best interest to find a solution.

jummo
Old 09-04-2009, 08:45 AM
OG Member #321

Send a message via AIM to MarcusSanDiego
Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jummo View Post
At least when something goes wrong with the car you can guess what it is.

I received the letter, and a month later I got a new HPFP after it failed.

Because of my distance to the dealership, and 2 unsuccessful attempts to fix the car, it ended up being out of service for 10 days.

The dealer did offer a loaner or rental car as a temporary replacement. I called BMWFS and complained and got a refund on that month's payment.

With the exception of this one part, the car has been great (at least for an AWD grocery getter) and I intend to get a new one in January when my lease is up.

The extended warranty is BMW's way of acknowledging that there is a problem and that they intend to stand behind it. I can't imagine that it is not in their best interest to find a solution.

jummo
Good reminder, Jummo. If your car is down for an extended period of time, be sure to contact BMW FS and ask about extending the warranty for a month -- or about getting a refund for a particular month (or both).

I agree about these cars. With the exception of the HPFP failure, this is a fun car to drive. I have had one HPFP failure. For now, I'm not bothered by it. If it happens again -- and then perhaps again after that -- talk to me then.

I assume that BMW is doing its best to figure the problem out. I've owned a number of BMWs over the years. I've been a happy and satisfied customer. I'm willing to cut BMW some slack right now while they try to figure this out. But I'd like to see a solution sooner rather than later.

Eventually, even the biggest fans will have their patience run thin.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: K1200RS, E93/335i:4cruzin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
There has been lots of comments about BMW should issue a recall. Ignoring the legalese for a moment of what constitutes a recall, what exactly would a recall accomplish? What is the expectation? Please enlighten me.
If we acknowledge, the possibility, as many have speculated that BMW doesn't yet have a true fix. Then a recall would accomplish absolutely nothing. Even if a replacement cost was only $1 plus $9 of labor replacing (under recall) a working HPFP with one that is at the same risk of failure doesn't accomplish anything for the customer or BMW.

Also if the failure rate is 1 in 10, 2 in 10, or even 3 in 10 that is a lot of potentially unnecessary replacements.

For now we are in the regrettable state that BMW will replace the HPFPs as they fail, and it is not clear that the replacement HPFPs are performing any better, from a reliability standpoint, than the HPFPs produced one or two years ago.

Last edited by bmwKbiker; 09-04-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
This reminds me of an Acura CL I had with their first version of the SportShift transmission which became commonly known as the AutoTragic. Acura extended the warranty to 7yr/100k miles as part of the settlement in a class action lawsuit. I think BMW extended their warranty as a preemptive measure to avoid the bad publicity and legal expenses of what would have become an inevitable outcome.

Since a failure usually results in a limp mode, the NTSB doesn’t classify it a safety related defect and won’t issue a recall. Besides, if there is a recall, what are they going to use as a replacement?

….and so the saga continues….
Old 09-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Go Phillies!

Mein Auto: 2016 X6 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodell66 View Post
As an actual owner of a 335i I would like to thank you for your concern over the HPFP issue. Now, as an actual owner of a 335i I would like to say, and I think I speak for quite a few other actual 335i owners out there, we are WELL AWARE of how you feel about this issue and would like to ask you to stop opining on the issue EVERY TIME there is a new HPFP thread. For the life of me I cannot understand why you are so obsessed with an issue that does not even pertain to your car.

The HPFP issue is not going to sink the BMW brand. The last time I read a Consumer Reports review of the 3 Series there was not even a mention of the issue. It is unfortunate that actual 335i owners are still having to deal with this issue. BMW has stepped up and taken responsibility for the problem by extending the warranty on the part. BMW will eventually figure out what the problem is and they will correct it. Hopefully this occurs sooner than later.

Continuing to complain about the issue serves no productive purpose and takes up too much space in the forum.
(...and I had the HPFP replacement w/less than 1000 miles)

Many Thanks:
X6 2014
X6 2011
335cxi M pkg 2008 & 2009
335xi 2010
328xi 2013; 2007; 2004
X3 M pkg 2007; 2004
Old 09-05-2009, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerfsBimmer View Post
This reminds me of an Acura CL I had with their first version of the SportShift transmission which became commonly known as the AutoTragic. Acura extended the warranty to 7yr/100k miles as part of the settlement in a class action lawsuit. I think BMW extended their warranty as a preemptive measure to avoid the bad publicity and legal expenses of what would have become an inevitable outcome.

Since a failure usually results in a limp mode, the NTSB doesn’t classify it a safety related defect and won’t issue a recall. Besides, if there is a recall, what are they going to use as a replacement?

….and so the saga continues….
Thank You!!! Finally, someone with an ounce of sense speaks. Not a safety issue= no recall. It's being covered under warranty, so no legal case either...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW's: E90 and F22
Sounds like you work for BMW.... eh?
2015 Alpine White 228i Coupe ("El Chapo") with Sport Line, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, FineLine Stream Wood Trim, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package and Track Handling Package and those wonderful non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 PM
OG Member #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerfsBimmer View Post

Since a failure usually results in a limp mode, the NTSB doesn't classify it a safety related defect and won't issue a recall. Besides, if there is a recall, what are they going to use as a replacement?

…..and so the saga continues…..
You don't need an NTSB recall to get BMW to do its own recall. Some companies do their own recalls, without the prompting of NTSB. Indeed, think of a part that constantly fails (even though safety is not implicated), across a large number of vehicles. You think a car manufacturer must wait for the NTSB?

Last edited by MarcusSanDiego; 09-06-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:25 PM
OG Member #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalli View Post
It's being covered under warranty, so no legal case either...
Yeah? So since it's being covered under warranty, there are no legal issues that can arise if someone's HPFP fails on the freeway -- causing a serious mishap? BMW would prevail under this scenario? Because the part is covered under warranty?

Given the right situation, BMW could be faced with a legal problem (think accident on freeway that's caused by a failed pump). It's irrelevant that the part is covered under warranty.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
I have an 07 335xi built in Aug 07. I got the letter after having HPFP replaced 3 times in under 2 years of ownership, and just last week had to have all 6 cylinders replaced. I asked for some type of compensation and all my dealer would give me is a free car detail. I guess thagt all the car is worth..... I can tell you I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER BMW even though I love the car!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335I vert
Has anyone filed a NHTSA Complaint about the HPFP failures ?
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/Consumer.cfm
Old 11-08-2009, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
Along the lines of Waterboy and Marcus post. BMW had been investigated for the fuel pump by the NHTSA when the car first came out. Investigation closed because at that time not enough failed to make it a big deal. Now years later enough have failed, and not always in the safest places(left turnig across intersection, car goes limp). BMW hears the complaints about fuel pumps and the NHTSA is getting them too and might reopen investigation. BMW decides a recall would be very costly in dollars and publicity. However , warranty extension would mke them look good and they would only have to deal with the cars on a case by case basis, not replace all the pumps in all cars sold(a recall would entail that)and could void some warranties on modded cars and help them in any possible legal actions. BMW avoids a PR nightmare recall and ends up looking like a god guy for extending the warranty, proactively, stepping up , accepting repsonsibility, on a part they cannot see to get to work.
They would avoid a recall as long ast they could without ending up in wrongful death or injury( or until the accountants say) The recall does not have to wait until they find the right part if it is ordered by the govt . Worst case on that is if BMW could not fix the unsafe part then they would have to replace or buyback the vehicles for those affected by the recall. Govt donesnt careif you have a replacement part or not, they dont want anyone hurt or killed after they looked into a problem(anojther potential lawsuit). The warranty extension buys BMWtime to find a good replacement and also most of the cars willhave been returned from lease or resoldand then BMWsaves some more money when the new owner is oblivious to the problem. Comes down to which is more cost effective in dollars, future sales and general publicity for BMW

Last edited by quisp; 11-08-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:56 AM

Oh Yeah, I forgot, the extended warranty also will have some impact on any potential Lemon Law cases. It does not rule out legal actions entirely though.

Here is something you might find interesting

http://www.petitiononline.com/fixpump/petition.html

Last edited by quisp; 11-08-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
I don't think just because the warranty is present ....."legal" action cannot be started and finished. I believe there is more to it. Some people have had multiple pumps replaced, surely some of the seals or other broken down material may affect the injectors or who knows what else. Basically just replacing the fuel pump probably is not the answer to prevent other fuel line issues. You would have to replace the entire delivery system to "sign-off" the issues. Eventually your car will get slower and slower if just the pump is replaced; just a theory of course. It could explain why people have to make multiple trips and loads of time in the shop. Replacing the fuel pump does not exclude "time in the shop": I a willing to bet some owners have been in the shop over 60 days due to fuel line issues; there absolutely has to be legal accountability for this. The owners has to be willing to press a court case which many are. Do not think for one second an owner that has a car with this kind of a matter will not pursue to get his money back. These are the people that get things done...let me tell you...I'll bet when the papers get served, ACTUAL COMMUNICATIONS START between the client and BMW NA. Now if you choose not to do anything, that's just your business. Hopefully some good things will come out of a legal case:

1) You get money back
2) The car gets fully fixed
3) You simply get a replacement car
4) Your service manager gets an upgrade in training and customer awareness (that's short for lose bonus)
5) Nothing happens, but legal documentation and administration is available for future use to say "hey, look...this was a problem back then too"

So many people complain about there fuel pump, but do nothing in response...not even a complaint to the NHTSA. You're either part of the problem or part of the solution...what's it gonna be???
Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I didn't get the letter but my SA confirmed my '08 135 ( 06/08 build ) has the 10/120.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by quisp View Post
Oh Yeah, I forgot, the extended warranty also will have some impact on any potential Lemon Law cases. It does not rule out legal actions entirely though.

Here is something you might find interesting

http://www.petitiononline.com/fixpump/petition.html
And how does an extended warranty impact any potential lemon law cases? 4 failed repair attempts is 4 failed repair attempts. If the first HPFP failure occurs in the lemon law coverage period, all it takes is 3 more failed repair attempts (or whatever the state threshold is) and the car qualifies for a lemon law remedy.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 AM

I didnt say that it would stop Lemon Law cases due to the fuel pump, but I think it will have some affect on them and how the all important "repair ATTEMPT" is defined or written on the work order. One of the major keys to the lemon law case is they must atttempt to repair the problem, if they replace the part with a new one, then they did not repair the old one so how so is that a repair attempt and would that be defined by a court? I just think that this will make that area a little more grey than it already is.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, 525i
I know this has been discussed before, but I don't recall a definitive answer. If there was one, be kind to this fester, as I missed it. Do non-U.S. vehicles have the HPFP issue? Like vehicles driven in Canada, Europe, Australia, etc? I'm so fed up with BMWNA secretiveness surrounding this. Just give us the real scoop. We paid good $$ and deserve an answer. I can forgive a faulty HPFP, but their deceptive and secretive way of handling this is really making other brands look better. After three bimmers I may look elsewhere...but I'm limited as I don't care for rice burners.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodoc View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but I don't recall a definitive answer. If there was one, be kind to this fester, as I missed it. Do non-U.S. vehicles have the HPFP issue? Like vehicles driven in Canada, Europe, Australia, etc? I'm so fed up with BMWNA secretiveness surrounding this. Just give us the real scoop. We paid good $$ and deserve an answer. I can forgive a faulty HPFP, but their deceptive and secretive way of handling this is really making other brands look better. After three bimmers I may look elsewhere...but I'm limited as I don't care for rice burners.
Yes, they do have these problems in Europe. Germany, the UK, and Greece are specific country BMW forums I've visited and they all have posts about HPFP failures.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I have a cold misfire engine problem.
They reprogram the ECU, replaced the coil 4 and 5 , replaced injector 4th ....and i still have the same engine misfire problem!!! This is the third time in the shop in 2 weeks....They said they are replace all 6 injectors this time.....I will pick up the car wedensday to see if they really fix the problem....Also they scratch my leather seat too....I am little bit mad now....I called BMWNA to start the process if they can buy back my car....I also contact a lemon lawer in case BMWNA will not do the right thing...anyone have experience will the buyback process???

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 PM

I have not got the letter but i called BMWNA they said my car is part of bad fuel pump batch...I dont have a HPFP replaced yet....but I have many problem will engine misfire already!!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S62B50 Powered
Deleted, redundant.

Bruna
2000 M52TU E36/7 Z3 Roadster Schwartz*3 / Rogue RSM / Rogue Trans Mounts / E36M3 FCAB / Beisan VANOS Seals

BMWCCA #453648

Last edited by thekurgan; 11-30-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: ---
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by typev1020 View Post
I have a cold misfire engine problem.
They reprogram the ECU, replaced the coil 4 and 5 , replaced injector 4th ....and i still have the same engine misfire problem!!! This is the third time in the shop in 2 weeks....They said they are replace all 6 injectors this time.....I will pick up the car wedensday to see if they really fix the problem....Also they scratch my leather seat too....I am little bit mad now....I called BMWNA to start the process if they can buy back my car....I also contact a lemon lawer in case BMWNA will not do the right thing...anyone have experience will the buyback process???

Thanks
Welcome to the club.

August they had my car for 5 days to work on the navi.

End of September my 335i lit up like a Christmas tree with everything indicating a malfunction. A few days in the shop and they claimed it was an alignment issue.

6 weeks ago my car had a hard start problem, broken door actuators and a blank navi. They reflashed the ECU over a few days and replaced the actuators. Didn't work for the engine problems.

The car went back for 5 days and they changed my injectors. Problem persisted.

The car went back for 6 days and they replaced my HPFP. Engine malfunction the next day.

Back in the shop for 6 days and they replaced my turbos. Engine malfunction 9 days later.

Back in the shop for 5 days (at least), they're replacing the manifold right now.

I have an open case with BMW but my rep hasn't called me back yet (called on Friday and Monday). The car's a lemon and still covered by the original warranty.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM

WOW!! sound like this misfire is a commom problem.....and is not easy to fix.....
Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Welcome to the club.

August they had my car for 5 days to work on the navi.

End of September my 335i lit up like a Christmas tree with everything indicating a malfunction. A few days in the shop and they claimed it was an alignment issue.

6 weeks ago my car had a hard start problem, broken door actuators and a blank navi. They reflashed the ECU over a few days and replaced the actuators. Didn't work for the engine problems.

The car went back for 5 days and they changed my injectors. Problem persisted.

The car went back for 6 days and they replaced my HPFP. Engine malfunction the next day.

Back in the shop for 6 days and they replaced my turbos. Engine malfunction 9 days later.

Back in the shop for 5 days (at least), they're replacing the manifold right now.

I have an open case with BMW but my rep hasn't called me back yet (called on Friday and Monday). The car's a lemon and still covered by the original warranty.

This wound up being my problem. Fixed 15K miles ago and not a peep from the engine since.
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...37&postcount=1

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search