Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i E92
YES!! I was just about to post back soon. After over a week they had the car (second time), they first thought or had computer code that coil 3 was faulty, so they replaced it.. but the problem came back. Finally, they replaced ALL the coil packs and problem is gone for good!! Of course, Mike posted above and was right about the coils, but due to dealer incompetence they decided to focus on other issues thinking it will fix whatever my complaint was. What an annoyance this was but I'm glad it's fixed. Probably crappy low grade coils used sadly.

Last edited by event3horizon; 04-12-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 328i bmw 2007
Thanks event2horizon i didnt know what partts to order was thinking vanos sineloids but not any more found coils OEm on ebay all six for $230. Do you think I should change the spark plugs too? I got 79,532 miles
Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBmw1 View Post
Thanks event2horizon i didnt know what partts to order was thinking vanos sineloids but not any more found coils OEm on ebay all six for $230. Do you think I should change the spark plugs too? I got 79,532 miles
Good price. Dealer charge 320 for me for 5 (**** extended warranty paid for 1) but they didn't charge labor. I'm not a mechanic but I don't think changing plugs @ 80K miles is a bad idea. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 328i bmw 2007
Thanks for the reply i took my car to shelly bmw they had a free diagnostic cuopon on line took advantage before I ordered the parts it was a good thing too spoke to mechanic and he told me that my problem was the Vanos sineloids the computer showed 40 recorded spudders my coils have no record of any mis fire. The mechanic told to change the oil the first time with cheap oil then proceed with the regular oil change to take all the junk out because there is junk the like exhaust build up or possibly small metal fragmenst that cause the vanos sineloids to go bad. I purchased both of them genuine oem bmw parts for $260 shipped. Thank you for all your help event3horizon I will be working on my car this weekend since i dont have extended warranty.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM

Well yea, it seems like it could be either the solenoids or the coils. The difficult part on my car was that there was little electronic evidence of any problems.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
I have been having the same issues lately with mine. I have done a lot of research on this, because we connected the scanner to it, and to no surprise, no fault codes were in the system. If it were a spark plug or engine coil, it would at least shoot a CEL. We replaced the air filter, changed the oil (with the GOOD stuff), and oil filter. I seemed to notice a jump only when at a red light, or when the A/C was engaged. At 60k, it made me nervous because how can you fix something that you don't know is wrong. After searching and searching, I found a thread with a guy who was having the same problem. He replaced spark plugs, coils, blower motor, resistor, etc. None of which fixed the issue. He said in the end, it turned out to just be his battery. This makes sense, since these cars depend a lot on the sensors and such to function properly. Low and behold, I checked the battery and the indicator was black. Alternator was pumping out 14V, which I am assuming is keeping it alive. There is also slight corrosion. I am taking it to an import shop tomorrow to have it replaced, and possibly see if this fixes the issue. As for the VANOS, with what I have seen, I will be talking to him as well about this. From the videos I have watched, it looked like this cleared the situation too. I will keep you all informed and see if this fixes the issue.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 bmw 328i sport
Same problem on my 2007 328i. Random vibration and drop in TAC when car is stopped at a light. Problem is more apparent when A/C is on. NO CHECK ENGINE FAULT. My mechanic friend hocked up his scanner and found a intermittent misfire on cylinder #1 which corresponded exactly with the vibration and TAC drop. Replaced the coil on cylinder # 1, and the problem was solved. Curious why the BMW software did not fault the misfire.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichimy View Post
Same problem on my 2007 328i. Random vibration and drop in TAC when car is stopped at a light. Problem is more apparent when A/C is on. NO CHECK ENGINE FAULT. My mechanic friend hocked up his scanner and found a intermittent misfire on cylinder #1 which corresponded exactly with the vibration and TAC drop. Replaced the coil on cylinder # 1, and the problem was solved. Curious why the BMW software did not fault the misfire.
Cool man! Glad u fixed it. Was the coilpack drenched with oil? I think my packs failed b/c my valve cover gasket was leaking oil all along. A year after they replaced packs i was smelling burnt oil and saw visible smoke when starting the car. I replaced the gasket myself since i was out of warranty with some help it was a massive painful job but managed it and fixed that problem. During the process most of the packs were drenchdd with oil.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search