Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330xi
I checked with my local dealer... they have no active recalls showing for my car. So, either it hasn't hit their system yet, or it's not EVERY e46. They confirmed that letters will go out and are tracked by VIN, so it goes to the current owner.
Expansion Tank Replacement, DISA Valve upgrade, Headlight Washer Nozzles, Front Control Arms/Bushings/Ball Joints, Sway Bar End Links, Coolant System overhaul, Final Stage Resistor replacement, Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Seals, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter.

Upcoming Projects:
New Shocks/Springs
Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.0 Gasser
Go to a BMW dealer. Ask an advisor to do a key-read. That will show any open campaigns. Any decent dealer will do this key-read willingly and politely. The dealer gets paid to do recalls, the advisor is paid commission, and they also get to recommend other services while the car is in.
Stop guessing.
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, pulleys and tensioners, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, trans fluid change, steering guibo, rear wheel bearings and hubs,

2001 330 has left the building

X5 fun includes: Battery. Trans fluid change. Nav update. Idler pulley replacement. Steering fluid flush. Tension struts. Pressure lip seal. TCS fluid flush.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaria1 View Post
Go to a BMW dealer. Ask an advisor to do a key-read. That will show any open campaigns. Any decent dealer will do this key-read willingly and politely. The dealer gets paid to do recalls, the advisor is paid commission, and they also get to recommend other services while the car is in.
Stop guessing.
Right, or call with your VIN because many people do not live anywhere near a dealer. And if you have a title to your car, you'll get a letter. My father still gets letters from Ford for his 1997 F250.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 97 E36M/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadyn2021 View Post
So i had my tail lights fixed a few years back, now this.
When was the tail light recall? which E46s did they impact? I never got a letter for that one either...
Old 07-17-2014, 12:20 PM
TheMalibuMafia

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & ST 335i
That'd be nice if they had a recall like this for the passenger side in the M5's. That damn sensor on the seat of mine use to go on and off. But hasn't done it in a long time now that I think about it....

TheMalibuMafia.com

BMW 2006 M5 - REALLY LOUD
BMW 2007 335i. Single Turbo 6266.
Audi S4 2000 Stage 3 - Dat turbo spool - SOLD
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325xi, E46 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerized View Post
When was the tail light recall? which E46s did they impact? I never got a letter for that one either...
2011. This link has more info:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+ground+recall

I had already fixed my symptomatic tail light by adding a second ground path, but when I went to my dealer for the passenger side airbag recall last year (my car fell into the 2013 limited recall VIN range in Canada), they saw this as an outstanding recall and applied their fix to both sides. As said before, have your dealer run the VIN to see what recalls are pending for your vehicle.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i Sedan
So I called my dealership and they told me my 2003 325i's VIN didn't qualify for the recall or need it. Which is odd.

They also told me, that this recall is only for 06-09 models. So THAT'S INTERESTING.

They are also backed up to early September because because BMW NA is only letting them do 3 repairs per week, (her words were that BMW NA only are giving them enough parts to do 3 per week) and can only be done during mon-friday, since the repair can take up to six hours. I work during their service hours so we'll see.

I called BMW NA Cust relations, they know less than whats been released on the press.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
So I called my dealership and they told me my 2003 325i's VIN didn't qualify for the recall or need it. Which is odd.

They also told me, that this recall is only for 06-09 models. So THAT'S INTERESTING.

They are also backed up to early September because because BMW NA is only letting them do 3 repairs per week, (her words were that BMW NA only are giving them enough parts to do 3 per week) and can only be done during mon-friday, since the repair can take up to six hours. I work during their service hours so we'll see.

I called BMW NA Cust relations, they know less than whats been released on the press.
Your dealer is wrong from everything I've read This applies only to E46 cars.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 PM
The Boss of Nobody

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
I called the dealership here and they told me that we should recieve a letter by first class mail around the first week in august.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Sean David (has more rolls than a bakery)
Born 06-22-16
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM

I also called BMW NA customer relations, they also told me my vin has no recalls.

So my guess is they don't even know whats going on, their systems probably aren't updated yet with the full extent of the recall.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Apparently the Takata airbag sprays shrapnel into the cabin, at least according to this reference:
- BMW Recalls 1.6 Million Cars Over Air Bag Problems
Quote:
The passenger airbag doesn't inflate properly. That can lead to metal fragments shooting out of the airbag compartment, essentially spraying the interior of the vehicle with shrapnel.
For the record, here are some related recall links:
- How to report a BMW safety problem to the National Highway Traffic & Safety Administration for a product recall (1) and what E39 safety repair problems have already been reported to the NHTSA (1) & the safercar.gov recall search engine (1) & how to find out if your BMW is involved in a recall (1) (2) (3) (4)

See also:
- BMW to recall 1.6 million cars on concerns over Takata air bags
- BMW Joins Other Auto Makers in Replacing Defective Takata Part
- BMW recalling all 2000-06 3 Series models over airbags in US, 1.6M globally
- BMW Recalls 1.6 Million Cars Over Air Bag Problems
- BMW Recalls 156,000 Vehicles With 6-Cylinder Engines

Last edited by bluebee; 07-17-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 AM
#KeepFightingMichael

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci
How do they contact people who are not the first owner of the car?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula 1 View Post
How do they contact people who are not the first owner of the car?

they dont.

You have to call bmw na customer relations and update the ownership of the vin. they'll ask you for the last 7 digits
Old 07-18-2014, 12:42 PM
#KeepFightingMichael

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci
Quote:
they dont.

You have to call bmw na customer relations and update the ownership of the vin. they'll ask you for the last 7 digits

Just did that, thanks!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
I called.. Updated the vin info with mine.. So now waiting till mid august to see if my car is one of the recalled vins
Old 07-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBuster View Post
I called.. Updated the vin info with mine.. So now waiting till mid august to see if my car is one of the recalled vins
Guess I will be calling tomorrow then. What exactly do they ask for? Registration paper and VIN# correct?

TIAG 328I ZPP

DIYs: Vanos Oil line, Water Pump w/ Pulley, Radiator Hoses, Valve Cover Gasket, Belts, FSU/FSR, Rear Wheel Bearings, Sway Bar Links, NGK BKR6EQUP Spark Plugs, M1 0W-40 oil changes

Mods: V2.5 Angel Eyes
Old 07-18-2014, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarN View Post
Guess I will be calling tomorrow then. What exactly do they ask for? Registration paper and VIN# correct?

I just waited for the speak with a rep option.. After I just said I wanted to know if my vehicle was up for recall due to the recent airbag thing mentioned and that I wanted to update my info on my vehicle. All they ask is for full name, address, email if you want to add one where they will send you some info on future stuff and last 7 of vin.. You can have them check if there are any open recalls on your vehicle.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBuster View Post
I just waited for the speak with a rep option.. After I just said I wanted to know if my vehicle was up for recall due to the recent airbag thing mentioned and that I wanted to update my info on my vehicle. All they ask is for full name, address, email if you want to add one where they will send you some info on future stuff and last 7 of vin.. You can have them check if there are any open recalls on your vehicle.

Just did this. They were closed on Saturday (duhh) and I forgot yesterday.

TIAG 328I ZPP

DIYs: Vanos Oil line, Water Pump w/ Pulley, Radiator Hoses, Valve Cover Gasket, Belts, FSU/FSR, Rear Wheel Bearings, Sway Bar Links, NGK BKR6EQUP Spark Plugs, M1 0W-40 oil changes

Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 AM

Bump! Just so new members and anyone else that missed this thread knows about the recall.

TIAG 328I ZPP

Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
I was at a SF Bay Area dealership yesterday for pre paid maintenance on the X5 and asked about the recall. First, the SA said he knew nothing about it (not surprised), then he said that it was only some vehicles and not all. I asked him to look up my VIN and it came up with no recalls. Based on that I am not sure if it is all E46's.
The X5 will be going back for another maintenance dealio in the next 60 to 90 days so I'll ask again if I don't get a recall notice by that time.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 07-23-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
First, the SA said he knew nothing about it (not surprised),
What's shocking is how little the SAs actually know as, I've asked them questions that I later find out the answers to, which they SHOULD know.

So, the fact they say they don't know can only mean one of two things, neither of which is a good thing:
a) They're ignorant of the basics involved with their job, or,
b) They're telling a salesman-style fib.

There are no other options (do you know of any other reason)?

Anyway, I came here for a different purpose, that to give you guys a PDF that is an absolutely fantastic document, which describes how the BMW SRS system airbags are triggered and how they work (from BMW Marketing, no less), but with absolutely gorgeous pictures that anyone trying to better understand this problem can benefit from ...

See also:
- How do BMW Supplemental Restraint Systems (srs, airbag, bst, crush zones, etc.) really work (1) & what is the cheapest usable BMW airbag srs reset/scan tool on the net (1) & what other scan tools reset the fault (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what can cause a BMW SRS airbag light (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & a cn90 DIY for replacing the driver seat belt buckle pretensioner and the passenger seat emulator (1) (2) & where to obtain an airbag occupancy sensor bypass unit (0) (1) (2) & what happens when we disconnect the airbag before the battery or we connect the battery before disconnecting the airbag in seat and window regulator repairs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_srs_airbag_exploded_diagram_airbags.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	453456   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_srs_front_passenger_side_airbag.jpg
Views:	1624
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	453457  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_Marketing_everything_about_the_airbag_SRS_system.pdf (1.99 MB, 327 views)

Last edited by bluebee; 07-23-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Ive been to my bros house lousiana and I had never seen morning dew and humidity like that and this was in October. Although I think we had them beat here in Illinois today. I called BMW about the recall and the guy said notices should be arriving in the mail.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Here's a New York Times article, published this week, with details as to how we got here.

Takata and Honda reportedly knew about problems with Takata's airbags as early as 2004. After assuring BMW in 2010 that there was not a problem with airbags supplied to BMW, Takata changed its position and informed BMW in 2013 that the airbags might be susceptible to spraying metal fragments at their users.

Air Bag Flaw, Long Known to Honda and Takata, Led to Recalls
Old 09-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
Here's a New York Times article, published this week, with details as to how we got here.

Takata and Honda reportedly knew about problems with Takata's airbags as early as 2004. After assuring BMW in 2010 that there was not a problem with airbags supplied to BMW, Takata changed its position and informed BMW in 2013 that the airbags might be susceptible to spraying metal fragments at their users.

Air Bag Flaw, Long Known to Honda and Takata, Led to Recalls
So basically what they`re saying is that it`s like a .410 shotgun shell loaded with birdshot going off a foot away from your face....nice....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-12-2014, 10:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
Has to do with high humidity - so only states with high humidity (hopefully this is only for now, and will expand later...)
I am in NC - I think it's pretty humid here!
You're not kidding? How does humidity trigger this airbag defect?

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs, B&M short shifter, Zhp shift knob

2006 650i convertible in stratus gray

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2000-06 3 series airbags, 3 series airbag recall, bmw 3 series airbags, bmw airbag recall, bmw e46, e46 airbag recall

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search