Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 AM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
How does humidity trigger this airbag defect?
It's explained in the NYT article I posted above. The propellant is highly sensitive to contamination by moisture, which makes it unstable and prone to "overly energetic combustion." Some of the propellant was suspected to have been improperly stored at Takata's Mexican factory.

Humidity was just one of the suspects Takata investigated while they, Honda, and regulators dragged their feet in warning the public about the defect. Other theories included flaws in the propellant packaging process at a U.S. factory, as well as U.S. workers' circumvention of a QA/QC procedure that would have rejected substandard parts.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
I received the recall notice today and live I Massachusetts, they will send another notice when they have parts
Old 09-15-2014, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by STS42 View Post
I received the recall notice today and live I Massachusetts, they will send another notice when they have parts
I just got my recall notice today as well, and I live in California, so I guess they're going nationwide with it now.

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs, B&M short shifter, Zhp shift knob

2006 650i convertible in stratus gray
Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
I just got my recall notice today as well, and I live in California, so I guess they're going nationwide with it now.
I got the notice today as well.... (NJ)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
I still haven't received mine...

TIAG 328I ZPP

DIYs: Vanos Oil line, Water Pump w/ Pulley, Radiator Hoses, Valve Cover Gasket, Belts, FSU/FSR, Rear Wheel Bearings, Sway Bar Links, NGK BKR6EQUP Spark Plugs, M1 0W-40 oil changes

Mods: V2.5 Angel Eyes
Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
I got 2 in the mail today, and now I'm wondering why the guy I sold my car to in July didn't get the notice instead of me... A little VIN research is due I guess. He best have applied for a title...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STS42 View Post
Same here .....North Carolina. It must be expanding.

DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
From IL got mine today.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
See also:
- BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in 2000-06 3 Series, As a Precaution
Old 09-15-2014, 07:34 PM

See also:
- (E46) BMW airbag inflator recall
Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM

NY Times article on what happened.

Quote:
Between late 2001 and late 2002, workers at a Takata factory in Monclova, Mexico, had left out moisture-sensitive explosives on the plant floor, making them prone to “overly energetic combustion,”
Quote:
Takata engineers next linked the defect to its factory in Moses Lake, Wash. Between 2000 and 2002, a flaw in a machine that presses air bag explosives into wafers had made the explosives unstable
Quote:
In the following months, Takata engineers came up with yet another explanation for the ruptures: Beginning in September 2001, machine operators at the Moses Lake plant could have inadvertently switched off an “auto reject” function that weeded out poorly made explosives that can become unstable
Old 09-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325 XI
I'm in northern Ohio and I got my notice today. I'm kind of surprised, as I just bought the car on the memorial day weekend and licensed it 28 days later.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Has anyone actually had their questionable airbag replaced yet? I received the notice letter today, and it says that BMW NA does not have the parts yet, but will notify me when they become available.

Last edited by catso; 09-15-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325i
My SRS light came on last Monday. I had just had the car detailed and picked it up so I thought they had done something to my baby. Called the dealership (even with no active recalls) and they told me about this (could be why the light went off). Needless to say i'm taking it in Friday to get looked at!!

I'm in Ontario too btw ... i don't know if it's this specific recall but it would be a pretty big coincidence!

Last edited by Bimmer03e46; 09-15-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:08 AM

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
LOL Epic recall fail

Got the notice and it reads basically your cars effected by this recall but we dont have any parts to actually put on your car but if we do get some one day we will notify you again.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
LOL Epic recall fail

Got the notice and it reads basically your cars effected by this recall but we dont have any parts to actually put on your car but if we do get some one day we will notify you again.

Yea I saw this pretty embarrassing for bmw. Im sure a lawsuit can be file as you should be able to claim your car is unsafe to drive if you ever were in an accident.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
LOL Epic recall fail

I've actually gotten two from honda just like this in the past year. One for a fuel pump connection and one for a yaw sensor. Parts came in within 90 days. It may be standard practice when the parts aren't available in large quantities, vs. just a labor/supplies kind of fix.

My guess is that it is to try to limit liability by making the driver aware of a potentially unsafe condition, thereby spreading fault to a driver driving a known unsafe car.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 09-16-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto:
Unsafe if the manf. Made it unsafe of course with neglect to fully test product before placing it on the market. If I was a good lawyer, easy case to make.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:27 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwrenchBKL View Post
I'm in northern Ohio and I got my notice today. I'm kind of surprised, as I just bought the car on the memorial day weekend and licensed it 28 days later.
I guess it depends on when BMW pulled the data from various DMV resources, and how quickly (ha!) each DMV processes the title applications. I'm in NH and sold my car into Maine in July, and I still got the notice for the sold car. However, I bought my new E46 at the same time and I got the notice for that one too... So clearly BMW has current info for one car but not the other, sold at about the same time, but into different states.

I noticed that they include a little card to fill out the new owner's information, which I guess I'll have to do too. And clearly they recognize that many of these cars may have changed hands between when they pulled the data and when the mail is arriving.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Just got mine. Now we wait.

Does anyone know if they'll provide loaner cars?

TIAG 328I ZPP

DIYs: Vanos Oil line, Water Pump w/ Pulley, Radiator Hoses, Valve Cover Gasket, Belts, FSU/FSR, Rear Wheel Bearings, Sway Bar Links, NGK BKR6EQUP Spark Plugs, M1 0W-40 oil changes

Mods: V2.5 Angel Eyes
Old 09-16-2014, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Quote:
LOL Epic recall fail

Its just another way of saying " Were still trying to figure out whats the cheapest and safest way to fix yet another one of our failures.."

Just got mine today... Now we wait untill they stock up on airbags..
Old 09-16-2014, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarN View Post
Just got mine. Now we wait.

Does anyone know if they'll provide loaner cars?

I wanna get an M6 as a loaner...
Old 09-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 330 Ci
recall update - my take ...

Owned my car for 2 months, still got the recall - impressed, but called dealer and they said "4 weeks before they have parts - call back after you get letter saying parts are in .... "

SO, do I drive the car with no passenger and or the family for a month ...... or ?

Like all are saying a "Good or OK" lawyer should have a heyday with this recall -

one passenger in an accident in the next 4 weeks is going to make a Lawyer a millionaire!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 325i
Got mine today, Oregon. Had anyone called BMW to see if replacement can be installed by third party?

Volcano Red • M3 Bumpers, Fenders, Quarter panels • 19" 8.5ET35 225/35 | 9.5ET35 255/30 • Custom Quad Exhaust • Good old M54
Old 09-16-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
My guess is that it is to try to limit liability by making the driver aware of a potentially unsafe condition, thereby spreading fault to a driver driving a known unsafe car.
We don't have the recall in our Takata airbag explosive mixes, so presumably we won't get the shrapnel cutting out carotid arteries like you E46 guys will, but, for you guys, what are you supposed to do differently now that you know there is a potential danger?

Wear helmets?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2000-06 3 series airbags, 3 series airbag recall, bmw 3 series airbags, bmw airbag recall, bmw e46, e46 airbag recall

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search