Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
We don't have the recall in our Takata airbag explosive mixes, so presumably we won't get the shrapnel cutting out carotid arteries like you E46 guys will, but, for you guys, what are you supposed to do differently now that you know there is a potential danger?

Wear helmets?
Apparently drive another car if we want to avoid complicity. Of course, the easy fix is to not have anyone in the passenger seat during this time..... go limo style Or disconnect the passenger sensor on the seat. They won't have an airbag, but at least you can still use the car without fear of mutilation from the IED in the dash

The recall is expanding so don't count out the 39ers just yet!
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 09-17-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
Quote:
We don't have the recall in our Takata airbag explosive mixes, so presumably we won't get the shrapnel cutting out carotid arteries like you E46 guys will, but, for you guys, what are you supposed to do differently now that you know there is a potential danger?

Wear helmets?
> Full Body Armor <
For enjoying the ultimate combat zone
Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
I got the same notice. I laughed a little. "There is a recall, but sorry, we can't fix it yet."

I'm making my purse ride in the back seat, just to be safe.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-03-2014, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Anybody had there's fixed yet?

I just got my letter this week. Sure would be nice to know approximately when my car will be 'safe' to drive with a passenger again.

Oh, and as I'm in AZ, I guess that rules out the humidity theory

2014 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-spd manual

Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 03 325i
^just call and ask if they have the bags (i had mine replaced no issues ) took 45min they are probably assuming folks will call and will do them but officially have not given the green light (probably do not want a stampede)
Old 10-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by m123 View Post
^just call and ask if they have the bags (i had mine replaced no issues ) took 45min they are probably assuming folks will call and will do them but officially have not given the green light (probably do not want a stampede)
Thanks! I'll give them a call.

2014 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-spd manual

Old 10-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Oh, joy. After reviewing new test results from the airbag manufacturer, NHTSA is now urging owners of affected vehicles to get the airbags replaced immediately:

Defect in Takata Air Bags Prompts Urgent Warning to Drivers
Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 325i
So does airbag deploy without a cause? Is it limited to a specific manufacturer (Takata)?
Might as well remove that sucker

Volcano Red M3 Bumpers, Fenders, Quarter panels 19" 8.5ET35 225/35 | 9.5ET35 255/30 Custom Quad Exhaust Good old M54
Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
BMW sent me the recall letter which stated in part that they did not have the airbags in stock, but I'd be contacted as soon as they were. Well, I waited for a month without any further contact. Laat week I went to the dealership to buy some new wiper blade inserts, and while I was there asked a service rep when he thought the bags would be in. He said they were available, and made me an appointment to have them replaced today. So DON'T WAIT FOR BMW TO CONTACT YOU. Sorry Bob, I know I'm shouting.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM

And while they had my car, they washed and vacuumed it, and adjusted the parking brake for free! Kudos to Clif at BMW of Bellevue.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishful Thinking View Post
And while they had my car, they washed and vacuumed it, and adjusted the parking brake for free! Kudos to Clif at BMW of Bellevue.
Cliff is the best SA there, by far. Love his piercings and grooming, too. (although it's totally not me.)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Cliff is the best SA there, by far. Love his piercings and grooming, too. (although it's totally not me.)
Today his lime green tie matched the cashier's fingernail polish. Hmmmmm.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i sport wagon
Bought my car a about 2 weeks ago. Looked up recalls a few days later. Airbag's getting replaced on the 27th.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto: 325i Sedan
got mine done last week took about a 10 days for the airbag to arrive here in Hawaii at Honolulu BMW, they had it for about 6 hours since I was about 25th in line for the day. Can't complain they dropped me off then picked me up which is about 20 miles 1 way, and returned it washed and vacuumed out. Not bad for a $0 cost repair

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Meyle Control Arms/FCABS
OFHG/New Alternator/Pullys
Koni Yellows/Eibach Sportlines
Brembo Rotors/OEM Pads/SS Brake Lines
CCV
VCG/Plugs
18" Wheels
Old 10-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Now you can spend an afternoon polishing the swirl marks they left on your paint. I always ask for no wash, they don't always comply.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:39 AM
Rambling Wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
I always ask for no wash, they don't always comply.
In addition to asking your Service Advisor to not wash the car, place a large note that reads "PLEASE DO NOT WASH" in the cabin - preferably on the dashboard or the steering wheel. This polite visual reminder helps to keep our cars out of the dealer's wash bay.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 AM
Team Zippy

Mein Auto: 2000 328Ci
I never received a letter, so I called BMWUSA yesterday and they said to call the local parts department to see if they have the new air bags in stock and to schedule a replacement from there. I'll get it done, but I like a piece of paper with a letterhead to avoid any hassles.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
I just called my "local" dealer and they do have the parts in stock. Also verified that my VIN was part of the recall, I guess not all '01 - '04 E46 are affected.

Anyway I am just confirming for others that, while I haven't gotten a second letter, they do have parts and I was able to get an appointment. I figure, the sooner the better.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
The recall is expanding so don't count out the 39ers just yet!
For the record, I just opened a thread to figure out specifically WHY the E39's aren't (apparently) affected:
- Why exactly are the E39 airbags NOT involved in the massive Takata SRS airbag recall?
Quote:
This thread is opened simply to answer the specific question of why exactly are our E39 airbags NOT involved in the BMW recall of shrapnel-producing Takata airbags (especially the E39s manufactured in late 2001, like mine, and early 2002)?

For background, the canonical E46 thread on the Takata airbag recall is:
- BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in 2000-06 3 Series, As a Precaution (06-28-2014)

Here's a revealing post from that canonical thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
It's explained in the NYT article I posted above. The propellant is highly sensitive to contamination by moisture, which makes it unstable and prone to "overly energetic combustion." Some of the propellant was suspected to have been improperly stored at Takata's Mexican factory.

Humidity was just one of the suspects Takata investigated while they, Honda, and regulators dragged their feet in warning the public about the defect. Other theories included flaws in the propellant packaging process at a U.S. factory, as well as U.S. workers' circumvention of a QA/QC procedure that would have rejected substandard parts.
Quote:
NY Times article on what happened.

Quote:
Between late 2001 and late 2002, workers at a Takata factory in Monclova, Mexico, had left out moisture-sensitive explosives on the plant floor, making them prone to "overly energetic combustion,"
Quote:
Takata engineers next linked the defect to its factory in Moses Lake, Wash. Between 2000 and 2002, a flaw in a machine that presses air bag explosives into wafers had made the explosives unstable
Quote:
In the following months, Takata engineers came up with yet another explanation for the ruptures: Beginning in September 2001, machine operators at the Moses Lake plant could have inadvertently switched off an "auto reject" function that weeded out poorly made explosives that can become unstable
Given the information above, it seems confusing which things are involved, but some of the culprits are: ((1) the brand of the airbags (Takata) and (2) the origination and date of the explosive mix (Mexico, Washington) and (3) the registered location of the car (high humidity states) seems to be the key factors in deciding which car to recall.

Which of those factors above don't we have on the E39?
a. Takata?
b. Mexico/Washington?
c. Time frame?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_takata_recall.jpg
Views:	4967
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	471601  

Last edited by bluebee; 10-23-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:29 AM

BTW, apparently this isn't a "recall", but a "field action", according to this article today ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fieldaction.jpg
Views:	4348
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	472290  
Old 10-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Rambling Wreck

Other manufacturers may be treating this fiasco as a "field action," but BMW is indeed treating it as a recall. The notice that has gone out via mail to E46 owners is labeled "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL," and the first line states, "This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act."

BMW's recall campaign also comes up in a search of NHTSA's recall database.

Last edited by G. P. Burdell; 10-26-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Had the airbag replaced yesterday. I asked the service advisor who manufactures the replacement units and it was fairly obvious that (1) no one had asked before and (2) he had not idea but (3) he said he would find out.
He was MIA when I picked up the car so never got to verify (3) for sure and he's not replying to voice mails.
Anyone here know?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
Other manufacturers may be treating this fiasco as a "field action," but BMW is indeed treating it as a recall.
That's good, because that would mean (a) all states, not just high-humidity states, are covered, and (b) that they attempt to reach you more thoroughly, and (c) that they report back to the NHTSA more details.

If they're doing all that, then, yes, they're treating it as a "recall".
Old 10-30-2014, 06:22 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
If they're doing all that, then, yes, they're treating it as a "recall".
It even has a recall campaign assigned: 14V-428

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...tsa_ids=14V428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:10 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Had the airbag replaced yesterday. I asked the service advisor who manufactures the replacement units and it was fairly obvious that (1) no one had asked before and (2) he had not idea but (3) he said he would find out.
He was MIA when I picked up the car so never got to verify (3) for sure and he's not replying to voice mails.
Anyone here know?
Very good question...........

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2000-06 3 series airbags, 3 series airbag recall, bmw 3 series airbags, bmw airbag recall, bmw e46, e46 airbag recall

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search