Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335 Coupe LCI
Recalled passeger airbag issue

Hi all i know this issue has been covered before, but i didn't know about it! Anyway i took my car to the stealer's for a service. Good job i did otherwise i would have been non the wiser. I only decided to keep the full service history going at the last minute! Anyway my question is why didn't the stealer's send me a letter so i could have had my airbag changed a lot sooner. Has anyone else had the same issue with them?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Need for Speed

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
The dealerships don't want a stamped of customers, plus I read online somewhere that there is a shortage of airbags as BMW is not the only car company with this problem. Glad you got it sorted and replaced. I have yet to do mine.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 AM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
A couple of recent developments:
Old 11-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Long thread on this airbag recall already. BMW sent the letter, it was misleading because it said owners would be notified when parts were available. That second notice never happened but the parts are there.
Now why would you expect the dealer to notify you? If I'm a dealer and I have a specific budget for marketing, why would I spend it on customers with cars that are 8 to 15 years old, many of whom I have not seen since the moment the warranty expired and most of whom no longer own the car. The communication falls on BMW, not the dealer in this case.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob325_in_AZ View Post
Anybody had there's fixed yet?

I just got my letter this week. Sure would be nice to know approximately when my car will be 'safe' to drive with a passenger again.

Oh, and as I'm in AZ, I guess that rules out the humidity theory
Recently contacted the chapman (I am in AZ too), and they said they still don't have parts and would call in 3 weeks when parts arrive. I've been waiting to replace it.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
There's a new problem, found today, but it doesn't affect BMW (yet) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Looks like Takata reported ANOTHER (different) problem with their airbags, which were manufactured with a wrong part installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	takata.jpg
Views:	4200
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	473677  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-02-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 AM

I don't remember if it was posted already, but here's the official BMW letter ...
- BMW-confirmation-letter_Takata-RCDNN-14V348-2345.pdf

Here's a low-res screenshot of that PDF, but, a key point is that I don't see the "legal" word "recall" anywhere in this particular formal letter.

Last edited by bluebee; 11-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Rambling Wreck

Quote:
Here's a low-res screenshot of that PDF, but, a key point is that I don't see the "legal" word "recall" anywhere in this particular formal letter.
The letter you posted is stamped with the campaign number 14V-348, which according to NHTSA's recall database was initiated in June 2014. It is a far smaller action related to 11,600 cars in high-humidity areas.

The broader campaign for which we have all received recall letters was initiated about a month after campaign 14V-348. This campaign is numbered 14V-428 and affects nearly 574,000 vehicles throughout the United States. The phrases "safety recall" and "recall campaign" can be found throughout the NHTSA-archived correspondence related to campaign 14V-428. BMW's four-page letter dated July 15 references the smaller campaign in high-humidity areas, though not by number.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto:
I'm taking mine in for the recall next week. I did get a letter informing me of the recall but no follow up as to when they would be available. But after all the news coverage, I decided to go to the dealer and just inquire about it. And wouldn't you know it, it was available on a first-come, first-served basis. The service rep said they weren't actively notifying people because they didn't want a mad rush of cars to fix. I was a little shocked at the statement. Some sort of notice would have been nice.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
The airbag failures seem to be concentrated mostly in areas with a predominantly a hot & humid climate, so they`re concentrating their efforts for replacement in those areas first....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 11-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 320i xDrive
I called the dealer when I received the notice a few weeks ago but these days the waiting is six weeks for service and no loaner available either.
2015 320i XDrive Sport Line Pkg, Navigation Pkg, Connected Drive w/ ARTTI, Mineral White Metallic, Black Dakota Leather
Old 11-04-2014, 07:51 PM

If any of you get a chance, can you snap a picture of the problematic airbags so we can determine what the markings look like for those made in the problematic Mexico and Utah facilities?

Here's what we're looking at on the E39, so far, from this thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Why exactly are the E39 airbags NOT involved in the massive Takata SRS airbag recall?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfs021 View Post
Well I checked my airbags.
Thank you very much for checking your 2002 540i airbag manufacturer for the team!

Looking a bit closely at your photos, your passenger side airbag picture seem to show a "TRW Alfdorf" airbag.

- TRW Safety Systems, Airbags

However, your steering wheel airbag is clearly Takata.

Your steering wheel airbag appears to indicate the name "Sachsen":

Sachsen appears to be in Germany:

What worries me a little bit is the Herstellar Inflation Systems (Georgia, USA), also on that steering wheel airbag tag.

"Herstellar" doesn't appear to be a German city, nor a German word.
All my searches for "Herstellar" in "Georgia" boomerang right back as "Takata":

But, we know that "Inflation Systems" is (apparently) an affected facility (which touts that they were permitted in only 45 days!)

Is the "Herstellar Inflation Systems (Georgia, USA)" the same as the "Inflation Systems" in Moses Lake?
I certainly hope not, since Moses Lake, Washington is one of the implicated sites (along with a site in Monclova, Mexico).

Last edited by bluebee; 11-04-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:22 AM
Rambling Wreck

Quote:
If any of you get a chance, can you snap a picture of the problematic airbags so we can determine what the markings look like for those made in the problematic Mexico and Utah facilities?
I don't have any photos to share, but in the photo of the steering wheel airbag, the heading "Hersteller" (not "herstellar") is the German word for manufacturer. So the company name is not Hersteller Inflation Systems; it is simply Inflation Systems.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
I'm having mine replaced next Wednesday, I can try to get a detailed pic if the service guys are willing.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Need for Speed

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
I'm having mine replaced next Wednesday, I can try to get a detailed pic if the service guys are willing.
Great, today I called the service department at my local dealership and they put me on a waiting list. They told me they will call when they have the parts, they are still waiting for them.
'05 Mazda Tribute s AWD - 118,000 miles
Old 11-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Function over fashion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Great, today I called the service department at my local dealership and they put me on a waiting list. They told me they will call when they have the parts, they are still waiting for them.
... yeah ...about that. Update from my local dealer is that they ran out of parts and don't know when they'll have more. So I went from being proactive and making an appointment as soon as I could fit it in my schedule, to having no appointment and being on a "we'll call you" list. I don't use these stupid icons much but really, all I can say is:

It's like the Seinfeld with the rental car agency:

I'm sorry sir we don't have a car available.
Do you have my reservation?
Yes right here.
Do you understand what a reservation is for?
Yes of course sir.
I'm not sure that you do!

I'm sure they expected to get a shipment of more parts but didn't. It still pisses me off.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to wdaveweaver Send a message via Yahoo to wdaveweaver
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
The airbag failures seem to be concentrated mostly in areas with a predominantly a hot & humid climate, so they`re concentrating their efforts for replacement in those areas first....
Yup like here in Houston, TX. Got mine replaced last week, no wait.

Old 11-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Function over fashion

Q&A from BMW

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but this is a very detailed Q&A that the dealer sent me. It answers a lot of questions that people have been asking in this thread and others, and some that haven't been asked. It's worth a read if you're unclear on any aspect of this recall, the differences between the various campaigns and timing of same, which cars (and how many) are included in what; as I said it's quite thorough.

tl;dr - if you have a question about this recall, I practically guarantee it's answered in the attached PDF. Which is 7 pages long and you should read it.

Happy Friday night!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airbag Recall B651714_QA.pdf (64.7 KB, 288 views)

Last edited by 1972ford; 11-07-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Rambling Wreck

Former Takata employees say company executives ordered data and potential fixes destroyed in 2004, after three months of secret testing and development.

Takata Saw and Hid Risk in Airbags in 2004, Workers Say
Old 11-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
the heading "Hersteller" (not "herstellar") is the German word for manufacturer. So the company name is not Hersteller Inflation Systems; it is simply Inflation Systems.
That makes sense, since "Inflation Systems" kept coming up when I googled for "Herstellar Inflation Systems".

Thanks for clarifying.
See also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
Bluebee, "Hersteller" means "producer" or "manufacturer." "Einführer" means "importer." So the "Gas Generator" was made in Georgia by "Inflations Systems, Inc." and imported by Takata in the Land, or equivalent of "state" of "Sachsen," or "Saxony" in English, and the town of Elterlein. Thus, "Takata (Sachsen) GmbH". By the way GmbH is the equivalent of "incorporated." It means "Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung."

For instance, Hannover is in the state of Niedersachsen, or "Lower Saxony."
Old 11-07-2014, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaveweaver View Post
Yup like here in Houston, TX. Got mine replaced last week, no wait.
And yet up in the PA mountains my dealer got it in two days when he put in the order for my car. Go figure
Old 11-08-2014, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto:
No Go On Airbag

Just got a call from dealer and had to cancel my appointment because they wouldn't be getting their shipment as scheduled. It was for the drivers side airbag and now I have to worry about the passenger side too. Funny how they didn't tell me about that one when they looked up my vehicle vin #.

Last edited by Dokebi25; 11-08-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Rambling Wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokebi25 View Post
Just got a call from dealer and had to cancel my appointment because they wouldn't be getting their shipment as scheduled. It was for the drivers side airbag and now I have to worry about the passenger side too. Funny how they didn't tell me about that one when they looked up my vehicle vin #.
Since you mentioned that you're waiting for your driver's airbag to be replaced, is your car one of those 12,000 or so that are covered under BMW's "special technical campaign" in Florida, Hawaii and Puerto Rico?
Old 11-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto:
No. I'm in Virginia.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Everything I have read about the Takata airbags in regards to the E46 has been about the passenger side. Not heard of a recall for the driver's side.

Do you have an NHTSA campaign number?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2000-06 3 series airbags, 3 series airbag recall, bmw 3 series airbags, bmw airbag recall, bmw e46, e46 airbag recall

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search