Want to get rid of your CVV ? Read this.... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-02-2015, 07:30 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Want to get rid of your CVV ? Read this....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=601440

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 AM

Mein Auto: 740il
E 46 ccv

What is the purpose for the ccv?
Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke McCollum View Post
What is the purpose for the ccv?
Back in the days before anybody worried about air pollution, cars just vented their crankcase vapors right into the atmosphere. Later on, engineers came up with the PCV valve, which gave a higher level of emissions control. Most PCV valves were simple, inexpensive, and easy to replace.

BMW, of course, had to show the world that they could devise their own version, and in typical German fashion, constructed it in the most difficult way humanly possible, and then stuck it way up underneath the intake, so you would need hands like a 6 year-old child or a Spider Monkey to get to it. (Don`t ask WHY....that`s just the way they are....)

Theoretically, at least, the BMW CVV should work quite effectively (the valve itself separates the vapors, which are returned to the combustion chamber, and the liquid oil gets directed back down to the sump). All of this is assuming that the system functions properly.But, all the plastic parts and hoses become brittle with age, and tend to crack and leak.

Failure of the CVV (which is pretty much inevitable) leads to oil being mis-directed into the intake, leading to excessive oil consumption and smoking. Not a pretty story.

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-14-2016, 01:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
And burning excessive amounts of oil will foul the catalytic converters.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:05 AM

Mein Auto: 740il
Thank you! So a delete won't hurt the car then?
Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke McCollum View Post
Thank you! So a delete won't hurt the car then?
Not at all....

Old 04-14-2016, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 328xi
Quick question I find it hard to get any awnser when I post so sorry to use yours but I have 2006 BMW 325ix and it either needs a new head gasket or cvv any idea whitch one would cost more to have fixed?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto:
The head gasket by far!
Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpost5 View Post
Quick question I find it hard to get any awnser when I post so sorry to use yours but I have 2006 BMW 325ix and it either needs a new head gasket or cvv any idea whitch one would cost more to have fixed?
Also, your car is an E90, this is the E46 Forum. The cars are significantly different....Try the E90 Forum.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325CI
I put this post up a little while ago so hopefully you can help me.

Hello everyone! I have read the CCV post before and am going to use it as an amazing guide, I have another car so am going to start this today and take my time.

Symptoms: last year around October (it has sat in the driveway since) after I replaced the starter which went out and had to take out the intake manifold dice the bolts stripped and I couldn't get it out from under the car after I got it running it was chugging like a train. I drove it around for quite a while thinking it was nothing but after a couple hundred miles it stayed the same. It only chugged hard on idle when I was stopped somewhere but once I got it going, especially like highway speed or something the car seemed perfectly fine. I got it smoke tested by a friend and he told me he saw smoke come out but didn't know exactly where but with the symptoms I gave and the things I did to my car he said I should replace the CCV.

My questions are: since I am going to do this, what else should I replace around the same area or if anything else could cause the issue what could it be or what should I replace?

Work done to car: replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. New starter. 4 out of 6 coil packs died and replaced. New Bosch plugs. (All last year).

Hopefully you guys can give me some insight and a little help! Thank you!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:33 PM

Anyone?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:48 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Anyone?
If you`re not capable of doing diagnostic work yourself (or any friends), you`re gonna have to take it somewhere that knows these cars inside out. Here`s two fairly local to you, that have generated good reviews in the past:

http://www.bimmerclinic.com/word/

https://maximumpsi.com/

Old 04-17-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanks I guess I can look into that.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:01 PM

I'm almost done with the CVV. Thanks so much to this guide it wasn't as bad as I thought. Just one question right now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1461103156.120278.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	559836

Does anyone know where this hose that's right in the middle of the screen connects to? I connected the Cvv lit up and even put back the throttle body and forgot about this piece and have no idea where it goes. It has one of those squish tabs on the top left of the screen and its slipped to the car itself near the bottom right. This is all I need to finish this project up. Lmao. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2016, 03:24 PM

The one that's going across the screen from right to top left.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:55 PM
E36 addict since 1992

Mein Auto: 1993 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I put this post up a little while ago so hopefully you can help me.

Hello everyone! I have read the CCV post before and am going to use it as an amazing guide, I have another car so am going to start this today and take my time.

Symptoms: last year around October (it has sat in the driveway since) after I replaced the starter which went out and had to take out the intake manifold dice the bolts stripped and I couldn't get it out from under the car after I got it running it was chugging like a train. I drove it around for quite a while thinking it was nothing but after a couple hundred miles it stayed the same. It only chugged hard on idle when I was stopped somewhere but once I got it going, especially like highway speed or something the car seemed perfectly fine. I got it smoke tested by a friend and he told me he saw smoke come out but didn't know exactly where but with the symptoms I gave and the things I did to my car he said I should replace the CCV.

My questions are: since I am going to do this, what else should I replace around the same area or if anything else could cause the issue what could it be or what should I replace?

Work done to car: replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. New starter. 4 out of 6 coil packs died and replaced. New Bosch plugs. (All last year).

Hopefully you guys can give me some insight and a little help! Thank you!

Sounds to me like some sort of vacuum leak! There are a few vacuum lines underneath the intake that are prone to cracking from heat cycle and age. I would certainly try to replace all (a good preventative maintenance) since some, if not all, are probably leaking after your previous engine work.

Replacing hoses are fairly cheap and a great way to introduce (some) lost power to your vehicle!
Old 06-22-2016, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325xi
I was wondering if the CCV doesn't last that long and is hard to remove/replace why just relocate it outside of the intake manifold by using longer hoses? I think it's way better than using catch can or isn't?

--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diybmwe46
Old 06-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnshibuya View Post
I was wondering if the CCV doesn't last that long and is hard to remove/replace why just relocate it outside of the intake manifold by using longer hoses? I think it's way better than using catch can or isn't?

No, it`s not better....the CVV is the answer to a question that never should have been asked in the first place. "In a perfect world", it might work OK, but this is far from a perfect world....

Old 06-22-2016, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
No, it`s not better....the CVV is the answer to a question that never should have been asked in the first place. "In a perfect world", it might work OK, but this is far from a perfect world....
is this like a design only for the e46 (or any m54 engine)? were the new models still has this over engineered design ?

Old 06-22-2016, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Want to get rid of your CVV ? Read this....

The crappy design rears its ugly head when it's installed in the 3 liter M54 engine (M54B30). Why? This engine, and only this engine, has low tension oil control rings (LTOCRs). All other M54 engines-2 liter and 2.5 liter-have standard oil control rings.

Why does the M54B30 engine have LTOCRs? Fuel economy is the accepted reason. The problem is that LTOCRs require a constant and consistent crankcase vacuum. The CCV is supposed to provide that vacuum. While the CCV is apparently ok for the other engines, it's inadequate for the M54B30 engine. Hence, these engines burn oil.

I believe this CCV design is common to the M52 and M54 engines only. However, the only M54B30 engine has the LTOCRs. That's why the CCV needs to be replaced with an oil catch can. It works, relatively inexpensive and easily installed system.

Last edited by marcozandrini; 06-22-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 bmw 328i E46
Why would water/condensation be coming thru the top of my vavle cover where the ccv line hooks up?? It's a 2000 bmw 328i E46
Old 09-18-2016, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i Titansilber
My guess would be that the lines are not sealed well. It should be sealed tight. If it is indeed water vapor it could be too much blow by gasses that contain water vapor as a natural part of hydrocarbon burning byproduct. My guess is that it is not actually water vapor.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2012 M3
Awesome, thanks!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein. Trevon AKA Mini
Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Mein Auto: 05 325i
Is this why i 325's go through catalytic converters?
I live in CA and smog testing is a big deal will this effect my smog test?
Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
Hello all! Might be a dumb question but I own a 2003 bmw z4. I was wondering if this mod would work for me. I still have the same m54b25 engine, I just don't have power steering like you guys.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search