Used Car Concerns - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2016, 01:04 AM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Used Car Concerns

I recently bought a 2012 328i convertible from Carmax. I'm still in my 5 day return period. It has 20k miles and has a clean Carfax and Autocheck report. I took it to my trusted mechanic who specializes in European cars and they found some things that concern me. Bad motor mount, left front camber misaligned (-.78 degrees) which requires a new strut and knuckle, and some iffy body work that looks like dent/scrap patching. In addition the rear is misaligned but can be adjusted and the right front tire is bad (not too concerned with those). There appears to be no frame damage or any other mechanical issues. So, are these issues severe enough to return the car? Mechanic estimates $2500 to repair all but I'm more concerned with more underlying issues.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-04-2016, 01:59 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8,331
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
I recently bought a 2012 328i convertible from Carmax. I'm still in my 5 day return period. It has 20k miles and has a clean Carfax and Autocheck report. I took it to my trusted mechanic who specializes in European cars and they found some things that concern me. Bad motor mount, left front camber misaligned (-.78 degrees) which requires a new strut and knuckle, and some iffy body work that looks like dent/scrap patching. In addition the rear is misaligned but can be adjusted and the right front tire is bad (not too concerned with those). There appears to be no frame damage or any other mechanical issues. So, are these issues severe enough to return the car? Mechanic estimates $2500 to repair all but I'm more concerned with more underlying issues.

Obvious crash damage and prob owner's reason to sell/trade. Was that disclosed? I'd turn that sucker right back in....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2016, 03:46 AM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
None of this was disclosed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2016, 07:01 AM
N55 RULES N55 RULES is offline
Registered User
Location: Sterling, VA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 68
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335 XDRIVE MSpor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
I recently bought a 2012 328i convertible from Carmax. I'm still in my 5 day return period. It has 20k miles and has a clean Carfax and Autocheck report. I took it to my trusted mechanic who specializes in European cars and they found some things that concern me. Bad motor mount, left front camber misaligned (-.78 degrees) which requires a new strut and knuckle, and some iffy body work that looks like dent/scrap patching. In addition the rear is misaligned but can be adjusted and the right front tire is bad (not too concerned with those). There appears to be no frame damage or any other mechanical issues. So, are these issues severe enough to return the car? Mechanic estimates $2500 to repair all but I'm more concerned with more underlying issues.
It depends. I would certainly expect more from Carmax. Their prices are high but might be justifiable if you get a pristine car. All the problems you mentioned while disappointing, can be cured with replacement parts...money, as oposed to the car never having the oil changed for example. I would probably return it unless the color and equipment package you'be selected are exceptionally rare. Also if you have the patience I would buy elsewhere. This car has probably been in an accident.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 AM
cybermgm23 cybermgm23 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: 2011 328i e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
I recently bought a 2012 328i convertible from Carmax. I'm still in my 5 day return period. It has 20k miles and has a clean Carfax and Autocheck report. I took it to my trusted mechanic who specializes in European cars and they found some things that concern me. Bad motor mount, left front camber misaligned (-.78 degrees) which requires a new strut and knuckle, and some iffy body work that looks like dent/scrap patching. In addition the rear is misaligned but can be adjusted and the right front tire is bad (not too concerned with those). There appears to be no frame damage or any other mechanical issues. So, are these issues severe enough to return the car? Mechanic estimates $2500 to repair all but I'm more concerned with more underlying issues.
Take it back and run! Remember, it's only a car, not a child.
__________________
2011 328i Sedan (S. Africa) Jet Black / Black
Premium, Cold Weather, HK sound, N52K.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2016, 08:44 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8,331
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 RULES View Post
It depends. I would certainly expect more from Carmax. Their prices are high but might be justifiable if you get a pristine car. All the problems you mentioned while disappointing, can be cured with replacement parts...money, as oposed to the car never having the oil changed for example. I would probably return it unless the color and equipment package you'be selected are exceptionally rare. Also if you have the patience I would buy elsewhere. This car has probably been in an accident.

Carmax: Used car dealer with a slick, slick approach. Buyer beware!

Front camber not adjustable - that far out, a result of big damage. Broom this vendor, fast!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Isn't the camber spec on these from -0.7 degrees to +0.1 degrees?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Amish Bimmer Amish Bimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: e46, e93, e60
Walk away. Back out. At the doorway, run....run like the wind. There's thousands out there....you'll find it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-04-2016, 10:20 AM
cybermgm23 cybermgm23 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 95
Mein Auto: 2011 328i e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
Isn't the camber spec on these from -0.7 degrees to +0.1 degrees?
Front camber not adjustable.
__________________
2011 328i Sedan (S. Africa) Jet Black / Black
Premium, Cold Weather, HK sound, N52K.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2016, 02:46 PM
automaticftp automaticftp is offline
Registered User
Location: Louisville, CO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Turn it in.

AmishBimmer is exactly correct - there are thousands of cars out there. This is NOT the one.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-04-2016, 02:51 PM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8,331
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
Isn't the camber spec on these from -0.7 degrees to +0.1 degrees?


Naw. That's a wildly wide range. 'Sides which, front not adjustable like the gentleman says.

Rear camber is adjustable.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Naw. That's a wildly wide range. 'Sides which, front not adjustable like the gentleman says.

Rear camber is adjustable.

Yeah, I was looking at rear. Front is all or nothing. I'm giving CarMax the opportunity to fix everything. Then I'll decide whether I keep it. I'm not going to find another e9x with those miles so I'll end up moving on to some other model. No interest in the 2013 or newer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-04-2016, 05:27 PM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 8,331
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
Yeah, I was looking at rear. Front is all or nothing. I'm giving CarMax the opportunity to fix everything. Then I'll decide whether I keep it. I'm not going to find another e9x with those miles so I'll end up moving on to some other model. No interest in the 2013 or newer.

Advice: Don't

They burned ya like any other used car salesmen. Their philosophy: don't bother to inspect, just sell baby sell - if it comes back fix it, if it don't, great!

Experience shows that when something like this happens, your response won't change their behavior. Chalk it up and use the option. Deep six 'em.

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 06-05-2016 at 06:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-04-2016, 06:35 PM
automaticftp automaticftp is offline
Registered User
Location: Louisville, CO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
I'm not going to find another e9x with those miles so I'll end up moving on to some other model.
That should be the "tell" that there was something wrong with it. In this case, a lot wrong with it, to say nothing of the damage and problems it has that you haven't found yet.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 PM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Well, after inspecting the car the dealer says the mount and strut are fine. So, the car is theirs again. But wait! They sold my trade in already so now I have no car and had to pay off my negative equity cash. Lesson learned - Take the car to your mechanic before you buy. I'm sending a friend there to test drive the car to another local certified mechanic to get a 3rd opinion just for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-09-2016, 08:08 PM
JarrodS JarrodS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE USA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 2012 E93 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
None of this was disclosed.
Yikes. Just bought the wife a '13 C250 there last week and was happy with the experience. We did NOT get it to the MB dealer before our 5-day return period, but the CarFax was clean and we WILL get it there before the 30-day warranty runs out. Best of luck.

Last edited by JarrodS; 06-09-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-2016, 04:39 AM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodS View Post
Yikes. Just bought the wife a '13 C250 there last week and was happy with the experience. We did NOT get it to the MB dealer before our 5-day return period, but the CarFax was clean and we WILL get it there before the 30-day warranty runs out. Best of luck.

CarMax is unlikely to fix anything not under a normal extended warranty during the 30 day period. I would definitely get it to a trusted mechanic quickly and back to CarMax if there any issues.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-2016, 07:26 AM
OKI335 OKI335 is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: 335i
Camax never ever will I go there send anyone there. Will do my best to tell folks just what kind on people they are there.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 AM
sleeper22 sleeper22 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lexington KY
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2009 328i Tasman Green
CarMax is too high and a no haggle price. Screw you CarMax. How do they stay in business when their prices are too high to begin with? The only reason I will go there is to test drive a car(s) and they are likely to have a couple of makes and models I am interested in for comparison. Is that bad hehe?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper22 View Post
CarMax is too high and a no haggle price. Screw you CarMax. How do they stay in business when their prices are too high to begin with? The only reason I will go there is to test drive a car(s) and they are likely to have a couple of makes and models I am interested in for comparison. Is that bad hehe?

Issues not withstanding, I felt I got a very good deal from CarMax. Couldn't find a similar car at another dealer or private seller at that price.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper22 View Post
CarMax is too high and a no haggle price. Screw you CarMax. How do they stay in business when their prices are too high to begin with? The only reason I will go there is to test drive a car(s) and they are likely to have a couple of makes and models I am interested in for comparison. Is that bad hehe?

Issues not withstanding, I felt I got a very good deal from CarMax. Couldn't find a similar car at another dealer or private seller at that price.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-13-2016, 10:39 AM
JarrodS JarrodS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE USA
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 106
Mein Auto: 2012 E93 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftylee View Post
Issues not withstanding, I felt I got a very good deal from CarMax. Couldn't find a similar car at another dealer or private seller at that price.
x2. It really seems to depend on the make/model and how many of them they have. I feel their pricing model must be strongly influenced by supply. We got a great deal on our MB, and they had like 15 of them on the lot. No other place in town could touch that price for a comparable vehicle. BMWs, not so much - at any given time ours seems to only have 2-3 of them, and they are priced too high.

Last edited by JarrodS; 06-13-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-13-2016, 11:00 AM
Shiftylee Shiftylee is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 75
Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertable
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrodS View Post
x2. It really seems to depend on the make/model and how many of them they have. I feel their pricing model must be strongly influenced by supply. We got a great deal on our MB, and they had like 15 of them on the lot. No other place in town could touch that price for a comparable vehicle. BMWs, not so much - at any given time ours seems to only have 2-3 of them, and they are priced too high.

The sedans were certainly not a deal for the 3 or 5 series. No question there. Only the convertible was priced well.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-14-2016, 12:02 PM
328iblack's Avatar
328iblack 328iblack is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston,SC
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 786
Mein Auto: 335is 2011
Where I live the prices at carmax are about the same as the negotiated price for a certified Bmw from a BMW dealer. I definitely would go with the certified car. Carmax does not negotiate, BMW dealers do .
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-14-2016, 12:17 PM
328iblack's Avatar
328iblack 328iblack is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston,SC
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 786
Mein Auto: 335is 2011
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1465931460.749161.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	567250Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1465931479.294462.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	567251Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1465931479.294462.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	567251

Ok here is an example of what I am talking about. Please see photos. First of all there are tons of 328's out there all over the country. The best way to get a deal is to be flexible about where you can get the car. With a little negotiation you can get that certified car listed here for about 22500. That's 3,000 dollars less than the carmax car and its certified with a certified warranty. I just looked real quick, but you can find similar cars with miles to what you bought certified at a BMW dealer and then negotiate the price down from their . There were several 2013 328's certified at about this same price.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.